How to send waypoints from Garmin 64s to Android smartphone

*Short answer:

No, not possible at the moment, although the hardware and software can likely talk to each other.

*Longer answer:

Once upon a time, Garmin's older version of the Basecamp Mobile app used to be able to send/receive waypoints over Bluetooth. I used this several times on an iPhone with success -- but have no idea if they ever supported Android OS. Unfortunately... last year Garmin pulled the Basecamp app and removed the wireless waypoint functionality. So now all you can do wirelessly with a smartphone and a GPSMAP 64S is utilize the live tracking via their Connect app.

I wrote an e-mail to Garmin asking if they planned to bring back these waypoint, etc. features, and their answer was "no".

IMHO, it's one thing to never have offered the feature at all, but another thing to support it initially, then just quietly take the features away hoping no one will notice. :blink:

Edited by Pacific NW

*Short answer:

No, not possible at the moment, although the hardware and software can likely talk to each other.

I think you missed the original question. He is not asking about transfering waypoints, but "position data". and he did not limit the question wireless transfer.

The 64 can certainly do this over the cable without trouble. It is just a question of whether or not there are Android programs that support Garmin USB protocol.

I think you missed the original question. He is not asking about transfering waypoints, but "position data". and he did not limit the question wireless transfer.

The 64 can certainly do this over the cable without trouble. It is just a question of whether or not there are Android programs that support Garmin USB protocol.

Well, it was easy to get confused, since the subject is "how to send waypoints..." but the body question was "how to send data". I did a search for "NMEA" in the Google Play store and had 5 or 6 apps come up, some of them supporting Bluetooth transfer from a GPS device. Sounds like there might be a potential somewhere in there.