Release Notes (Website and Geocaching® app: Drafts) - March 9, 2017

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes (Website and Geocaching® app) - March 9, 2017

With this release, we have added Drafts, a cross-platform queue of unfinished logs. Drafts you create in the Geocaching® app are automatically saved to your account so you can finish them later in the app or on Geocaching.com. This feature was formerly known as Field Notes.

To create a Draft in the Geocaching® app

Go to the cache details page.

Select your log type (Found It, DNF, Write Note) and toggle from logging mode to drafting mode.

Select Save.

To return to a Draft in the Geocaching® app

Tap the ( ☰ ) menu.

Select Drafts.

Tap the Draft to edit it, or select the (⋯) menu to delete or post the log.

To return to a Draft on Geocaching.com

Make sure you’re logged into your geocaching account.

Click Play from the main menu.

Click Drafts.

To return to a Draft from your Geocaching.com account page

Scroll down the sidebar menu until Drafts.

Click Access your Drafts.

Functionality to award a Favorite point or add photo to a draft is coming soon.

For players who upload batches of field notes to the website from their GPS unit, nothing changes except the terminology. Your workflow remains the same.

Also, please note it may take up to two days for some users of the Geocaching® app for Android to have access to the update that includes this functionality.

Ben H. from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

I created a test draft on my iPhone app and saved it. I checked on geocaching.com that it entered the text in my personal cache note which is where I wanted it. I went back to the app and cannot see where in the menu that I can edit this draft or read it. Specifically, how do I get back to the draft on the app? I don't see the three lines that your note refers to.

Secondly, I want to be able to read all of my drafts, or personal cache notes, in the app. I often get calls from friends that want a hint when I am away from my laptop. I want to be able to read these notes in the app. Can I do this? How?

II went back to the app and cannot see where in the menu that I can edit this draft or read it. Specifically, how do I get back to the draft on the app? I don't see the three lines that your note refers to.

I didn't notice it at first either, but you need to tap the three line "More" icon at the very bottom-right of the app.

app_more.png

Just to make sure I'm understanding this: these really are just field notes, right? When they called them "drafts", I thought I'd be able to save a draft of a log I was adding on the website and then come back later to edit and post it, something I've often wanted to do. But I don't see anything in the web UI for that, so I gather these can only be created on the GPSr.

But I don't see anything in the web UI for that, so I gather these can only be created on the GPSr.

For now, you're right: you can not start a draft on geocaching.com. Today's release was primarily about adding drafts to the app. The website changes were more cosmetic to maintain consistency between app and web. We may revisit the tools related to drafts on geocaching.com as we continue to build out the feature in the app.

Are there any plans to allow users to skip downloading maps for lists or do something to speed up the process? I have a series of 1000-cache lists that cover the areas that I travel. Since the functionality to automatically download maps was added, the download functionality has become useless. I have to babysit the phone to make sure it doesn't lock and kill the download. Even when I babysit the phone, the download inevitably stalls around 45% after several minutes of downloading. It's not a problem with my Internet connection being slow, it's with the app's download mechanism being slow.

The offline lists are important to me as I frequently travel in areas with no cell service, but the solution now is not viable. Either these performing better or give users the ability to skip maps so we can actually download our lists in a reasonable timeframe.

I had been patientlty waiting all week for the app to appear in the play store hoping to be able to use it this weekend. All of a sudden late Friday night it down loaded. Great I thought, I'll be able to try it out in today's outing. I get to my first cache and not only us draft option not avaliable nor is the ability to even log a cache as I used to do.

So, a bit of detail. I use my Garmin to cache with but a take along an old android phone on which I have have downloaded a list and offline data via wifi before I leave home to log all my finds on as I go around. I don't have a sim in it so I use the phone offline whilst out in the field. Up until the last release this has been a perfect combination. It seems that you can no longer actually log a cache whether in draft or normally. As soon as I got home and connected to wifi I was able to log caches and the draft option even showed up.

I hope it gets put right quickly.

Finally, It would be helpful if there was a global setting for drafts rather than having to select it every time.

Are there any plans to allow users to skip downloading maps for lists or do something to speed up the process? I have a series of 1000-cache lists that cover the areas that I travel. Since the functionality to automatically download maps was added, the download functionality has become useless. I have to babysit the phone to make sure it doesn't lock and kill the download. Even when I babysit the phone, the download inevitably stalls around 45% after several minutes of downloading. It's not a problem with my Internet connection being slow, it's with the app's download mechanism being slow.

The offline lists are important to me as I frequently travel in areas with no cell service, but the solution now is not viable. Either these performing better or give users the ability to skip maps so we can actually download our lists in a reasonable timeframe.

I agree, there should be a choice. Not only does it take longer, it offline maps do use a lot of storage space.

I'm using an iPhone 6 running 10.2.1 and had trouble after the update with the compass distance. The miles/feet number does not change as I get closer to the cache. The numbers under the cache title on the cache page to the right of the favorite points does change, giving accurate distance to destination. I haven't done much testing on other devices, but was wondering if this is a known bug.

It seems that you can no longer actually log a cache whether in draft or normally. As soon as I got home and connected to wifi I was able to log caches and the draft option even showed up.

Thanks for reporting the problem. This is a bug which we'll fix ASAP.

Finally, It would be helpful if there was a global setting for drafts rather than having to select it every time.

The draft toggle's position is "sticky" across multiple logs. If you prefer to write drafts and switch to drafting mode on one log, you should continue to see the toggle in draft position on subsequent logs until you switch it back. Please let us know if that's not happening for you.

I'm using an iPhone 6 running 10.2.1 and had trouble after the update with the compass distance. The miles/feet number does not change as I get closer to the cache. The numbers under the cache title on the cache page to the right of the favorite points does change, giving accurate distance to destination. I haven't done much testing on other devices, but was wondering if this is a known bug.

Thanks for reporting your issue. A few others users reported similar problems, so we're investigating.

It seems that you can no longer actually log a cache whether in draft or normally. As soon as I got home and connected to wifi I was able to log caches and the draft option even showed up.

Thanks for reporting the problem. This is a bug which we'll fix ASAP.

The draft toggle's position is "sticky" across multiple logs. If you prefer to write drafts and switch to drafting mode on one log, you should continue to see the toggle in draft position on subsequent logs until you switch it back. Please let us know if that's not happening for you.

Thanks Ben for getting back so quickly, I look forward to the bug fix and glad that logging in draft sticks once selected

I cannot download my 'owned' DB with the new caching app as I have done previously (classic) to check on my placed caches to see if their are any issues. Glad that I bought 2 450T Garmin's so I could check on my hides. { have sent $1,700 on devices to find FTF and other geocaches to date}, their is no owner maintence attributes on either android or iOS devices dating back since the first inception of the two app's .

Seems that Groundspeak using the API fails on all respects. Very happy that I can update GSAK across PC, and Android to other device applications.

I cannot download my 'owned' DB with the new caching app as I have done previously (classic) to check on my placed caches to see if their are any issues. Glad that I bought 2 450T Garmin's so I could check on my hides. { have sent $1,700 on devices to find FTF and other geocaches to date}, their is no owner maintence attributes on either android or iOS devices dating back since the first inception of the two app's .

Seems that Groundspeak using the API fails on all respects. Very happy that I can update GSAK across PC, and Android to other device applications.

Did you try adding your owned caches to a list? The new app can save lists so they are available even offline.

Used the new app during the week-end, was waiting for the offline maps.

I was able to create a list and put it offline. The track maps looks good.

But I could hardly distinguish the green and blue dots indicating traditional / mystery.

When approaching the cache, it gives a sound and visual message that you are in 20m reach. It annoyed me, to press everytime on the OK button.

Hoping that it would disappear after a few approaches, but it didn't. Couldn't find a setting to swich it off.

I prefer the swivelling map, but when you move the map, the swivelling mode is switching off.

Logging in offline modus, is working fine. Once connected it uploads the logs automatically.

Found no possibility during the logging, to write the log for dropping a TB.

From the TB-inventory screen, I can drop it, but it asks to select a cache from an empty map, because I am offline. Cannot select a cache from an offline list.

I hadn't realized the draft feature had been implemented until I happened to read Groundspeaks email. For me, this was the one feature that was keeping me from using the official app as my go-to caching app. It may have taken a long time to add, but thank you for finally getting this feature up and running!

Thanks for adding this functionality, and for quickly fixing a couple bugs with version 5.0.2. I normally use a GPSr, but entering field notes in the device can be a bit tedious. It's nice to now have the option of using the phone to create more detailed field notes and to be able to edit field notes that have been uploaded to the site, but not yet logged.

I really like that the beginning text of the field note is visible in the app without having to open each one.

I do have to reset my brain each time I open Drafts on the app, because it is ordered in reverse of what's on the website's field notes page. App shows most recent at top, while website shows most recent at bottom. Not sure that's such a bad thing, although for consistency it would be nice if both were the same.

Two requests:

(1) Having the time attached to the Draft log be correct. Presently, the time shown on the Field Notes page is 7 hours earlier than actual time. It was 8 hours before this past weekend. I understand this issue is connected to time zones across the entire app, whether a Draft log or a real-time log. Hopefully, this is something that's being worked on.

(2) A way to open the cache from the "Drafts" list. On the website, the cache name is clickable to open the cache page. Would be nice to see an "Open Cache Page" option in the Drafts "..." menu.

I notice that there is still no way to filter out caches on the "ignore list" as there was on the classic app. Is this still in the plans to add? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Caches on your ignore list are now filtered out from search results. If you want to open a cache you've ignored, you can still find it with a search by GC code.

Thanks for adding this functionality, and for quickly fixing a couple bugs with version 5.0.2. I normally use a GPSr, but entering field notes in the device can be a bit tedious. It's nice to now have the option of using the phone to create more detailed field notes and to be able to edit field notes that have been uploaded to the site, but not yet logged.

I really like that the beginning text of the field note is visible in the app without having to open each one.

I do have to reset my brain each time I open Drafts on the app, because it is ordered in reverse of what's on the website's field notes page. App shows most recent at top, while website shows most recent at bottom. Not sure that's such a bad thing, although for consistency it would be nice if both were the same.

Two requests:

(1) Having the time attached to the Draft log be correct. Presently, the time shown on the Field Notes page is 7 hours earlier than actual time. It was 8 hours before this past weekend. I understand this issue is connected to time zones across the entire app, whether a Draft log or a real-time log. Hopefully, this is something that's being worked on.

(2) A way to open the cache from the "Drafts" list. On the website, the cache name is clickable to open the cache page. Would be nice to see an "Open Cache Page" option in the Drafts "..." menu.

Thanks for the constructive feedback. We're currently working on our 5.1 release which will include a few small, non-drafts improvements and should be available next week. After that, our 5.2 release will focus on further improvements to drafts, including addressing both of your requests above. The time zone issues are indeed tricky, but we've got a new approach in the works.

Ben, not sure if you're tracking, but the new app is having trouble synching trackables. I noticed it still listed bugs in my inventory whcih I'd dropped off weeks before. Only by viewing my inventory and clicking each of the errant TBs did it force the app to synch the TBs in question and remove them from my inventory. Per this thread, I am not alone.

While I'm on your radar, I'd also like the option of whether or not to list all of the TBs in my collection as being in my inventory on the app. I moved them to my collection so they wouldn't show up on a day to day basis, but all of the TBs in my collection show as being in my active inventory on the app.

Ben, not sure if you're tracking, but the new app is having trouble synching trackables. I noticed it still listed bugs in my inventory whcih I'd dropped off weeks before. Only by viewing my inventory and clicking each of the errant TBs did it force the app to synch the TBs in question and remove them from my inventory. Per this thread, I am not alone.

While I'm on your radar, I'd also like the option of whether or not to list all of the TBs in my collection as being in my inventory on the app. I moved them to my collection so they wouldn't show up on a day to day basis, but all of the TBs in my collection show as being in my active inventory on the app.

Sounds like you may have multiple issues going on:

1) We made a fix in our 5.0 Android release that limited the TB inventory in the app to inventory only, no collection. Have you downloaded the latest version (now 5.0.2)? Please try that and let us know whether you continue to see trackables in your collection showing in your app inventory.

2) Thanks for the info on the syncing issue. We'll investigate. In the meantime, any additional info you can provide would be helpful for us to trace the problem (more detailed repro steps, your OS and app versions, links to the TB logs in question, etc). Thanks!

Ah. This was on 4.0 of the app, thanks for clarifying. I missed the 5.0 update but will apply that tonight when I get back to wifi.

As for the TB synch issue, using app version 4.0 on a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini running Android 6.0.1. TBs in question were TB3ERM1 (dropped off 4 FEB 17), TB6C6F1 (dropped off 17 FEB 17), TB2VGZC (dropped off 6 MAR 17), TB7F0PA (dropped off 6 MAR 17), and TB6C7AK (dropped off 6 MAR 17). Up until this afternoon, they were all still in my inventory until I opened each TB's description page in the app and they then synched up and disappeared from my inventory.

I don't think I used the app to pick up any of these TBs. The synch issue may have arisen because of subsequent logs. I am relatively sure I used the app to visit these TBs to a cache at least once; however, I did not use the app to drop them off, I used the website.

Edited by hzoi

Ah. This was on 4.0 of the app, thanks for clarifying. I missed the 5.0 update but will apply that tonight when I get back to wifi.

As for the TB synch issue, using app version 4.0 on a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini running Android 6.0.1. TBs in question were TB3ERM1 (dropped off 4 FEB 17), TB6C6F1 (dropped off 17 FEB 17), TB2VGZC (dropped off 6 MAR 17), TB7F0PA (dropped off 6 MAR 17), and TB6C7AK (dropped off 6 MAR 17). Up until this afternoon, they were all still in my inventory until I opened each TB's description page in the app and they then synched up and disappeared from my inventory.

I don't think I used the app to pick up any of these TBs. The synch issue may have arisen because of subsequent logs. I am relatively sure I used the app to visit these TBs to a cache at least once; however, I did not use the app to drop them off, I used the website.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll pass it along for further investigation.

Draft functionality is requiring a save of text before posting. This seems like an unneeded step. Perhaps this could be fixed?

I am using iPhone iOS 10.2.1

Geocaching Version 5

STEPS:

1) Open app

2) Click on a cache on the map

3) Click LOG GEOCACHE on the bottom of the screen in the green bar.

4) Choose an option like "FOUND IT".

5) Write some text in the log field. Remember this text.

6) Ensure that the "switch" in the lower right of screen is turned to DRAFT.

7) Click the SAVE option. A DRAFT SAVED banner appears.

8) Quit app.

9) Still on iPhone, reopen app.

10) Click the MORE option in lower right corner.

11) Click on DRAFTS

12) Click on the name of the cache with a saved draft.

13) Add additional text in the log field.

14) Turn DRAFT switch off.

15) Click POST.

16) Quit app, re-open app and look at the ACTIVITY of that cache to see your log.

EXPECTED RESULTS:

User would expect the text which was POSTED to be displayed in the log. ie: The text from step 13 should be displayed.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

The additional text added in step 13 was not posted. The log only displays the text from the last time the text was SAVED. (ie: the text from step 5 displays).

Draft functionality is requiring a save of text before posting. This seems like an unneeded step. Perhaps this could be fixed?

I am using iPhone iOS 10.2.1

Geocaching Version 5

STEPS:

1) Open app

2) Click on a cache on the map

3) Click LOG GEOCACHE on the bottom of the screen in the green bar.

4) Choose an option like "FOUND IT".

5) Write some text in the log field. Remember this text.

6) Ensure that the "switch" in the lower right of screen is turned to DRAFT.

7) Click the SAVE option. A DRAFT SAVED banner appears.

8) Quit app.

9) Still on iPhone, reopen app.

10) Click the MORE option in lower right corner.

11) Click on DRAFTS

12) Click on the name of the cache with a saved draft.

13) Add additional text in the log field.

14) Turn DRAFT switch off.

15) Click POST.

16) Quit app, re-open app and look at the ACTIVITY of that cache to see your log.

EXPECTED RESULTS:

User would expect the text which was POSTED to be displayed in the log. ie: The text from step 13 should be displayed.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

The additional text added in step 13 was not posted. The log only displays the text from the last time the text was SAVED. (ie: the text from step 5 displays).

Thanks for the detailed report! That level of precision in explaining your problem is very helpful.

Fortunately, this is a bug we're already aware of and we already have a fix completed. We have submitted an update to Apple and are waiting for their approval. We hope it is approved soon so that we can release it next week.

Bugs with Trackables when off line...

1) I created a list from the map

2) I downloaded the offline data whilst connected to wifi

3) Arrived at a cache where on the list it said there was a trackable (and there was).

4) tapped on the cache and opened up the cache page

5) Scrolled down to the trackables section where it said there wasn't any trackables in the cache

6) Come back home and connect to wifi

7) re-open the cache page and now it says there is a trackable

8) tap on the trackable icon and I am able to read all about it

9) turn off wifi

10) re-open the cache page and it still says there is a trackable

11) Tap on the trackable Icon again (wifi off)

12) opens trackable details but app message is presented "Oops something went wrong - try again later"

13) Click read goal - blank page opens

14) Cick description > Read More

15) App freezes then app crashes " Unfortunately, Geocaching has stopped.

3) Arrived at a cache where on the list it said there was a trackable (and there was).

5) Scrolled down to the trackables section where it said there wasn't any trackables in the cache

9) turn off wifi

12) opens trackable details but app message is presented "Oops something went wrong - try again later"

Thanks for reporting the issue. Can you let us know which operating system version and app version you're using?

I can't find any way to download PQ's in the new app. Is that feature no longer supported? If not, is there a way to cnvert a PQ to a list? How about .gpx to list? Gpx to list would be most awesome, as I often start with a PQ route then choose select caches to make a gpx file for download into my GPSr.

Working with the new app on my iPhone 6 the other day, I did something that resulted in red pins all over the map view indicating cache locations. They stayed in place even while navigating to a specific cache. I found that feature really helpful as i'm always trying to stay aware of nearby caches in real time. However, after about an hour the pins disappeared and I haven't been able to replicate that experience. Can you be of any help in recovering this capacity? Thanks.

9) turn off wifi

Hi Ben, I'm using Android and v 5.02 of the app

I can't find any way to download PQ's in the new app. Is that feature no longer supported? If not, is there a way to cnvert a PQ to a list? How about .gpx to list? Gpx to list would be most awesome, as I often start with a PQ route then choose select caches to make a gpx file for download into my GPSr.

Hi there. Yes, you can download generated PQs in the new app during the same 7 day window of time you'd be able to download them to other API partners. You'll find them available for downloading offline in the Lists section of the app. To download one offline, tap the (...) menu to the right of the generated PQ and select Download Offline Data.

Working with the new app on my iPhone 6 the other day, I did something that resulted in red pins all over the map view indicating cache locations. They stayed in place even while navigating to a specific cache. I found that feature really helpful as i'm always trying to stay aware of nearby caches in real time. However, after about an hour the pins disappeared and I haven't been able to replicate that experience. Can you be of any help in recovering this capacity? Thanks.

This is indeed a bug. Can you explain why it's important to you to see all caches when you're navigating to one?

9) turn off wifi

Hi Ben, I'm using Android and v 5.02 of the app

Thanks! I'll pass your detailed info along to our QA team for investigation.

This is indeed a bug. Can you explain why it's important to you to see all caches when you're navigating to one?
For me (using an API partner app, not Groundspeak's app), I like having the other caches displayed partially transparent.

Part of it is awareness of context: I can see what other caches are in the area that I'll be visiting, so I can consider other caches I might want to search for after/instead of this one.

Part of it is a reminder that the app is still trying to navigate to a specific cache, and not showing me all the caches I'm interested in. If I see only one cache on the map, it isn't clear whether there are no other caches of interest in the area depicted, or whether the app is showing me only one cache because that's the cache it's navigating to. With the other caches displayed partially transparent, I know that they're there, but that the app is navigating to another cache.

Can you explain why it's important to you to see all caches when you're navigating to one?

This is a puzzling question. I can't speak for cachenscary, but the most important reason I like to see all the caches is that I sometimes pick the wrong next cache. If my GPSr didn't show all caches, I wouldn't see that I'm walking by another cache.

That's not the only reason. As cachenscary put it, I'm "always trying to stay aware of nearby caches in real time", both found and unfound caches.

For me (using an API partner app, not Groundspeak's app), I like having the other caches displayed partially transparent.

Part of it is awareness of context: I can see what other caches are in the area that I'll be visiting, so I can consider other caches I might want to search for after/instead of this one.

Part of it is a reminder that the app is still trying to navigate to a specific cache, and not showing me all the caches I'm interested in. If I see only one cache on the map, it isn't clear whether there are no other caches of interest in the area depicted, or whether the app is showing me only one cache because that's the cache it's navigating to. With the other caches displayed partially transparent, I know that they're there, but that the app is navigating to another cache.

Can you explain why it's important to you to see all caches when you're navigating to one?

This is a puzzling question. I can't speak for cachenscary, but the most important reason I like to see all the caches is that I sometimes pick the wrong next cache. If my GPSr didn't show all caches, I wouldn't see that I'm walking by another cache.

That's not the only reason. As cachenscary put it, I'm "always trying to stay aware of nearby caches in real time", both found and unfound caches.

Thanks for the responses with additional details.

I'm not sure exactly why the question is puzzling, but one of the worst mistakes I/we could make is not to understand why players want a certain feature. I could assume that you might want it for the same reasons I might want it, but those assumptions quite often prove incorrect. Hence the need to ask for additional detail.

This is especially helpful on a trail that includes a mixture of cache types. I might find traditional caches A and B, then stage 1 of multi-cache C, then traditional caches D and E, then stage 2 of multi-cache C, then puzzle final F, then traditional caches G and H, and so on. It helps when the app shows the final locations for puzzles, and the next stage for multi-caches, etc. all on the same map. And when multi-caches have virtual stages, they can overlap with the traditional caches in the area significantly.

I'm not sure exactly why the question is puzzling, but one of the worst mistakes I/we could make is not to understand why players want a certain feature.

It's puzzling because I can't imagine a reason I wouldn't want to see all the caches in the area even though I happen to be navigating to just one. It's like asking why I want to see all the caches when I bring up the map on the website.

I'm not sure exactly why the question is puzzling, but one of the worst mistakes I/we could make is not to understand why players want a certain feature. I could assume that you might want it for the same reasons I might want it, but those assumptions quite often prove incorrect. Hence the need to ask for additional detail.

Maybe a better question (in this case at least) would be why would a player not want a certain feature? :) Seems less geocaching-y to be hiding caches, and having the navigation feature really doesn't negate the functional context of seeing others nearby.

In the app I use, I actually never use the single-cache nagivate feature because the general map with all caches in my most recent filter still highlights for me the cache I'm targeting/navigating to. I've never liked the "hide everything else" manner of cache navigation (unless driving to the area from a great distance, perhaps - but even then some people like to see all the caches they may be passing by which they may want to stop for :P)

I'm not sure exactly why the question is puzzling, but one of the worst mistakes I/we could make is not to understand why players want a certain feature.
It's puzzling because I can't imagine a reason I wouldn't want to see all the caches in the area even though I happen to be navigating to just one. It's like asking why I want to see all the caches when I bring up the map on the website.
The "feature" that still confuses me is the way the app shows solved puzzles at the bogus posted coordinates on the main map. It can navigate to the solved coordinates, but only once you select a specific cache.

Once I enter solved coordinates for a puzzle, I no longer care about the bogus posted coordinates. On the rare chance that I might need to refer to them, I'm used to my apps having a waypoint for the original coordinates, which I can refer to or navigate to if needed. But I can't remember ever needing that waypoint.

But I digress...

Will the app then display ones own disabled caches on the map?

Yes

Just curious, will this include the ability to search for disabled or archived caches (including ones you don't own)? Currently, if you search by the GC code of a disabled/archived cache, you get the message "Invalid code".

Will the app then display ones own disabled caches on the map?

Yes

Just curious, will this include the ability to search for disabled or archived caches (including ones you don't own)? Currently, if you search by the GC code of a disabled/archived cache, you get the message "Invalid code".

Yes, non-owners will be able to search by GC code for and view disabled caches. Disabled caches will also be viewable if they're already in a list/PQ/etc opened in the app. Like the classic app, disabled caches (other than owned disabled caches) will not show on the main geocache map in the app.