New app and Off line maps

I recently changed from Apple to android so had no option but to change to the new app. Personally I don't like it but no doubt I will get used to it.

However, I'm having problems with off line caching. I have got that my PQ's appear in the lists section and I have clicked download to offline........now this is where my issues start. I assumed that this was all I had to do and then all the caches including details hints maps and logs would all be available........nope! I went out caching and soon had no signal. Every cache I tried to open just said no signal.

What am I doing wrong?

Every cache I tried to open just said no signal.

What am I doing wrong?

You may need to be more specific about the error you're seeing. In the Official Geocaching App, if you have no connection and tap a cache icon that has not been loaded for offline use, there is an error in the middle of a blank screen within the App, "This content could not be loaded. Tap to Retry." If this is what you're seeing, there are a couple of gotchas to keep in mind.

You must download the cache while online. Choose a list, select "Download Offline Data", and wait a while. A teeny "Downloading" notice appears and a circle that shows the status, and you may hardly notice it. It's the smallest status info bar ever, I think it's in the Guinness Book of World Records. It disappears once the download is complete. You must ensure it's finished before you lose your data connection. It should keep "downloading" the list in the background, but keep an eye on that.

Other icons will be in view on the map offline, although not part of the list that was downloaded. Be sure you download in advance any cache you may hunt. Once you've downloaded the lists, switch to airplane mode and check it.

This App and most Geocaching Apps expect that you're online all the time. That is, you are offered menus and icons that only work online, and they will try to access the online data even though you're viewing pre-loaded data specifically for use offline. You have to remember which features work only online, and that you need to avoid them. And, yeah, remember which caches you did not download.

There are Apps that use only pre-loaded offline data, such as entire Pocket Queries of caches. And Apps that allow loading entire regions of maps, so you don't need to load individual "map tiles". Depending how much storage space is on your phone, and how many countries you visit, other Apps are an option.

Edited by kunarion