Hugh spike in data usage question

I just got my Verizon bill for Jan. It showed a 5 fold increase in data usage. We were in Fl and were doing Geocaching but that is all. No streaming or other usage. One day showed 2 periods where .3 and .2 GB were used. We were east of Appalachicola maybe in a low coverage area but we have cached in such areas before.

My question is what could account for this as while we are home and caching for the same amount of times per day never showed this high usage.

I just got my Verizon bill for Jan. It showed a 5 fold increase in data usage. We were in Fl and were doing Geocaching but that is all. No streaming or other usage. One day showed 2 periods where .3 and .2 GB were used. We were east of Appalachicola maybe in a low coverage area but we have cached in such areas before.

My question is what could account for this as while we are home and caching for the same amount of times per day never showed this high usage.

Did you track the increased usage to the Geocaching app? You can see, at least since the last time you reset your usage stats, how much each app has used by going into Settings --> Cellular and scrolling down a bit. Each app listed should show the usage since the stats were last reset.

Did you track the increased usage to the Geocaching app? You can see, at least since the last time you reset your usage stats, how much each app has used by going into Settings --> Cellular and scrolling down a bit. Each app listed should show the usage since the stats were last reset.

having never been in the section of my phone let me list waht i found.

Call time

Current period 4 days 1 hour

Life time 4 days 1 hour

Cellular data usage

Current period 19.5 gb

Current period roaming 7.5 gb

Under Cellular usage for geocaching classic 752mb

If that is a life time usage I find that very low compared to the other app on the phone considering I know I spend far more time geocaching than I do on weather bug.

I see voice is enabled in cellular data options but data is not

Is there a way to reset these counters and follow usage in the future?

Edited by acachebox

I think the new app may indeed use more data. I'm currently stuck with only 3G or extended coverage and the old app used to be a bit slow sometimes but would load the closest 30 geocaches easily enough. On the new app I can sit there for 5 minutes and still be waiting on the nearby caches to show up. And it's not the data connection at fault because the map itself will load.