Geocaching new Weekly Newsletter

Isonzo Karst

I just received the new format Newsletter.

When I click on Geocaches Near You, I'm taken to a search with a default of Washington state. I live in Florida.

When I click on Events Near You, I'm looking at 4,049 results. If I ask to filter the Events by date, looking for what's upcoming in my area, the first event is 853 miles away, and the next 4 are 4100 - 5000 miles plus.

The GeoTours link just dumps me on the base GeoTour page.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

For the events link, I was expecting to see only events within 200 miles of my home coordinates (or, better yet, within a distance that's configurable on my account preferences page). A list of every event is a step backwards from the old newsletter.

For the "geocaches near you" link, I was expecting to see a search centered on my home coordinates, limited to X miles, and with a date hidden that's within the past week. A list of all caches would be a step backwards from the old newsletter.

I remember in 2002 how I looked forward to the weekly newsletter to let me know of new cache publications in the area. That was an era before instant notifications, before FTF races and before social media. #OldSchool

I guess I haven't gotten the new newsletter yet.

They're just links now?

Don't like it.

I don't want to be redirected to the website - I want to see what events and links are published with the newsletter so I can go back through them looking for stuff! If the only point is to be a weekly reminder to go to the website to search, then it isn't a newsletter, it's just a commercial for going to the website. I don't need that.

If I check my email on my phone, I want the message I'm getting THERE!

And, to open an old wound, what the heck are we supposed to do with a weekly list of events that only covers the next few days? At one time, the events list was way off into the future so I could PLAN to go if I wanted to. Now, I get a list of events that are three days and 100 miles away. Useless.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

the old ... read "useful" ... events list gave me a selection of events near me and in the near future ... not 4185 events between 8.8 and 11168 miles away and scheduled between 3/7/17 and 11/18/17

the old ... read "useful" ... list gave me new placements near me ... not 31,564 caches placed between 3/5/17 and 6/21/00 and centered, it would appear, on GCHQ

I also noticed but didn't click on a link for Mega Events as they are included in the selection of events near me referenced above ... WUWT?

Please go back to the old newsletter ... it worked just fine

Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

The issue with "geocaches near you" has been corrected -- if you have your home coordinates set, you should get a list of caches that are, in fact, "near you." Most people will get the corrected version this week, but if you don't, it'll be correct in the next newsletter. We have also narrowed the parameters for the "events near you," so that you'll get a shorter, more relevant set of events.

This is the first time out with the new newsletter tool, so there are bound to be a couple of snafus. Thanks for bearing with us while we work through them.

- Draugen

Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

The issue with "geocaches near you" has been corrected -- if you have your home coordinates set, you should get a list of caches that are, in fact, "near you." Most people will get the corrected version this week, but if you don't, it'll be correct in the next newsletter. We have also narrowed the parameters for the "events near you," so that you'll get a shorter, more relevant set of events.

This is the first time out with the new newsletter tool, so there are bound to be a couple of snafus. Thanks for bearing with us while we work through them.

- Draugen

First, thanks for your quick response to some issues that popped up with the new newsletter. It's nice to see.

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't yet received the new version, but there are a few things I'd like to point out based on what I've read here so far.

The definition of "near you" will vary wildly from member to member. Some members may be willing/able to travel long distances to get to rarely-held events in their region, whereas others in an event-dense area may only care about events within a dozen miles of their home. Proximity to borders can also come into play, in which case "near you" may mean only within a particular region, not just those within a certain distance. Setting a one-size-fits-all distance is what was used for the previous incarnation of the newsletter, but the number of complaints related to that version seems to indicate that it wasn't meeting the needs of many. Personally, the distance was far too high and showed events in a different country that were irrelevant to me, so I rarely looked at the list of events.

If the newsletter is no longer going to contain an actual list of events and will instead rely on members going to the search page, ideally the member should be able to customize the default search filters that will be applied when they follow this link, including distance and region. Otherwise, you'll still have a one-size-fits-all setting that won't fit many.

Also, wasn't it just last week that we were asked to provide feedback about what we'd like to see in the newsletter? Surely it takes more than a week to receive the responses, parse and analyze them, come up with a proposed design, bounce the proposal off an external focus group, implement it, and then test it? The optics of asking for feedback and then almost immediately rolling out a new version aren't good. It gives the feeling that the decisions had already been made and the survey was just a token gesture. I don't know what's been happening behind the scenes and there may be a very logical explanation, so please don't take this as an accusation, but rather as an explanation of how it may look to those on the outside. For all I know it could just be a matter of unfortunate timing or miscommunication.

Again, I haven't seen the new version for myself yet, so read the above with a grain of salt. I look forward to seeing the new version so I can provide more specific feedback.

Thanks, A-Team --

A couple of quick points:

1) The newsletter survey that went out last week was actually the second one we sent in recent months. We conducted another one several months ago, and incorporated the input from that one into the changes to the newsletter;

2) One of the benefits of the new newsletter tool is that it will allow us to do a much better job of tailoring the newsletter based on how people what cachers want to see. We'll be able to use the more recent survey data and the data from the new newsletter tool to make ongoing improvements.

BTW, if you haven't gotten yours yet this week, don't worry -- we did delay the sending while we fixed the location issue, but newsletters are again going out. Stay tuned.

Thanks, everyone!

- Draugen

Thanks, A-Team --

A couple of quick points:

1) The newsletter survey that went out last week was actually the second one we sent in recent months. We conducted another one several months ago, and incorporated the input from that one into the changes to the newsletter;

2) One of the benefits of the new newsletter tool is that it will allow us to do a much better job of tailoring the newsletter based on how people what cachers want to see. We'll be able to use the more recent survey data and the data from the new newsletter tool to make ongoing improvements.

BTW, if you haven't gotten yours yet this week, don't worry -- we did delay the sending while we fixed the location issue, but newsletters are again going out. Stay tuned.

Thanks, everyone!

- Draugen

Thanks for the response and the explanation about the surveys. I must have completely missed the initial survey.

It's good to hear that further tailoring will be easier. I expect you'll get some very valuable feedback about the new version in addition to the survey responses which will hopefully lead to a better version.

I received my copy yesterday and have a few more comments about it.

• When I click either the "Events near you" or "Geocaches near you" links, the filter dialog on the resulting search page has a few seemingly-broken fields (D/T, Not Found By, Hidden By). I'm seeing this on IE11, Firefox 52, and Chrome 56.
    broken_filter.png
  • When I click the "Find a Mega Event" link, it takes me to a map showing the Mega events. I'd prefer to see these in a list like they used to be in the newsletter, but the specific Mega Event type isn't available for selection in the search filters (nor is CITO), so this can't be done. Since the search tool seems to recognize the Mega Event type but just doesn't present it as an option, can we get that added and then make the "Find a Mega Event" link act like the "Events near you" link? That is, it would present search results in a list by default with the option of mapping the results.
  • The layout seems wasteful of space on some devices. For example, there's a lot of empty space at the top around the language links when I view it on both my phone and desktop. Also, the images associated with the two "articles" (for lack of a better word) seem unnecessarily large when viewed on a desktop.

As far as the actual content of the newsletters, I'll reserve judgement until we see a few more. I like the "articles" that were featured in this week's, so I'm interested in seeing what will be in future ones.

I recently received my first newsletter in the new format. I must say that I'd rather have a summary of what's going on locally (e.g., lists of upcoming events and of recently published caches) rather than links to what's going on locally.

If I wanted links, then I could create them myself. The advantage of the newsletter was that several types of information related to geocaching were brought together in one email message.

I recently received my first newsletter in the new format. I must say that I'd rather have a summary of what's going on locally (e.g., lists of upcoming events and of recently published caches) rather than links to what's going on locally.

If I wanted links, then I could create them myself. The advantage of the newsletter was that several types of information related to geocaching were brought together in one email message.

That was another point I forgot to mention in my previous post.

If I wanted to do a search for events near me, I'd just go to the website and do that search. Like niraD said, the advantage of the previous version of the newsletter was having that list provided to you without any further action required. I expect attendance may drop a bit for some upcoming events due to the loss of this notification method.

I expect attendance may drop a bit for some upcoming events due to the loss of this notification method.
Our local geocaching organization has a volunteer who maintains a Google Calendar of local events, so I think I'll start using that as my primary way to discover upcoming events. But not everyone has a resource like that available to them.

Received my first "new format" newsletter early this morning, around 1am PST. My immediate thought was "Where's the content?"

There were two 'stories' in the newsletter.

-- Donerstag 'story': I'd have to click-through to find out how to get the Donerstag souvenir. It's also confusing because the 'story' in the email says "earn a few souvenirs along the way" (multiple souvenirs?), but there's only 1 souvenir. Or maybe you meant the country souvenirs that someone MIGHT get if they go to an event in a country they haven't cached in before?

-- CITO 'story': I'd have to click-through to (1) find out there IS a souvenir and (2) how to get it.

One of the things I appreciated in the "old format" newsletter was that the souvenir requirements were stated in the email and did not require clickthroughs. I could keep those emails in my Inbox and go back to them at any time to get a quick reminder of the souvenir requirements - no need to clickthrough and open Blog webpages, no need to have data connection.

Forgot to mention, I also see the same 'garbled' filter boxes as noted in image The A-Team included in Post #11.

Regarding the links themselves. I'd much rather prefer to see a list of events/megas within the email, rather than having to get that info by running a query on the Search page. I'd even prefer if such listings are limited to the upcoming 10 or 15, rather than the extended list that was included in the "old format" newsletter.

I'm having a difficult time seeing the value of much of the email newsletter, when it's essentially links to searches that I could just bookmark and view at any time. I'd prefer the email to include info/caches/events within the email body.

The old newsletter had a list of recently published caches near me. Last week, that was a list of 20 caches to look through. That was quick to look through and useful.

The new newsletter has a link to a search of ALL caches near me. This week, that's 3,366 caches. It doesn't even filter out the ones I've already found. That's neither quick, nor useful. So I've turned off the newsletter. It's of no use to me anymore.

I agree. It was nice just scrolling the email to see new caches and events. Just seems counterproductive to add more clicks to the process. For me, this is yet another step in the wrong direction.

the old ... read "useful" ... events list gave me a selection of events near me and in the near future ... not 4185 events between 8.8 and 11168 miles away and scheduled between 3/7/17 and 11/18/17

the old ... read "useful" ... list gave me new placements near me ... not 31,564 caches placed between 3/5/17 and 6/21/00 and centered, it would appear, on GCHQ

I also noticed but didn't click on a link for Mega Events as they are included in the selection of events near me referenced above ... WUWT?

+1

New format newsletter seems fairly useless.

+1

New format newsletter seems fairly useless.

Definitely. The one thing I disliked about the old newslwtter was that events were listed by date rather than distance. P'm not interested in the event 25 miles away in Massachusetts. I prefer them listed by distance. The new newsletter is worthless.

Finally received my newsletter, and it is absolutely useless.

I always liked the list of recent geocaches, this is now gone. After several clicks I get to the 1000's of geocaches near me. Not useful at all.

I also liked the list of nearby upcoming events (although I still had an issue with the algorithm). On that one, after several clicks I got a list of events for the city where my IP goes through, which is not the same as the city I am in. Since I do have home coordinates that work for the geocaches, you would think it would use the same ones, but no.

Please go back to having content in the newsletter, not just links to the search results, which are not even correct.

I did not get the new newsletter, and I didn't get the second survey either.

Something wrong with my account, or are you still delaying the sending?

I just got the 2nd weekly newsletter with the new format.

Hello Geocaching Community,

Sorry if we missed you last week. We are testing out our new newsletter platform and working through a few technical challenges. Please take a moment to take this survey and share your feedback, as your responses will help us to create a newsletter that is candid, authentic, and beneficial to you! Take the survey.

Please note that they survey doesn't include the option to provide only links!

I agree with everyone else. I don't like this new format. Even though the old format didn't sem to pay attention to my "home coordinates", at least I didn't have to click links to get to what I want to know about...recently published caches & upcoming events.

I don't want a link to caches or events near me. I can do that on my own.

I wish GS would go back to the old format.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I did not get the new newsletter, and I didn't get the second survey either.

Something wrong with my account, or are you still delaying the sending?

I just got the 2nd weekly newsletter with the new format.

I just got the first.

And I'm sorry to say that I also liked the old format a lot better.

The information takes too much space in the new one. It might look better at first, but it takes a lot more scrolling and reading to get the same information as I could get just by taking a quick look at the old one.

But I guess making it responsive, so that I can see to, or three, columns on my huge desktop monitor, will fix what annoys me about it. I hope you'll at least consider that, Groundspeak :)

a list of events for the city where my IP goes through, which is not the same as the city I am in.

Good catch. The current Events near you newsletter link is events within 100 miles of ipcoords, which in my case are about 45 miles from home.

So I'm seeing events to my northeast. Altering that requires using the Change filters link.

I see that Geocaches near you has lost the "NEW" element. This does use home coords as entered on the site but seems pointless in it's current iteration - even just adding "not found, not owned" would be something...

I see the same 'garbled' filter boxes as noted in image The A-Team included in Post #11.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
I see that Geocaches near you has lost the "NEW" element. This does use home coords as entered on the site but seems pointless in it's current iteration - even just adding "not found, not owned" would be something...
Yep. Sigh...

I really don't see myself using the links in the new emails.

I finally received a copy of the revamped "newsletter." It has gone from being a handy tool to being a Groundspeak marketing vehicle. Once again GS seems to be out of touch with their user base.

Simple solution: I canceled my "newsletter" subscription.

Edited by GeoTrekker26

For the events link, I was expecting to see only events within 200 miles of my home coordinates (or, better yet, within a distance that's configurable on my account preferences page). A list of every event is a step backwards from the old newsletter.

For the "geocaches near you" link, I was expecting to see a search centered on my home coordinates, limited to X miles, and with a date hidden that's within the past week. A list of all caches would be a step backwards from the old newsletter.

I remember in 2002 how I looked forward to the weekly newsletter to let me know of new cache publications in the area. That was an era before instant notifications, before FTF races and before social media. #OldSchool

Events picked my IP adress. About twenty miles east.

Caches shows all caches. Click on a window to get newest caches. Bu that's not centeredon home or IP address. It used to show newest caches from my home coordinates. Now I cannot find that anywhere.

Very discouraged. Take something that works,and make it useless. Or add four or five extrasteps to get what we used to get. And even that doesn't work.

Having just said I haven't got it, it just arrived.

It puts some random spot in Sydney as my location, even though I have my home coordinates set in my profile. Sydney is a bit over 200 Km and a 3:30 drive away, so there's nothing in the "near me" stuff which is of the slightest relevance. The actual location is in a residential street in a suburb, so I doubt that it is even the address corresponding to my ISP.

As others have said, a newsletter which is just a bunch of links is a pain.

The survey is a bit useless. It would have been nice to have a "What is good about the new format" and "What is bad about the new format" questions, to gather opinions from people who don't come to the forums.

Basically yet another change for changes sake and a good excuse for ignoring all the things that users have requested.

By the way, the links in my copy of the newsletter go to the site lnk.ie instead of directly to geocaching.com. Is that something odd that happened to my copy, or is the newsletter actually constructed to send us off to a non-geocaching website? Yet another advantage of the original is that I didn't have to worry about whether I was being phished.

I wouldn't have noticed this except here at work, I couldn't open the link because lnk.ie is considered dangerous by something in my office's network protection software.

By the way, the links in my copy of the newsletter go to the site lnk.ie instead of directly to geocaching.com. Is that something odd that happened to my copy, or is the newsletter actually constructed to send us off to a non-geocaching website? Yet another advantage of the original is that I didn't have to worry about whether I was being phished.

I wouldn't have noticed this except here at work, I couldn't open the link because lnk.ie is considered dangerous by something in my office's network protection software.

It's not something odd that happened to your copy - mine goes through lnk.ie as well. I see one of the parameters it passes to lnk.ie is my email address, so I guess I can expect to see heaps of spam shortly.

I've received new newsletter a couple of times and prefer the old style. To add to the misery the newest newsletter won't let me into the survey to say that I liked the old one. All the links on the new newsletter come up with this

The site ahead contains malware

Attackers currently on Ink.ie might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or dlete information (for example photos, password, messages and credit cards).

Needless to say I've not ventured further to see the newsletter.

I've received new newsletter a couple of times and prefer the old style. To add to the misery the newest newsletter won't let me into the survey to say that I liked the old one. All the links on the new newsletter come up with this

Attackers currently on Ink.ie might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or dlete information (for example photos, password, messages and credit cards).

That is a very alarming screen to see!

I had a look around to find out what it was about and read this

"Reported Attack Page! ...

What has most likely happened?

In most circumstances this error is caused by an FTP login details being discovered by a hacker and them uploading malicious code. The issue can also arise by script injections. Google then indexes the site and then blocks people from seeing the site."

Now thats the kind of information which ought to be included in a newsletter.

Oh, and like everyone else who has contributed above I find the new newsletter entirely pointless.

I neither want, need, or will use a set of links which I could have navigated to myself if I wanted to, because I am not a total idiot.

And because I'm not a total idiot, I know this 'newsletter' is a marketing tool, so you will try to sell me TBs or some such, but I'll soon unsubscribe if there is no actual interesting content to tempt me to bother cluttering my inbox with it, opening it and reading it.

I want a simple, short, text based message, with a listing of nearby events (in case I missed the notifications)and new caches (ditto).

I want information about planned website downtime (it's not there, and as far as I know, it never has been)

I want mention of changes to functionality (like the silent removal/replacement of exif for uploaded photos)which may seem a trivial change to whoever did it, but made some puzzles impossible to solve.)

I want all new changes to the guidelines on cache setting mentioned (you only find out when your listing is refused by the poor old reviewer in the middle between you and the frog)

I want clear, in the text (not hidden at the end) links for any survey of opinion, and with follow up information after the poll finishes, giving the actual results, no glossing over of verdicts TPTB don't like.

In short, I want news. Actual, recent information. By a human who knows and cares about caching.

And if the newsleter doesn't provide that after a few more issues, I'll be opting out.

Oh, and like everyone else who has contributed above I find the new newsletter entirely pointless.

I neither want, need, or will use a set of links which I could have navigated to myself if I wanted to, because I am not a total idiot.

And because I'm not a total idiot, I know this 'newsletter' is a marketing tool, so you will try to sell me TBs or some such, but I'll soon unsubscribe if there is no actual interesting content to tempt me to bother cluttering my inbox with it, opening it and reading it.

I want a simple, short, text based message, with a listing of nearby events (in case I missed the notifications)and new caches (ditto).

I want information about planned website downtime (it's not there, and as far as I know, it never has been)

I want mention of changes to functionality (like the silent removal/replacement of exif for uploaded photos)which may seem a trivial change to whoever did it, but made some puzzles impossible to solve.)

I want all new changes to the guidelines on cache setting mentioned (you only find out when your listing is refused by the poor old reviewer in the middle between you and the frog)

I want clear, in the text (not hidden at the end) links for any survey of opinion, and with follow up information after the poll finishes, giving the actual results, no glossing over of verdicts TPTB don't like.

In short, I want news. Actual, recent information. By a human who knows and cares about caching.

And if the newsleter doesn't provide that after a few more issues, I'll be opting out.

My sentiments exactly.

It looks like the company behind lnk.ie is Infacta Ltd in Ireland, a bulk emailing business. They may well be legit, I guess HQ thinks they are anyway, but it still concerns me that every link in the newsletter gives them my email address as one of the parameters. What guarantee does HQ give that this information won't be misused by Infacta (intentionally or accidently) or given to third parties with no interest in geocaching?

Received another newsletter.

•  
  • 2 Stories have a little info, links to more.

• The "Events near you" link is now useful. It's centered on home coords, with a 100 mile distance limit sorted on placed date. For me, that's 30 events. The previous newsletter list was 10 events, centered on home coords, with a 200 mile distance limit, sorted on placed date. On busy event days, this list might never show events near me (including my own) - too many within 200 miles with closer placed dates than those nearer me.

• From that search if you click "add filters", the filter page appears normally, no longer showing the issues A-Team illustrated in post 11.

• The newsletter links go (sloooooooooooowly) through lnk.ie. I assume the "attack site" issue was quickly addressed by the parent company. A hiccup, unfortunate in its timing.

• The "Recent geocaches near you" link has been modified. Now it's caches within 30 miles home coords sorted on placed date, not excluding caches owned or found. The old newsletter was sending basically send the output of a PQ, caches within some distance of home coords (I think it was 50 - 60 miles?, but I don't have an old one to check), placed in the last week (2 weeks?) It didn't exclude placed/found either.

• Links to Mega, GeoTours, and Shop Geocaching are static. They're not news, and not useful.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

The newsletter links go (sloooooooooooowly) through lnk.ie. I assume the "attack site" issue was quickly addressed by the parent company.

I'm not sure what you mean by "addressed", but getting the attack site warning was mainly of interest to me because of what it revealed. I've already decided to trust geocaching.com, but I have no interest at all in trusting a third party site that has no valid purpose that I can imagine. So I'm not going to click on any of those links to see if they've been improved. The only reason I'm still subscribed is because I assume GS will soon realize they've made a mistake.

It looks like the company behind lnk.ie is Infacta Ltd in Ireland, a bulk emailing business. They may well be legit, I guess HQ thinks they are anyway, but it still concerns me that every link in the newsletter gives them my email address as one of the parameters. What guarantee does HQ give that this information won't be misused by Infacta (intentionally or accidently) or given to third parties with no interest in geocaching?

Yes, I would like to read a sound reasoning from Groundspeak why it is necessary to transmit my email address to a third party.

Yes, I would like to read a sound reasoning from Groundspeak why it is necessary to transmit my email address to a third party.

While the e-mail address is concerning, I don't think me clicking on the link is transmitting it to the mystery site. My guess is that the mystery site gets the e-mail address to begin with, and when we click on the link, the address is used to track which of us uses which links.