Logging a find as a favorite

I know this sounds stupid, but... :huh:

Is the Heart icon on the log geocache found it screen supposed to add that geocache to my favorites? I have activated the heart icon thinking it would designate that GC as a favorite, but that is not what happens. Am I incorrect in my assumption about the function of the heart icon? Or am i somehow miss using it? I did complete the log and the GC shows as found, but does not show as a favorite.

By the way, I have 16 Favorite Points remaining according to my profile.

What am I missing?

Thanks

SE7

I know this sounds stupid, but... :huh:

Is the Heart icon on the log geocache found it screen supposed to add that geocache to my favorites? I have activated the heart icon thinking it would designate that GC as a favorite, but that is not what happens. Am I incorrect in my assumption about the function of the heart icon? Or am i somehow miss using it? I did complete the log and the GC shows as found, but does not show as a favorite.

Yes, the "heart" icon denotes a favorite.

Help Center → Apps → Geocaching® app

1.1. Geocaching® app: Premium vs. Basic membership features chart

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=764

Clearly says that Premium Members can:

Logging

Add photos

Add favorite points

How you do that, I don't know.

By the way, I have 16 Favorite Points remaining according to my profile.

What am I missing?

Help Center → Premium membership → Benefits

1.9. Favorite points

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

Only Premium Members earn Favorite Points. They get one point just for being a Premium Member, then further points by logging geocaching finds, at the rate of 1 Favorite Point per 10 finds.

minus the 3 favorite points you've already awarded. (I think you should have 17 points remaining.)

Barbara

Thanks for the response. I'm still confused about how/whether or not one can designate a favorite in the Android Geocaching app. When I go to Log Geocache, then Found it, the resulting screen has a heart and camera icon on it, plus the text area. When I touch the heart icon it changes from blank to green. If I then complete the log by entering text and touching the check mark to save and complete the log all seems well. However, the cache is not marked as one of my favorites.

So, what purpose does the heart icon serve? Is it supposed to log this cache as a favorite? It doesn't for me. All this is on a Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android v 6.0.1 and version 4.10 of Geocaching (not classic). I checked the Google Play Store for an update for the Geocaching app, not yet available. I am a long time premium member and have plenty of favorite points.

So, Can I designate a favorite on the Geocaching app? If so, how.

Thanks for any help on this.

SE7

The heart is indeed the indicator for Favorites.

The steps you noted should've added the cache to your favorites. Did your Found It log get posted, so the cache shows as a Find in your profile? Sounds like this could be a bug where the heart icon action isn't being read when the Found It log is posted.

It doesn't look like there's any other way to mark a cache as a Favorite. Opening an already-found cache doesn't provide any option to mark it as a favorite, or I just can't figure it out, so it seems like the Found It log is the only way to mark a favorite (via the app). If that doesn't work, then the other option is to open the cache via a web browser and award the fave point there.

The heart is indeed the indicator for Favorites.

The steps you noted should've added the cache to your favorites. Did your Found It log get posted, so the cache shows as a Find in your profile? Sounds like this could be a bug where the heart icon action isn't being read when the Found It log is posted.

It doesn't look like there's any other way to mark a cache as a Favorite. Opening an already-found cache doesn't provide any option to mark it as a favorite, or I just can't figure it out, so it seems like the Found It log is the only way to mark a favorite (via the app). If that doesn't work, then the other option is to open the cache via a web browser and award the fave point there.

Thanks for the response. I'm feeling better than I'm not crazy. Well, maybe crazy, but not about this heart/favorite thing. I'm going to go over and try to report this as a bug in the Android app.

Thanks again

SE7

My phone just updated the app. I now see a heart next to the camera for favorites. There is also the drafts option available now. 15 more days to get the rest of the options fixed and installed.

Thanks for the response. My app also shows the heart icon, it just doesn't work/do anything. I'm communicating with GC HQ Support trying to find a solutions to this non-working feature.

I'll post something when/if issue is resolved.

Thanks again.

SE7

My app also shows the heart icon, it just doesn't work/do anything.

Hi there. Thanks for reporting your problem. I'd love to track down the issue if there is one. Can you give me a list of the steps you're going through to reproduce the problem and describe what happens when you go through those steps? Any screen grabs and/or info about your app version and OS version would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

Hi there. Thanks for reporting your problem. I'd love to track down the issue if there is one. Can you give me a list of the steps you're going through to reproduce the problem and describe what happens when you go through those steps? Any screen grabs and/or info about your app version and OS version would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 6.01 Geocaching 4.10 (not classic) I am a current premium member with 16 favorite points available

Find cache. Go to "log Geocache" Choose "Found it" Type Text for log Touch Heart Icon, it turns green Save log by touching check mark

The app saves the log, marks GC as found, but does not designate the GC as one of my favorites nor does my favorite point totals change. Verified log save and favorite failure on GCing .com upon return to home base computer. I have tried three different times to mark a GC as a favorite at time of find. Same non-result chronicled above. I did go back and favorite one of the failures from the Geocaching web page. However, I have left the last failure as is to prove the point. Last failure = GC12Y8N East of the pass.

So far, GC support has been no help. They asked me to reinstall app which I did. I reported back to them that it didn't work, no response from GC support.

If you need anything else, let me know. Thanks. SE&

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 6.01 Geocaching 4.10 (not classic) I am a current premium member with 16 favorite points available

Find cache. Go to "log Geocache" Choose "Found it" Type Text for log Touch Heart Icon, it turns green Save log by touching check mark

The app saves the log, marks GC as found, but does not designate the GC as one of my favorites nor does my favorite point totals change. Verified log save and favorite failure on GCing .com upon return to home base computer. I have tried three different times to mark a GC as a favorite at time of find. Same non-result chronicled above. I did go back and favorite one of the failures from the Geocaching web page. However, I have left the last failure as is to prove the point. Last failure = GC12Y8N East of the pass.

So far, GC support has been no help. They asked me to reinstall app which I did. I reported back to them that it didn't work, no response from GC support.

Hello again! I just gathered a little more info and learned that we fixed a bug very similar to yours in our latest release (5.0.1). That release is currently trickling out to Android users; you may see it available to you later on today. Once you have the update, can you try again and report back whether your issue is resolved in the new version? Thanks!

Edited by Ben H

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer.

Hello again! I just gathered a little more info and learned that we fixed a bug very similar to yours in our latest release (5.0.1). That release is currently trickling out to Android users; you may see it available to you later on today. Once you have the update, can you try again and report back whether your issue is resolved in the new version? Thanks!

Ben

Thanks for the reply. I also heard from CG HQ support with same message. Will wait for V5 and post results.

Thanks again.

SE7

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer.

Ben

Thanks for the reply. I also heard from CG HQ support with same message. Will wait for V5 and post results.

Thanks again.

SE7

GC HQ suggested waiting for latest release of GC app. That did fix the bug of the favorite not working on my phone when logging a GC.

Thanks to all and GC HQ for the help.

SE&

my friend and I was out caching today and wanted to use the favorite button too and we can't find it? we both have iphone 7's and we both

have updated our phones completely? how can we favorite someone elses cache? please help thank you

Sorry, my post was about the Android app. Not sure about the Iphone app. On android, the favorite button is a heart icon. You might want to re-post over in the Iphone discussion section.

SE7