Theft of caches

Having geocached for some time now I know the excitement we experience when we find a really clever cache. I have hidden 3 caches myself, two of which were quirky and initiative in their design.

The first was a polystyrene Apple hollowed out with a film case inside to hold the cache and hidden in a tree. It managed 24 hours before being stolen.

This was then replaced by a tube covered in sticky-backed plastic to make it look like a log...today we find that is now missing.

We have made our own clever magnetic container to hide behind a sign and again, we find that is also gone.

The only cache we still have remaining is in a boring Tupperware box!

It seems such a shame that someone would take these caches - probably because they are unusual. Surely it would be better to contact the owner and say how great it is and ask for tips on making their own, rather than helping themselves to someone else's.

Does anyone else have this problem that their caches are removed? It's so disappointing.

In our area, we noticed that caches where "stealth" is required don't seem to have a long life.

Public areas that are popular with many folks often have the same fate.

I believe that non-cachers are the ones that grab them most times, after noticing another (or maybe a few people) spending time at one spot in particular. :)

We did an experiment once at a heavily-visted local fishing area.

Cheapy tackleboxes, with maybe a couple hooks and a bobber inside (all bought from a dollar store), placed along the trail.

I told the other 2/3rds how different times are today, that these could sit for a couple days years ago, maybe finally given to park personnel, but I'd bet not many would last long today.

So we wanted to see if folks would be curious to look inside then leave 'em alone, thinking the owner might be back, or "finders keepers" and gone.

- None survived a weekend.

I can understand the curious, wondering what the to-do's about, but carting it off is a part of values today I just don't get.

I believe that non-cachers are the ones that grab them most times, after noticing another (or maybe a few people) spending time at one spot in particular. :)

+1

Plenty of otherwise cool hiding places that seem quiet, are popular hangouts or spots where people gather. Not "Geocaching", just taking or trashing anything they find. I've placed caches and then got logs mentioning how there were caches previously, but that nobody could keep one there because they'd always get muggled. Sometimes, when I see a surprisingly available cache spot, I ask long-time caching friends in advance now. :anicute:

We did an experiment once at a heavily-visted local fishing area.

Cheapy tackleboxes, with maybe a couple hooks and a bobber inside (all bought from a dollar store), placed along the trail.

I told the other 2/3rds how different times are today, that these could sit for a couple days years ago, maybe finally given to park personnel, but I'd bet not many would last long today.

Several of my caches were in place for weeks or months before activation. If a container can't remain untouched there unactivated, I definitely won't make it an actual cache.

Edited by kunarion

We didn't have any hides that required stealth to access, just common sense, but some acted as if it was needed.

We were having issues with our lower D/T hides when the free Intro app came out.

No investement in the hobby, few bothered to even see how the "game" was played.

Ammo cans disappeared, to be found elsewhere, and finally all but one of our low D/T hides were archived.

Now that most our hides are higher terrain, we have few issues.

- But with this hobby now a game, and numbers matter, fewer active cachers hit 'em too. :laughing: