Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
qzmstrspd

New Geocaching App

I started using the new app and all went well until about a week ago, then the compass page started locking up. It would indicate a distance and direction, but the distance would not decrease until the alert for getting close went off and then would not change but the direction did change. While viewing the cache description and activities the horizontal bar graph indicator functioned correctly giving a direction and distance.

Was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem?

Referring to the Geocache App on iPhone? The problem I have is when nearing a cache and the message about getting close appears I cannot trust the direction and distance. I kind of goes all over the place. For instance, I come to a cache and when I get about 30 feet the message appears, I press okay and try to follow the direction bar. It says east about 17 feet, so I go that direction and distance and it then says north 8 feet. So I go that way and am told it is west 25 feet. I t appears that when I am close the iPhone doesn't really know. I try triangulation I and that doesn't work the best. I know I am close to where it is recorded as being.

I use my Garmin eTrex 20 then (as long as the info is uploaded to it) and that is tricky in itself. I tell it to "Go there" and need to walk in any direction to get a feel for the right direction and distance. Ity also sends goofy forsection at times. I guess if we a were told exactly where caches are and the instruments worked perfectly, the hunt would be less interesting.

I'm moving this thread from the "old app" forum to the "new app" forum.

I was just about to start a new thread when I came across this one. My iPhone will say it is 246 feet (or whatever) from the cache. The compass indicator works. I then walk toward the cache and the footage stays at 246 feet. I have found that I can close the compass page and then select the compass page again and the distance will refresh. It still locks at this new distance however. When I get to about 60 feet away, the proximity alarm goes off and when I hit ok to go back to the compass page I find that it has refreshed the distance again. It still freezes the distance however. I have tried deleting the geocaching app and reinstalling but this did not help. It did not used to do this on my phone. I don't know if it is app related or phone related but it sure messes up my geocaching experience.

I had the same problem today - the compass indicator stayed at whatever reading it had until I exited, and went back in.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just bring back the old app?

TB

We released an update today that should fix this issue. Please let us know if you continue to experience the bug after the update.

I just downloaded the update and the compass seems to work now. Thanks, Ben H!