App for Windows Store

There was a Geocaching App for the Windows phone platform, that was discontinued and stopped operating in June 2016. I have not heard any announcements about plans to revisit that decision. Geocaching HQ is concentrating its efforts on the two surviving apps for the Android and iPhone platforms.

From an FAQ document at the time the Windows app was retired:

Why are you retiring the Geocaching Live app?

Parting ways with a product that we built and many of you enjoy is not an easy thing. The decision to retire this app was based on its current usage compared to the ongoing resources required to maintain it. You can continue to play the game on your Windows Phone by using one of the partner applications we support. Search for “geocaching” in the Windows App Store to find an alternative app.

The "Geocaching Plus" app that I still run on my phone is working, but I can't sign in, and caches placed after March 23rd 2017 can't be seen. This app is going to be unusable soon, with caches being disabled and other being newly placed every day.

I don't want to buy the "Maloo geocaching" app which is available on the Windows store because I think it has exactly the same problem. Does someone know ?

So, the question is, for people having a Windows Phone running on Windows 8.1 (which is my case), there is no other choice than to "upgrade hardware" ?

Is this what we call planned obsolescence ? Having no other choice than buying a new Chinese-made electronics while having already a perfectly working phone ?

Big disappointment.

:(

The "Geocaching Plus" app that I still run on my phone is working, but I can't sign in, and caches placed after March 23rd 2017 can't be seen. This app is going to be unusable soon, with caches being disabled and other being newly placed every day.

I use "Geocaching Pro" (The premium version of "geocaching plus") and it works fine. I have just opened a geocache that was posted on May 8, 2017 without a problem.

The only problem with the app since a few weeks: I can't log any TBs anymore.