Recommendations for Android API app to replace non-API app?

When I began caching 2.5 years ago, I needed an Android app to start with. I saw some online recommendations for c:geo and so started with that. At the time I had zero knowledge of API (or anything caching-related). All I knew was that c:geo seemed to work fine, and so far I've been using it since.

Fast forward to today. I've now a better understanding of reasons to *not* use c:geo, and so I am looking for Android API alternatives. My issue is that, by now, I've gotten extremely used to c:geo's capabilities and setup.

Which Android API partner apps would you all recommend as being closest to c:geo in terms of capabilities and setup, so I can (to the extent possible) minimize the hassle of wrapping my brain around a new app?

I have seen some threads asking for Android app recommendations generally, but the ones I've seen are somewhat dated. So I'm starting this with the hope of getting up-to-date comments and recommendations. If there's a recent thread on this topic that I've missed, please let me know and I'll close this in favor of reviewing that one.

Thanks all.

I started using an Android to supplement my iPhone- particularly when I need a device that is waterproof, rugged, has extended battery life. Since Geosphere is my primary iPhone app, I was looking for something that would come close to that for ease of use and features. One of the good things about Android is that there are a number of apps to try for free. What works well for me may not be as good for you.

I tried Cachesense - and purchased it - but it was never intuitive for me. I settled on GCDroid but found that it did not automatically download all the images on a cache page for offline use. That was important to me so I started to use Locus Pro. It has a tool to do that - it also supports topo and hillside shading so it's maps are very nice. It's more of a mapping program with geocaching add ons.

I often use Locus for an overview but usually end up going to GCDroid when looking for a cache in the field (especially in conjunction with OSMAnd maps). The interface works well for me. I just read about GeoHawk and may give that a try.

Edited by geodarts

WHAT DID YOU NOT LIKE ABOUT THE CGEO? I AM LOOKING FOR AN ANDROID APP MYSELF AND WHAT IS API?

When I began caching 2.5 years ago, I needed an Android app to start with. I saw some online recommendations for c:geo and so started with that. At the time I had zero knowledge of API (or anything caching-related). All I knew was that c:geo seemed to work fine, and so far I've been using it since.

Fast forward to today. I've now a better understanding of reasons to *not* use c:geo, and so I am looking for Android API alternatives. My issue is that, by now, I've gotten extremely used to c:geo's capabilities and setup.

Which Android API partner apps would you all recommend as being closest to c:geo in terms of capabilities and setup, so I can (to the extent possible) minimize the hassle of wrapping my brain around a new app?

I have seen some threads asking for Android app recommendations generally, but the ones I've seen are somewhat dated. So I'm starting this with the hope of getting up-to-date comments and recommendations. If there's a recent thread on this topic that I've missed, please let me know and I'll close this in favor of reviewing that one.

Thanks all.

Edited by Dewns

WHAT DID YOU NOT LIKE ABOUT THE CGEO? I AM LOOKING FOR AN ANDROID APP MYSELF AND WHAT IS API?

The API (Application Program Interface) is Groundspeak's approved method for partner apps to access the site. It has some limitations for basic members - but is less restrictive than the "official" app. It allows a lot of flexibility for premium members. C:geo does not go through the API, but instead scrapes the site in violation of the terms of use.

There are many Android apps that use the API and offer free versions so you can try them out. I settled in on GCDroid and Locus Map Pro - in an ideal world I would combine the best features of both. I use GCDroid in conjunction with other mapping apps, such as OSMAnd+ for trails and HERE for driving. I found it to be easy to use and it meets most of my needs. Locus is primarily a mapping program with caching add-ons - it has some great features and beautiful maps but it took me a little more work to set it up and get used to it.

I tried most of the others (including C:geo for curiosity) but what I like may not work for you. Give some of the apps a try and see what you think.

Edited by geodarts
22 minutes ago, Vidfamne said:

I come from the Windows Phone side and loved Maaloo outdoor. It had a handy feature in that it showed the compass on top of the map, so I didn't have to switch between the to as with C:Geo and the official app. Any (good) apps that can do that?

I've used Android apps that can do that, but they are no longer supported.

Groundspeak's app features a compass of sorts. It's a narrow black strip that shows the bearing you're facing, and as you rotate, the black strip scrolls. I don't find it nearly as useful as the compass overlay.

1 hour ago, Vidfamne said:

I come from the Windows Phone side and loved Maaloo outdoor. It had a handy feature in that it showed the compass on top of the map, so I didn't have to switch between the to as with C:Geo and the official app. Any (good) apps that can do that?

I usually use my Garmin GPSr, but occassionally I will pull out my phone and alternate between apps. Geooh Live has an interesting feature that when you navigate to a cache, depending on how you tilt your phone, you can see the map only, a compass and a map, or just the compass. As you tilt, one slowly fades in while the other washes out.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Vidfamne said:

When using the map display, Locus Pro shows a North indicator, a pointer to the target, and a bearing line from your position to the target. I almost never use the compass screen any more unless I have an actual need to view the degrees. 

20180806_163543.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1