Earthcache reviewing backlog?

funkymunkyzone

I figure I might as well ask here as I'm sure a reviewer or 2 will see this question...

I've had an earthcache awaiting review for about 12 days now, and a friend has had one waiting, I guess, a month or more (although I haven't caught up with her recently to check if any response yet). Is there a backlog of earthcaches being reviewed at the moment? Can't say I'm seeing many (any actually, in my part of the world) being published...

Or maybe Tonga, where the earthcaches in question are located, has fallen through the cracks?

I figure I might as well ask here as I'm sure a reviewer or 2 will see this question...

I've had an earthcache awaiting review for about 12 days now, and a friend has had one waiting, I guess, a month or more (although I haven't caught up with her recently to check if any response yet). Is there a backlog of earthcaches being reviewed at the moment? Can't say I'm seeing many (any actually, in my part of the world) being published...

Or maybe Tonga, where the earthcaches in question are located, has fallen through the cracks?

I believe the Geoaware's have regions of responsibility just like the Volunteer Reviewer's. Just like the Volunteer Reviewers, there are parts of Earth that don't divide up so easily into distinct territories of responsibility, or the regional choices on the website aren't as well defined as others. As CH implied, there are global Geoaware's, just like there are global Volunteer Reviewers to cover these out of the way corners of the planet.

There's also the following in the Help Center:

Please be patient during review. EarthCache pages include a lot of details and scientific information, so they require extra attention. The process may take longer than seven days.

Link for reference:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=294

Most of my submissions have been on the order of at least 2 weeks to get Published.

Most of my submissions have been on the order of at least 2 weeks to get Published.

My last few in the US have all taken between 1-2 weeks as well. I expect Tonga does complicate things.

Thankfully, this forum has a good track record of reviewer participation (thanks, y'all!), so you've come to the right place.

I see that geoawareANZ published 3 earthcaches in Tonga on February 28, 2017, two by funkymonkeyzone and one by alpenmilch80, so all's well that ends well.

I also see that all three have finds predating the publication by people who were there when the CO was planning out the earthcache, which is interesting. Never really thought about what I'd do in that situation, as I've never been in it -- not calling anyone out, just food for thought.

Edited by hzoi

Thanks everyone for your patience. Each area has a designated reviewer, and sometimes, if they are unavailable for awhile (life happens, even for geocache reviewers! ;p), another reviewer fills in, and often, that filling in results in a slowdown, since they have other areas to cover as well. So again, thanks for your patience.

--Matt

One to two weeks is incredibly fast review...

In Finland, there is discussion ongoing in forums, as there are Earthcaches that have been in the review queue over six MONTHS!

Thinking to create a new Earthcache, which describes the effects of the next ice age. Maybe it will be reviewed at the time the ice melts...

I see that geoawareANZ published 3 earthcaches in Tonga on February 28, 2017, two by funkymonkeyzone and one by alpenmilch80, so all's well that ends well.

I also see that all three have finds predating the publication by people who were there when the CO was planning out the earthcache, which is interesting. Never really thought about what I'd do in that situation, as I've never been in it -- not calling anyone out, just food for thought.

Yep, to be clear, with my opening post, I wasn't panicking, just asking if there was a backlog. Clearly didn't take much for it to come to the attention of GeoawareANZ and all sorted.

Re the pre-publication finds, I helped research alpenmilch's EC so, with her blessing, our group knew the location and questions prior to our trip. It's an awesome spot and I highly recommend a visit! With regards mine, I developed the tasks/questions on site and from prior research and everyone there with me completed them to my satisfaction. No point making people fly back across the Pacific when they've already visited and completed the EC! And no claims made regarding the unofficial FTF side-game ;)

Yep, to be clear, with my opening post, I wasn't panicking, just asking if there was a backlog. Clearly didn't take much for it to come to the attention of GeoawareANZ and all sorted.

Re the pre-publication finds, I helped research alpenmilch's EC so, with her blessing, our group knew the location and questions prior to our trip. It's an awesome spot and I highly recommend a visit! With regards mine, I developed the tasks/questions on site and from prior research and everyone there with me completed them to my satisfaction. No point making people fly back across the Pacific when they've already visited and completed the EC! And no claims made regarding the unofficial FTF side-game ;)

I don't have an issue. I just hadn't really thought about it being a possibility. If I vacationed with friends and came up with an earthcache while they were with us, I'd let them log it. And if they did the same, I might want to reciprocate.

As for FTF, well, I think I brought it up in another thread around here, but it was actually a debate amongst loggers on one of our earthcaches that led to my no longer recognizing anyone as FTF as the CO, even on traditional caches. Subsequently, I opted not to include any ECs I may have logged first as "FTF," just not worth the hassle.

Back to the topic at hand: congrats on getting your EC published. I don't know if I'll make it out there, but if so, I'll try to visit.

Well I may be biased, since I own half the earthcaches on Tongatapu, but all 4 EC's there are awesome locations - the largest known boulder in the world to have been shifted up hill by a tsunami, a spectacular land bridge, an awesome cave to go swimming in and admire beautiful speleothems, and an amazing stretch of coast with blowholes that when you get the tide and waves just right just sounds like ghostly breathing.

Go on, book your tickets now!

Out of curiosity, I checked prices. At first it looked like US $2500, but then the deals started popping up for US $1600. About 38 hours going our, but only about 28 hours coming back!

...Yeah, I don't think we're gonna make it this year. :anibad:

I to would do this or allow others to do it because earth caches are NOT geocaches. Since there is nothing to sign, what does it matter when you were actually there. You either know the answers or don't. If virtual caches were still published and one was published of a spot that I have been to in the past, I would log that without revisiting. These listings are not materially different than waymarks, which describe someplace you've been, not were you there after the waymark listing was created.