Deleting Caches from a List (PQ)

When we cache, we do so offline using Pocket Queries.. In addition, we do not log caches until we get home -- . Especially when traveling. You know. Like not posting Photos and notes on Facebook to let burglars know our house is available for shopping.

We are quite pleased that Drafts have been added to the new app so we can actually use the new app instead of giving up Geocaching on March 24th.

However, it has now come to our attention after a day of caching with the new app, that we cannot remove a cache from an online list (PQ) after we have created a Draft log for it.

First of all, for the pleasure of visually seeing a hole in the map where we have been busy. Secondarily, to visually see immediately which caches are still waiting to be found instead of having to open a cache or two just to see that we recognize the name as already hunted.

Unless, of course, in the new highly-intuitive UI on the new app (dripping sarcasm, anyone?), we have just missed finding how to delete items from a saved list.

We can be using a PQ for days on end as we travel, and it is handy to clear found (or DNF) caches from the PQ list. After all, until we actually POST the draft log, the website has no way to know.

Edited by MMGeoGeezer
We are quite pleased that Drafts have been added to the new app so we can actually use the new app instead of giving up Geocaching on March 24th.

However, it has now come to our attention after a day of caching with the new app, that we cannot remove a cache from an online list (PQ) after we have created a Draft log for it.

The ability to delete a list item either offline or online would be good.

I would like to have drafts create the "Found" icon offline just as a "Log" does offline, and have that icon show in the list (and on the map), all offline. Maybe there's an interface reason to disallow deletion of list items while the App is offline (a "sync" kind of thing). The changed icon would then indicate which caches are unfound, and help the user decide which items to delete once online. At least have the listed caches indicate that there is a "draft", within the list.

Edited by kunarion

Well, all I am asking for is what the Classic app provided. Seems like a simple request, but then look how long it took to get downloadable lists, maps, and "Drafts".

We are/were able to delete single items (caches) in the downloaded lists (Pocket Queries). The cache icon then no longer appeared on the map while looking at the list. Naturally, it would be visible if one did a "Find Nearby" while near by.

I'd say there is no reason they shouldn't still be able to do so, but there is no way of knowing what "they" would use as an excuse.

In addition, we have found (I will search the forums for anyone who has asked the question) that unlike Pocket Queries downloaded in the Classic app, the data disappears from the list when the PQ has outlived its week of existence.

We have PQ's in the Classic app that we downloaded for our trip to Atlanta for the Washington Huskies ill-fated bid for the College National Championship back in December.

Just this afternoon when my wife checked for caches in a downloaded PQ, the (new) app told us that we had not saved any caches to the list. The caches were all there yesterday, but today is a week after the list was generated. I regenerated the PQ and was able to get the contents back by refreshing the list on all our devices.

Using week-old data has, in the past, led to confusion when the cache for which we were searching was retired the day after our list was generated, so I suppose they are doing us a favor.

But the purpose in using downloaded PQ's is to not be a slave to an internet connection (or being able to safely leave civilization behind and still have the cache data.

It may not happen often, but a scenario we could have easily run into is traveling in China for 2 weeks with unreliable and spotty wifi access. We could have gotten a connection 8 days after leaving home, opened the app to upload Field Notes, but not check for caches until the next day. At that time, the data is gone and our next wifi access is 3 days away.

The problem is, this app is designed for those who are seldom without the cell leash.

Just this afternoon when my wife checked for caches in a downloaded PQ, the (new) app told us that we had not saved any caches to the list. The caches were all there yesterday, but today is a week after the list was generated. I regenerated the PQ and was able to get the contents back by refreshing the list on all our devices.

I did not know that happens. Is it one week, then it gets deleted, for either Lists or PQs? I checked my App just now and it has nothing pre-loaded. I'd better keep an eye on that.

this app is designed for those who are seldom without the cell leash

It seems like a great App online. If I had a data subscription, I'd use it online, for the most up-to-date cache info in the current area. Offline, I'm sticking with my GPSr, although I also have Apps that I can load with Pocket Queries (and the caches remain installed, no expiration date) in case I need something not on the GPSr. A backup database. I can't stand Apps in general for actual Geocaching. A Garmin Oregon (for example) is already programmed for 100% offline Geocaching, and works well for that purpose. OK, it also can't delete caches from its list, but I never thought that was an issue. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I suspect that when a list is created from an app search, it has no time limit. I hadn't given any thought to this, but just this afternoon, I needed to created a list for an area not covered by my multiple PQ's for the area. When I opened my wife's iPad to duplicate the process, I found the list already present. So I assume THAT list will remain available until I delete it.

Regarding the Garmin Oregon,I am sure it works like my Garmin 30 and changes the cache icon to an open chest, so it doesn't need to be deleted to avoid confusion. Fact of the matter, once tagged as found, the found caches no longer appear on the cache search list. It just happens that the app (Classic or new) makes no changes to indicate the change in status. And that's why we always (used to) delete them from the PQ.

Naturally, when we get home, logging the drafts creates a smiley and removes them from our searchs. But even then, if for some reason we continued using the PQ, it would not reflect a change unless we refreshed the list.

I suspect that when a list is created from an app search, it has no time limit. I hadn't given any thought to this, but just this afternoon, I needed to created a list for an area not covered by my multiple PQ's for the area. When I opened my wife's iPad to duplicate the process, I found the list already present. So I assume THAT list will remain available until I delete it.

Regarding the Garmin Oregon,I am sure it works like my Garmin 30 and changes the cache icon to an open chest, so it doesn't need to be deleted to avoid confusion. Fact of the matter, once tagged as found, the found caches no longer appear on the cache search list. It just happens that the app (Classic or new) makes no changes to indicate the change in status. And that's why we always (used to) delete them from the PQ.

When operating online or offline, The App should be as seamless as possible. That is, if I get a "Smiley" icon online, I should get one offline. Things like that. I'd bet the developers will make it better in that regard over time. But it's fine to remind them. :anicute: