How do I get completion codes?

1Ghasthunter1

So I just finished my Wherigo(using Urwigo), and I need a completion code. Here is one thing I am doing:

At the final stage of the cache, in the physical container, there is a little 7-digit code that I am using as an input. If the user enters the code correctly, the Cartridge is marked as complete. So, here's the only problem. I don't know how the user can unlock the Wherigo online and take credit for it.

So, the prompt:

How can I add a completion code into my cartridge that can be entered in Wherigo.com?

I don't know how the user can unlock the Wherigo online and take credit for it.

I assume this thread and response from 2011 is still true for Urwigo - completion code

Few will bother to write down or use a completion code. It has nothing to do with logging the physical cache on Geocaching.com, and it does little for the user who takes the time to use it on Wherigo.com. On Wherigo.com, no stats are generated for the person who unlocks a cart. There's no credit attached to unlocking a cart.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Few will bother to write down or use a completion code.

Very true. What I have done is taken a screenshot when the completion code appears, but it felt underwhelming to enter that code into Wherigo.com because it seemed like an unecessary bookkeeping task after logging the find on geocaching.com itself.

I agree with the sentiment. There simply isn't any benefit to unlocking a cartridge on Wherigo.com. You can't filter out completed cartridges, there aren't any stats, you can't do a search for the ones you've completed, there aren't any badges or achievements, and you can't see who else completed a cartridge, not to mention the cache owner can't verify completion codes to user accounts. All you get is that completed/unlocked word--and you still have to log the find over at gc.com. I don't even think I get an email notification when someone else has written a log on one of my cartridges. There isn't a compelling reason to unlock cartridges or even log them on Wherigo.com. While that's a shame, that's the way things currently are.

I my area there are very few cartridges but when a new one is published a small but very dedicated group of players is very eager to get the completion code to unlock the cartridge on Wherigo.com. When I forget to provide it, I will get complaints very soon. On most of my cartridges about 30% of the found it logs on geocaching.com also entered the completion code on Wherigo.com .

There isn't a compelling reason to unlock cartridges...

For other players and the cartridge owner it shows the total number of completions on the cartridge listing page (on Wherigo.com). This gives an extra hint of the success rate because the log only enables you to mark it is as "played" (not necessarily completed).

There isn't a compelling reason to unlock cartridges or even log them on Wherigo.com.

Again, I disagree (a bit): I always liked that Wherigo.com logging provided an extra means to give your appreciation to the CO by the built-in rating system that formalizes more your experience than the geocaching.com favourite system. It also gives an overall average rating on the listing which again says a lot more than just the % favourites of premium members. The favo system is in a my opinion a weaker system as it as just a binary yes/no credit system.

I hope that the completion code and the rating system survives in the future of Wherigo (on the Wherigo Foundation?)

Again, I disagree (a bit): I always liked that Wherigo.com logging provided an extra means to give your appreciation to the CO by the built-in rating system that formalizes more your experience than the geocaching.com favourite system. It also gives an overall average rating on the listing which again says a lot more than just the % favourites of premium members. The favo system is in a my opinion a weaker system as it as just a binary yes/no credit system.

You make a good point about the rating system. Unfortunately, any rating system is dependent on how many ratings are submitted. There are so few cachers logging their finds on Wherigo.com and therefore only a few cartridges have ratings, which are based only on those that expended the extra effort to log their find on Wherigo.com Presumably, people will only log their activity on Wherigo.com if they had success with the cartridge and especially if they enjoyed it, which then skews the ratings to the positive.

I looked at a few cartridges that are associated with caches and noticed the following:

-- 43 Wherigo logs, 336 geocaching finds

-- 7 Wherigo logs, 253 geocaching finds

-- 6 Wherigo logs, 224 geocaching finds

-- 4 Wherigo logs, 140 geocaching finds

Of course, there are cartridges that are not associated with caches. I don't know if people completing those cartridges are more likely to submit logs to Wherigo.com, compared to geocachers. Geocachers will log their finds on geocaching.com and so they might not log on Wherigo.com because it would be 'extra' effort, but players that complete non-geocache cartridges would only have one place (Wherigo.com) to submit their logs and so they might be more likely to log there.