New App for Android cell phones

I was forced to change over the app on my cell phone...Samsung android.....It is horrible....wish I could have the old one back......the "you are close" message is annoying and often not real accurate....the green circle showing where the cache should be is terrible and blocks other street info on the app......I use garwin gps , but for a quick park and grab for new ones, the phone is fine. (WAS fine)...PLEASE have the gurus there check it out more thoroughly, maybe do an opinion poll...........GeoMedic from NJ and FL

I have found nothing to like about the new app, sorry to say.

1. Why remove integration with Google Maps? The option to have audible driving directions is a safety factor when navigating streets to get to a location close enough to walk. Otherwise, you are fostering distracted driving.

2. I don't care to ever navigate using a compass and walk in smaller and smaller circles instead of using landmarks and natural features in a visual search. Seems like a big deterrent to acquiring new geocachers.

3. Why remove the option to import .gpx files and reduce list creation options? I have yet to even see how to create a "list" on the website or my Android phone, but feel confident there will not be the extensive data editing available otherwise.

I am discouraged enough to consider leaving the hobby altogether.

1. Why remove integration with Google Maps? The option to have audible driving directions is a safety factor when navigating streets to get to a location close enough to walk. Otherwise, you are fostering distracted driving.

Are you referring to the app's "Trails" map? As I understand it, it is less costly to use OSM maps instead of Google Maps.

If you want to use Google Maps in the app, then you can do that. On the map view, click on the layers button and select one of the Google Maps options.

Regarding the driving directions - are you saying that having audible driving directions is bad? If so, then simply don't use that feature. If you're saying that audible driving directions are not available in the app, then it sounds like you haven't tried it yet. When viewing a cache in the app, click on the 'arrow in diamond' icon at the top of the screen and select the "Maps" app.

2. I don't care to ever navigate using a compass and walk in smaller and smaller circles instead of using landmarks and natural features in a visual search. Seems like a big deterrent to acquiring new geocachers.

Sounds like you want to see where you are on a map view? When viewing a cache in the app, click on 'Start', then click on the small horizontal preview map. That will open a full page map with an orange line showing your position relative to the cache.

3. Why remove the option to import .gpx files and reduce list creation options? I have yet to even see how to create a "list" on the website or my Android phone, but feel confident there will not be the extensive data editing available otherwise.

If you don't know how to create a "list" on the website, then this Help Center article may help: 1.5. Bookmark Lists

To create "lists" in the app, then this Help Center article may help: 1.6. Create, edit, and delete Lists

If you still have questions about Lists after reviewing and trying these things, then feel free to ask in the forum so cachers can assist.

That's too bad.

I have found nothing to like about the new app, sorry to say.

1. Google Maps directions are still available. Click the Start button, and an arrow icon should appear in the upper right. Tap that to open directions in google maps, or another turn-by-turn app.

2. Not sure exactly what you're referring to here. You can view the map while in navigate mode? Better yet, switch to satellite map for a clearer view of landmarks.

3. "Remove" is the wrong word. The new app was built from the ground up, and adding gpx import would have been a lot of work for questionable gain - any feature we add means another feature cut.

As for creating lists: In the mobile app, caches can be added to a list from the map or details view right from the options menu (three vertical dots in the top right). On the website, you can manage your lists from https://www.geocaching.com/my/lists.aspx

I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged, and I hope you can find a way to make the new app work for you!