Android phone - new app

While traveling to the Colorado River from Arizona. We were not able to pull up any caches in the new app when searching our location. Turned on the Old geocaching.com program and zap there were lots of caches in our location. I have 4 bars on my phone but it will not show me caches where I am parked. What's going on?? PLEASE DO NOT ARCHIVE THE OLD APPLICATION THAT I PAID FOR IN THE BEGINNING. It works just fine. The new app WILL NOT show me any caches on the map. It is worthless to me !!!!! Can you explain why I do not get any caches to show up and yes I did check the filters. HELP

I've had it happen before where I open the app and the map doesn't show any geocaches, even though I know there are geocaches in the area.

One thing I've done that has helped is to tap the 'bullseye' symbol at the upper-right of the map.

Another thing I've done before is to tap the 'magnifying glass' symbol as if doing a search, and then hitting the back button.

Not sure if either of these will help you, but the Classic App is not coming back, so hopefully you can get the new app to work for you. Good luck!

I've had it happen before where I open the app and the map doesn't show any geocaches, even though I know there are geocaches in the area.

One thing I've done that has helped is to tap the 'bullseye' symbol at the upper-right of the map.

Another thing I've done before is to tap the 'magnifying glass' symbol as if doing a search, and then hitting the back button.

Not sure if either of these will help you, but the Classic App is not coming back, so hopefully you can get the new app to work for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the info Last night I deleted the app and rebooted the phone then did a fresh download of the app and it worked. I will keep in mind what you said if it acts up again. Thank You Carol

The thing I don't like about the new app is that on selecting a cache the screen becomes one with a tiny, useless map while 2/3 of the screen is taken up by the cache details - which I don't really need to help me navigate to the cache.

Is this the norm now? If so, it's pretty awful :(

On the main screen that comes up when you start the app you tap on a cache you want to go to. The green dot gets larger. If you don't want to read about the cache just press the green start arrow bottom right corner. Then you have you full size map and directions. From there you can tap on the compass upper right green area. From the first screen and you tap on the cache yes you will get the details. Then after reading tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen and you see the whole page map. From there you can also tap on the compass upper right green area. Does this clarify for you? Try it and let me know.

Carol

The thing I don't like about the new app is that on selecting a cache the screen becomes one with a tiny, useless map while 2/3 of the screen is taken up by the cache details - which I don't really need to help me navigate to the cache.

On the main screen that comes up when you start the app you tap on a cache you want to go to. The green dot gets larger. If you don't want to read about the cache just press the green start arrow bottom right corner. Then you have you full size map and directions. From there you can tap on the compass upper right green area. From the first screen and you tap on the cache yes you will get the details. Then after reading tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen and you see the whole page map. From there you can also tap on the compass upper right green area. Does this clarify for you? Try it and let me know.

Carol

That works beautifully - thanks :)

What I had been doing was clicking the START arrow from the cache details page - which results in trying to navigate using the details page with a tiny strip of map :(

I've found, with your help, that I can back out of the details page, back to the large map and click the START arrow from there - which allows navigation on the full-screen map B)

Groundspeak - if you're listening - not the most intuitive bit of interface work that ever happened.

Carol

That works beautifully - thanks :)

What I had been doing was clicking the START arrow from the cache details page - which results in trying to navigate using the details page with a tiny strip of map :(

I've found, with your help, that I can back out of the details page, back to the large map and click the START arrow from there - which allows navigation on the full-screen map B)

Groundspeak - if you're listening - not the most intuitive bit of interface work that ever happened.

It was all going so well - and then I discovered the fly in the ointment.

Things break down when I receive an email from geocaching.com with a hyperlink to a geocache.

If I click on that link and tell my droid to open it in the new geocaching app, the new geocaching app opens that cache and goes straight to the details page - the one with the tiny map.

At that point, if I try to 'back out' I exit the app rather than going to the page with the large map.

This is a problem if I want to hunt for a cache using the new app and starting from a hyperlink in a Groundspeak email :(

Edited by Team Microdot

It was all going so well - and then I discovered the fly in the ointment.

Things break down when I receive an email from geocaching.com with a hyperlink to a geocache.

If I click on that link and tell my droid to open it in the new geocaching app, the new geocaching app opens that cache and goes straight to the details page - the one with the tiny map.

At that point, if I try to 'back out' I exit the app rather than going to the page with the large map.

This is a problem if I want to hunt for a cache using the new app and starting from a hyperlink in a Groundspeak email :(

When you're on the cache details page, you can press the Start button under the small map strip. Then press on that map strip, and it should open a larger map with the orange line showing direction to the cache.

ETA: Nevermind, this doesn't work when the cache details page is opened directly from an email link. I tried it again and clicking the tiny map doesn't open the larger one. I thought it was working, but my earlier test cache was opened a different way.

Edited by noncentric