Feature reques : Log edits trigger fresh notification email

Team Microdot

I like to see logs on my caches and receiving email notifications alerts me to new ones.

However, log edits do not trigger an email notification and edits might include stuff that I need to see.

I don't want to have to regularly check back through old logs to see if edits have been made so any chance we could have email notifications for edits and make that an optional thing to suit individual preferences?

• Funny 1
  • Love 1

Most of my logging is done when I get home, so the only editing may be spelling missed, but I'd like to see this too.

The "more later..." logs many place lately rarely are edited later here, but pics are often entered well-after logging.

We usually add in pics when all logs for the day are done too.

Most around here know that (because sometimes we're the only ones to leave pics), but outside our area folks would find that extra notification handy. :)

Most of my logging is done when I get home, so the only editing may be spelling missed, but I'd like to see this too.

I edit a lot although I only log from PCs - often when restructuring to make my parts end up with at most 4000 characters each but also when I forgot something or want to add something etc

I do not prepare the logs in an editor but work right on gc.com.

The "more later..." logs many place lately rarely are edited later here, but pics are often entered well-after logging.

Actually, there are quite a number of cachers here who first log found more later at all caches they find but later replace them by real logs, some of them being quite long.

Those adding photos add them often with a further delay.

I would need to check my caches pages each day for changes if I want to catch spoilers.

We usually add in pics when all logs for the day are done too.

I add photos typically weeks or months sometimes a year later and not all photos at the same time.

Edited by cezanne
While I see the advantage in certain scenarios, I cringe at the thought of a CO getting 5 e-mail notifications when I have an off day and spend the next five minutes editing the log as I spot misspellings and poorly expressed thoughts.
I think this sort of thing could be handled by batching edit notifications. Edit notifications don't need to be sent immediately. For that matter, the initial log notification doesn't need to be sent immediately.

To borrow a page from build automation, the email notifications for logs/updates could have a quiet period of 10 minutes. This would mean that your initial log/update would flag that an email notification is needed, but wouldn't send the email notification. Ten minutes later, if no more updates had been made to the log, the email notification would be sent. But if updates had been made within the quiet period, then the next check would be scheduled for 10 minutes after the last update.

In theory, the email notification could be postponed indefinitely by making endless updates within the quiet period. In practice, the email notification usually won't be delayed very much, and when there is a series of edits as described, only the final result will appear in the email notification.

• Upvote 1

While I see the advantage in certain scenarios, I cringe at the thought of a CO getting 5 e-mail notifications when I have an off day and spend the next five minutes editing the log as I spot misspellings and poorly expressed thoughts.

This is why the feature would insert unique user_id/cache_id pairs into an email notification table along with a timestamp. An ongoing process would monitor this table, say every minute, sending out emails for rows that are older than 30 mins. This would allow you to only generate, at most, one email per cache, every 30 minutes.

Something similar to what niraD posted, but I hadn't read until after posting. The photo upload could insert into the same process.

Edited by fbingha
  • Upvote 1

I think this sort of thing could be handled by batching edit notifications. Edit notifications don't need to be sent immediately. For that matter, the initial log notification doesn't need to be sent immediately.

This would be a great feature, but since it would already be really useful even without this new feature, I assume it would be implemented already if it were that easy.

In particular, I'd want that feature first since it would solve most of the reasons I'd like this edited log notification feature. The actual feature to send notifications for log edits would be way less interesting in my mind if there was this kind of delay to catch immediate edits of the original log. Of course, I recognize that the 10 minute delay wouldn't solve the "more later" problem this thread proposes it to solve, but that problem doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the log notification always delivers only the first draft.

(In case you're not following me: I cringe at the thought of the CO getting all my edits, but I appreciate that at least it means he'd get my final version.)

I like to see logs on my caches and receiving email notifications alerts me to new ones.

However, log edits do not trigger an email notification and edits might include stuff that I need to see.

I don't want to have to regularly check back through old logs to see if edits have been made so any chance we could have email notifications for edits and make that an optional thing to suit individual preferences?

Yes and also yes to photo updates. Delayed send out of the email preferred.

But as so often frinklabs collections of older threads is discouraging.

+1 - I just noticed a 'found it' has been edited to a DNF. The finder logged quick 'found it, full log later' logs on our caches recently, and then obviously realised one was a DNF, so edited it. Finder has 15k finds, and it wasn't a hard hide, needs a check....

I know - but in this instance, the cacher entered about 15 'found, log later' logs on our caches, so when they went back and edited, I then got a large email from Project-GC with the edits, which were all copy/paste anyway (across all COs that weekend.... dry.gif ), so wasn't really worth reading, the edit was buried down low..... if edits triggered a new notification, a DNF email would land in my inbox....

What is the status of this feature request? Was it implemented?

I am asking, since with my new garmin gps I'd like to immediately send a quick "tftc" after finding a cache and later edit the logs and add the full details.

• Funny 3
  • Surprised 1
12 hours ago, Ragorn said:

I am asking, since with my new garmin gps I'd like to immediately send a quick "tftc" after finding a cache and later edit the logs and add the full details.

I wonder how we could discourage the habit of sending a quick "TFTC" and later editing the log to add the full details. How could we encourage finders to wait until they can post a real log with the full details?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

-1, sorry. 

It would discourage minor editing that simply fixes punctuation, or tells the story in a slightly better way. 

I don't want to get crank emails about simply italicizing a word, for example. 

I liked @niraD’s batching solution above.  Assuming you didn’t take too long over your edits, there’d be an email for the final version but none of the drafts.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:30 AM, Ragorn said:

At one time I thought this was a good idea, since we only log when home anyway, and I thought it wouldn't affect us.

- But this dyslexic old fart shouldn't have another notification go to a CO just because of spelling error.

Sometimes something dawned on me much later (a recent find had roads closed all around it), and that would require yet-another notification.

I can see how multiple notifications will get old quick.    :)

Most we know add photos later.  Even the ones who swear they're gonna "later edit the log with full details".

I've been home a lot lately so notice ... not a single person that wrote a log like that has added anything in their logs other than photos.