Premium new app

Sorry if this question is already lifted..

I don´t really care if it cost 30€ or something to use the new app or if you have to be premium to use it BUT...

When I put out a cache that I don´t want every newbie to trash, it is a good idea to make it available for just premium members.

Now when all have to be premium this option is closed?

Have I misunderstand this or am I right?3

Best cacheregards

//T. Hasselvik

We don't all have to be premium. It looks that way, but it's not true.

There are other Geocaching apps someone can use without the restrictions of the official app, or even use their computer and an old-fashioned GPSr (no apps at all).

It's probably true that many people think they're forced into a premium membership, and therefore PMO caches are visible my more casual users than before. But if users stop to think, they will hopefully realize they don't have to use the official app and its forcing people into paid membership. :)

One doesn't have to be a pm to cache...

The D/T ratings on most of your caches should keep "newbies" with a basic account from accessing, since they're only allowed 1.5/1.5 traditionals.

We've noticed that it's often higher Terrain though that fends off most, basic and pms alike today.

However, we are seeing quite a few new folks going PM immediately with this new(er) app, which (I feel) kinda shows that making a hide pmo matters little today. :)

There are other Geocaching apps someone can use without the restrictions of the official app...

This comes up often enough that I decided to check on all but one not abiding with the site's API (and also not an iPhone app).

I've even asked one very popular, with an answer in these forums, and every one said they abide by the restrictions of the site's API.

Is that not true?

When I put out a cache that I don´t want every newbie to trash, it is a good idea to make it available for just premium members.

We were premium members a week after joining. A few years before this app...

Most of our friends became premium members within days or weeks of joining too.

"Newbies" with premium membership. :)

Funny, wonder why we never got the idea to trash caches...

There are other Geocaching apps someone can use without the restrictions of the official app...

This comes up often enough that I decided to check on all but one not abiding with the site's API (and also not an iPhone app).

I've even asked one very popular, with an answer in these forums, and every one said they abide by the restrictions of the site's API.

Is that not true?

There are restrictions of the site's API: 3 caches in 24 hours, for example.

But the 1.5/1.5 D/T restriction is only an official app restriction, not an API one. AND the other apps won't nag you to become a PM (I'm pretty sure, at least - I haven't tested them all out as a basic member to be sure they don't nag.)

:)

Is that not true?

There are restrictions of the site's API: 3 caches in 24 hours, for example.

But the 1.5/1.5 D/T restriction is only an official app restriction, not an API one. AND the other apps won't nag you to become a PM (I'm pretty sure, at least - I haven't tested them all out as a basic member to be sure they don't nag.)

According to the API documentation, the API restrictions are as follows:

a. Basic Members shall be limited to viewing full geocache details for up to 3 Geocaches per day.

b. Geocache search results for Basic Members shall be limited to Traditional Geocache Listings only.

c. Basic Members may request full geocache details for non-Traditional Geocaches using the GC reference code; however, they will remain subject to the limitation of 3 as set forth in section 1a above.

These are different restrictions than are seen on the official Geocaching app.

We were premium members a week after joining. A few years before this app...

Most of our friends became premium members within days or weeks of joining too.

"Newbies" with premium membership. :)

Funny, wonder why we never got the idea to trash caches...

I know that it doesn´t matter if you are a newbie or not, there are all kind of cachers out there, newbies doesn´t trash caches more than old ones (wrong formulated by me, sorry). but my main question is: The topic is about the new app for IOS and I assume that Groundspeak want all ios-users to use their app. To use their app and see more than the "introcaches" you have to be PM right? So what is the purpose to make a cache available only for PM any longer? (still considering the new app).

BR//T.Hasselvik

but my main question is: The topic is about the new app for IOS and I assume that Groundspeak want all ios-users to use their app. To use their app and see more than the "introcaches" you have to be PM right? So what is the purpose to make a cache available only for PM any longer? (still considering the new app).

BR//T.Hasselvik

I've seen quite a few posts where cachers 'threaten' to use a different app. I'm not sure whether Groundspeak would consider that a big loss. I mean, as long as people continue using geocaching.com, then I don't think they care what app is used (assuming the app is an API partner).

From what I can tell, Groundspeak does not gain anything from cachers using their app vs another app. The app doesn't show ads, so they're not getting any ad revenue. The new app is an expense for Groundspeak, and that expense is paid for with Premium Membership fees. If a cacher wants to use an API-partner app, then I'm not sure it's considered a big loss for Groundspeak.

I've seen quite a few posts where cachers 'threaten' to use a different app. I'm not sure whether Groundspeak would consider that a big loss. I mean, as long as people continue using geocaching.com, then I don't think they care what app is used (assuming the app is an API partner).

From what I can tell, Groundspeak does not gain anything from cachers using their app vs another app. The app doesn't show ads, so they're not getting any ad revenue. The new app is an expense for Groundspeak, and that expense is paid for with Premium Membership fees. If a cacher wants to use an API-partner app, then I'm not sure it's considered a big loss for Groundspeak.

I think the difference is the additional D/T restriction. This makes it more likely that an official app user would upgrade to premium when compared with the other API apps that show more caches by default (not counting the 3-full-listing restriction, which is common to all API apps).