How to install a decal

acachebox

some of them are stickers, some are static clings. When you peel back, you'll know which kind you got. The static clings are meant to go on the inside of the window facing out.

It was ordered to go on the outside as the window in darkened.

As I peal the paper there doesn't seam to be enough adhesive to cause cling. Is it water activated?

Peal off the back side (sticky side) to apply to the window. The lighter layer of paper (this paper is slightly sticky) on the face of the decal is pealed off after applying the decal to the window.

google: applying vinyl decals to car windows

Does that look like what you have?

The Google Search yielded 2 answers. One using water and one dry. Anyone have the tie breaker.

Peal off the back side (sticky side) to apply to the window. The lighter layer of paper (this paper is slightly sticky) on the face of the decal is pealed off after applying the decal to the window.

google: applying vinyl decals to car windows

Does that look like what you have?

The Google Search yielded 2 answers. One using water and one dry. Anyone have the tie breaker.

Is it this one? One of the reviews has a tip for using Scotch tape.

Lots of information there but it does not mention as a definite fact as to whether or not the window should be dry when applying. My guess is dry.

From the reviews people have been questioning this to Geospeak for years. You would think they could just print the instruction on the backing paper.

Lots of information there but it does not mention as a definite fact as to whether or not the window should be dry when applying. My guess is dry.

From the reviews people have been questioning this to Geospeak for years. You would think they could just print the instruction on the backing paper.

Many stickers require the use of water to which a few drops of detergent are added. This is then lightly sprayed onto the surface to which the sticker is to be applied. This helps position the sticker.

Remove the paper or plastic film layer protecting the adhesive surface of the sticker. Apply the sticker gradually to the surface working from one side to the other while trying to avoid getting air bubbles. Once applied again spray a little of the water detergent solution to the surface and, using the edge of a credit card, or similar, gently work out any remaining air bubbles. When done, gently wipe dry.

If it is a multiple piece sticker it will have a third layer on top, holding all the components in place until the application is complete after which it can be gently peeled away.

If any air bubbles are left that can't be removed, prick them with a pin or needle to let the air out.

Many stickers require the use of water to which a few drops of detergent are added. This is then lightly sprayed onto the surface to which the sticker is to be applied. This helps position the sticker.

Remove the paper or plastic film layer protecting the adhesive surface of the sticker. Apply the sticker gradually to the surface working from one side to the other while trying to avoid getting air bubbles. Once applied again spray a little of the water detergent solution to the surface and, using the edge of a credit card, or similar, gently work out any remaining air bubbles. When done, gently wipe dry.

If it is a multiple piece sticker it will have a third layer on top, holding all the components in place until the application is complete after which it can be gently peeled away.

If any air bubbles are left that can't be removed, prick them with a pin or needle to let the air out.

I'd never heard of using a soap solution to help with the application of stickers like this.

I assumed that the OP was referring to water slide decals (the kind used for scale modeling) when he referred to "wetting" or "water activated".

I guess I learned something.

I have my trackable decal on the car window but held on by tape presently. Hopefully, I can get in on properly. How do I get this trackable published? Right now it says it is in my hands, I did use the trackable entry page but that doesn't seem to have it online and available for people to find and record.

I have my trackable decal on the car window but held on by tape presently. Hopefully, I can get in on properly. How do I get this trackable published? Right now it says it is in my hands, I did use the trackable entry page but that doesn't seem to have it online and available for people to find and record.

You have a car decal TB named "My Decal". It's online and ready to be discovered. Geocachers may make a "Discovered" log by entering the Tracking Code and typing a log. It can be very rare to see a car TB log. You'll get some at Events, as cachers pass the parked cars. Most of my logs I made myself on my car TB, when visiting caches. Photos and all, just like I'd wish everybody would make when they log my TBs.

I had a car vinyl TB, and stuck it to a piece of metal to make a window "sign". I then stuck a couple of tongue depressors onto the back of it, one at the bottom, one at the side. These tucked into the panels at the side and bottom inside the back window, to position the sign in view, and it was easy to remove for cleaning the window. You could stick yours to a stiff material and make a sign out of it. Then you don't have to wait for warm weather. :anicute:

The decals (or vinyl) won't last forever. You can set up a TB in other ways, although if there's not at least a "Geocaching Logo", it gets logged even more rarely. Mine is not even in view, except on special occasions. I have a magnetic sign for the trunk, and a laminated card for the rear window. Most of the time, there's no such thing in view, very mysterious. When there's a log at that point (no sign, no visible number), it's pretty cool! But, yeah. Rare.

Edited by kunarion

My vinyl cling decal works best for me from inside a building, not a vehicle. I opted to use my TB tracking numbers to have this Custom Sticker made for my vehicle.

I got my magnetic sign made by that company. But from now on, I will only do business with a company that has at least an email address. If there's a problem with the order (which there was), I require a way to get it resolved. YMMV.

My vinyl cling decal works best for me from inside a building, not a vehicle. I opted to use my TB tracking numbers to have this Custom Sticker made for my vehicle.

I got my magnetic sign made by that company. But from now on, I will only do business with a company that has at least an email address. If there's a problem with the order (which there was), I require a way to get it resolved. YMMV.

Reminds me of our Straight Outta Manville vehicle stickers I bought at a local shop. One was spelled wrong, and I did not notice until I got home. :anicute:

I have more than one vehicle TB, and lot's of other "vacation" stickers. I prefer the peel and stick kind. :)

I prefer the peel and stick kind. :)

Is that a plastic sticker? No real "adhesive", just generally a somewhat sticky material? Or more like a bumper sticker?

I now have a car that has a magnetic trunk. Didn't know they made those anymore :anicute:. So I got a little magnetic TB sign. It's OK. But if I was a millionaire, I'd get one of those TB number vanity license plates. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion
I prefer the peel and stick kind. :)

Is that a plastic sticker? No real "adhesive", just generally a somewhat sticky material? Or more like a bumper sticker?

I now have a car that has a magnetic trunk. Didn't know they made those anymore :anicute:. So I got a little magnetic TB sign. It's OK. But if I was a millionaire, I'd get one of those TB number vanity license plates. :anibad:

The ones I have are cut vinyl with adhesive backing, just common print shop kinda stuff. Our State offers quite a few different vanity license plates, geocaching is just not one of them. I'll stick with my Don't Tread on Me plates, but for a little extra I could add a tracking number if wanted.

Our State offers quite a few different vanity license plates, geocaching is just not one of them. I'll stick with my Don't Tread on Me plates, but for a little extra I could add a tracking number if wanted.

The specialty plates have a large badge to one side (for whatever theme). I hope there's room for at least six digits on such a plate. One I bought (wildlife plate) had 5 digits. And a $40 yearly additional fee (no fee at first, sneaky). Wildlife is too expensive. :angry:

Edited by kunarion

All this information about magnetic and other types of decal is interesting but my question related to the TB decals that sold by the Gepcaching web site.

Do they require wetting of the glass or not? Since no instruction came with the decal I don't want to run the risk of wasting it on a mistaken application.

All this information about magnetic and other types of decal is interesting but my question related to the TB decals that sold by the Gepcaching web site.

Do they require wetting of the glass or not? Since no instruction came with the decal I don't want to run the risk of wasting it on a mistaken application.

Clean your glass and stick it to it. :laughing: Is this the one that you purchased?

Edited by Manville Possum

Clean. Peel. Stick.

No water.

Thanks- just based on what I saw on the web about that decal I wasn't sure. It made me think some other action may to be done. Keep it simple seems to apply here!

quote name='Great Scott!' timestamp='1489942598' post='5642347']

What do you mean by "get this trackable published" ?

You activate a trackable.

Your "My Decal" has been activated.

https://coord.info/TB89H61

People find and record it, when they see it on your vehicle and then log it online.

Keep in mind you can also design your own sticker once you have the private tracking code. I did this as well for The Dopplecar. Buy a tag, and before you may even receive it in the mail you could have a custom tag printed (if you're able to get the code that comes with the one you buy).

I ordered a cheaper static decal for interior use from a local friend who held it until we next met, but told me the private code so I could design a custom magnetic sticker for the outer rear. I got the latter long before the former :)

Point: if you think you got the wrong type of decal, or don't like the one you got, you can always create your own with a printing service instead of ordering a new one.

Well this was a disaster.

I tried to just peel the backing paper of the decal. The paper remained stuck to 40% of the decal retained the decal. I wetted the hole thing hoping the paper would release from the decal. Maybe 80% of it leaving a fine layer of paper still on the decal. I placed the decal on a plate and slowly scraped the wet paper off it.

When I placed the decal on the car I found that there were still small areas, on the thinner lines of the decal, that had paper between it and the window.

I wanted to post a picture for you but do not have a way of assigning a URL to my picture.

It was a custom decal.

Edited by acachebox

Clean your glass and stick it to it. :laughing: Is this the one that you purchased?

Yes Thanks

It was a custom decal.

So... the one that Manville Possum linked to isn't the one you purchased...

Sorry, but if you provide faulty details here, you're likely going to get faulty responses. If you purchased a custom decal from somewhere, you should consult wherever you purchased it from for instructions.

Well this was a disaster.

I tried to just peel the backing paper of the decal. The paper remained stuck to 40% of the decal retained the decal. I wetted the hole thing hoping the paper would release from the decal. Maybe 80% of it leaving a fine layer of paper still on the decal. I placed the decal on a plate and slowly scraped the wet paper off it.

When I placed the decal on the car I found that there were still small areas, on the thinner lines of the decal, that had paper between it and the window.

I wanted to post a picture for you but do not have a way of assigning a URL to my picture.

It was a custom decal.

A custom decal sold in the Groundspeak Geocaching Store ???

A custom decal sold in the Groundspeak Geocaching Store ???

I bought the decal from the Groundspeak Store as a Custom decal. They do not make the decals but rather buy them in bulk form a suppler and offer them from the store. They suggested I contact their suppler directly and have the Custom decal made to order. So the adhesion of the decal should have been the same as any one bought at the store

My problem may have resulted from the fact that I got the decal 2 months ago and that time laps may have allowed the paper to stick and thus not release as needed.

The suppler is a part time business so it will take a while to contact them and see if there is an answer.

Yikes. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. You just need to carefully peel off the backing keeping the sticker on the (Clear?) side. NO water added. Then apply it to a clean surface. Use a credit card or something to scrape it so it sticks to the car good. The carefully and slowly peel off the (I believe clear side of the sticker) if it starts to peel off then push back and more scraping with the credit card and then slowly remove.

Just installed this on my daughters car a couple of weeks ago. Her second one because it is her 3rd car. I transferred her first one to the second car. This one we needed to split for the bumper crack. It was to dark to put on her tinted windows.

17156213_1682315511782347_6468385533688829386_n.jpg?oh=931a4d3a452f50969ead589731365638&oe=59548365

Edited by WarNinjas

I bought the decal from the Groundspeak Store as a Custom decal. They do not make the decals but rather buy them in bulk form a suppler and offer them from the store. They suggested I contact their suppler directly and have the Custom decal made to order. So the adhesion of the decal should have been the same as any one bought at the store

My problem may have resulted from the fact that I got the decal 2 months ago and that time laps may have allowed the paper to stick and thus not release as needed.

The suppler is a part time business so it will take a while to contact them and see if there is an answer.

This makes no sense to me. You purchased the decal from Groundspeak, but your warranty is from a part time business? :unsure:

This makes no sense to me. You purchased the decal from Groundspeak, but your warranty is from a part time business? :unsure:

Makes sense to me. The store didn't manufacture the decal. They're not ultimately responsible for warranting its quality.

On most things these days, if one reads a product manual, one will normally find that the manufacturer asks that one contact them with issues rather than return it to the store.

The key phrase being, if one reads a product manual.

You just need to carefully peel off the backing keeping the sticker on the (Clear?) side.

The thing is, there are numerous different styles of decals, and the instructions for mounting them will vary. Just a few styles that I've seen used for trackable decals include:

• Clear decal with the logo printed on it and the adhesive on the back (like the one you stuck to a bumper)
  • Clear decal with the logo printed on it and the adhesive on the front (this is what I have; it allows you to stick it to the inside of a window)
  • Clear decal with the logo printed on it and a "cling" adhesive on the front (rather than a sticker-like glue, this is more-easily removable/transferrable to other surfaces)
  • A multi-piece decal where there isn't a clear surface between the printed portions, but rather the printed portions are each their own separate decal. These come with paper on the front and back holding everything in place, so you peel one paper, stick all the pieces as one unit to the surface, then peel the other paper that was keeping them together.

In the end, it sounds like there was either a production flaw with the decal that prevented the backing from releasing properly, or the 2-month delay caused the backing/adhesive to improperly adhere to each other.

Makes sense to me. The store didn't manufacture the decal. They're not ultimately responsible for warranting its quality.

On most things these days, if one reads a product manual, one will normally find that the manufacturer asks that one contact them with issues rather than return it to the store.

The key phrase being, if one reads a product manual.

Yep, warranty and money-back/satisfaction guarantee or whatnot are different. The manufacturer offers the warranty (though it could be handled by proxy) which is purely about maintaining the products viability. IF the merchant that sells you the product includes some other clause and condition about the exchange of money based on the product quality, that's a different beast. The merchant may occasionally be able to handle both, but generally the manufacturer will require a proof of purchase (or possibly a serial number) by which they can determine if the product is in warranty and covered by their own offer for fixing or replacement for reduced or no cost.

... Groundspeak won't offer a warranty as they're a reseller of most of the product. But if the product is faulty through no fault of your own, they may offer a replacement (and likely take the loss up with the manufacturer). But, if you contact the maker of the decal and explain the problem, if again it's no fault of your own, they too may offer to send a replacement. But unless somewhere there was a money-back offer, you're SOL on a refund.