Add to List silently adds a cache to a bookmark

kanchan

I really liked the old "Add to List" much better, but I'm trying to get used to the new one. However, when I click "Add to List" and then one of the existing bookmark lists, nothing is shown and the popup silently disappears. The cache is actually added to the bookmark, but just so silently. It used to show a message like "Done" or "Added" (I can't recall the exact text). Nobody requested this as far as I know, but if this is what is done in the App, App is the one that should change, not the web site. It should display some messages like "Done" or "Added" or whatever.

I think I'm also noticing what kanchan mentioned about the "silently" aspect. I just tested it on the website and it does seem like something is missing. Didn't an orange text "Added" or "Done" appear inside the popup after a list was selected? I seem recall that used to happen, but now the popup window just closes without any confirmation that the list selection was recognized.

If you like the "old way," right-click on the Add to List menu item and it will open up the familiar dialogue that ends with a confirmation.

I knew that the old page is still there (from another thread in the forum I created some time back), but I'm trying to adjust myself to use the new one going forward. If you say that I should use the old page, I will, but please create a user option which makes the simple click bring up the old page. (But I'm really trying hard to adjust myself to use the new one, so I still wonder why Groudspeak stopped showing a message like "Done" or "Added" they had when they'd changed the default behavior to use the popup.)

Edited by kanchan

I think I'm also noticing what kanchan mentioned about the "silently" aspect. I just tested it on the website and it does seem like something is missing. Didn't an orange text "Added" or "Done" appear inside the popup after a list was selected? I seem recall that used to happen, but now the popup window just closes without any confirmation that the list selection was recognized.

Yes until recently it said "Saved" when you added to the list. Today it seems to just silently close the window with no visual indication its worked.

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I don't like the new "add to list" because I always make notes when I add caches to a list. Now I have to "add to list", refresh the cache page, click on the bookmark list on the right, then CTRL-F for the cache name and then go make my notes. Anyway we can give an option to "add to list" with notes like we used to?

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I don't like the new "add to list" because I always make notes when I add caches to a list. Now I have to "add to list", refresh the cache page, click on the bookmark list on the right, then CTRL-F for the cache name and then go make my notes. Anyway we can give an option to "add to list" with notes like we used to?

I think this was mentioned upthread, but the easier way to do this is right-click (or control-click) to open the "add to list" form in another tab, and then the page that you open that way is the old form where you can add the explanation before submitted the bookmark. Not as easy as it used to be because you have to open the second tab with a special click, and then you have to close two tabs when you're done, but considerably easier than going to the list and tracking down the vacuous entry you just added so you can edit it.

This "slick" new way doesn't help me at all for exactly the reason you say: I always want to add a description, so the "quick add" is never useful. Originally I thought I might find the ease of adding outweighed the need for a description, but it turns out that's never the case: there's always additional information I want attached to the list entry.

I think this was mentioned upthread, but the easier way to do this is right-click (or control-click) to open the "add to list" form in another tab, and then the page that you open that way is the old form where you can add the explanation before submitted the bookmark. Not as easy as it used to be because you have to open the second tab with a special click, and then you have to close two tabs when you're done, but considerably easier than going to the list and tracking down the vacuous entry you just added so you can edit it.

This "slick" new way doesn't help me at all for exactly the reason you say: I always want to add a description, so the "quick add" is never useful. Originally I thought I might find the ease of adding outweighed the need for a description, but it turns out that's never the case: there's always additional information I want attached to the list entry.

SWEET! Thanks for the pro tip!!! That satisfies me completely. Right click and new tab doesn't bother me at all.

Edited by elrojo14

SWEET! Thanks for the pro tip!!! That satisfies me completely. Right click and new tab doesn't bother me at all.

I'm glad I mentioned it, then. I have to admit, I thought I'd be OK with it, too, but now that I've used it a hundred times or so, the slight extra effort is getting really old. The worst thing about it is it's just simple enough that, when I have to do it several times in a row, I start doing it mindlessly, but it's just complicated enough that my mind wanders and I discover I've closed a tab I still need or screw up in some other minor yet annoying way.

<br />
<br />I didn't want to make a new thread, but I don't like the new "add to list" because I always make notes when I add caches to a list. Now I have to "add to list", refresh the cache page, click on the bookmark list on the right, then CTRL-F for the cache name and then go make my notes. Anyway we can give an option to "add to list" with notes like we used to?<br />
<br />I think this was mentioned upthread, but the easier way to do this is right-click (or control-click) to open the "add to list" form in another tab, and then the page that you open that way is the old form where you can add the explanation before submitted the bookmark. Not as easy as it used to be because you have to open the second tab with a special click, and then you have to close two tabs when you're done, but considerably easier than going to the list and tracking down the vacuous entry you just added so you can edit it.<br /><br />This "slick" new way doesn't help me at all for exactly the reason you say: I <i>always</i> want to add a description, so the "quick add" is never useful. Originally I thought I might find the ease of adding outweighed the need for a description, but it turns out that's never the case: there's always additional information I want attached to the list entry.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Oh my god. Thank you! I use a bookmark list for my FTFs, and I always add the FTF # to the name. I wish we could edit the name in the little menu that pops up...