Political persuasions and geocaching

brodiebunch

Several years back a co-worker of mine found out we did not share the same political views. We don't see each other all that often because of our work schedules, etc. Last summer when he found out that geocaching was a hobby of mine, I asked if he knew much about it or had been geocaching himself. He said no but knew others who geocached. When we do cross paths he always try to inject something political into our conversation which I ignore generally. That time he mentioned that most of the geocachers he knew leaned Right politically, he asked me if I had observed the same thing. I said no because:

1)I rarely see other geocachers and rarely attend geocaching events.

2)That is not the first thing on my mind.

3)Assume that since I live in area that leans Left politically that most local geocachers would be too.

However that got me thinking about that topic from time to time.

Has anyone noticed a political leaning of one way or the other of the geocachers they know in their areas?

Right now social media and the political environment is exceptionally divided so I am not seeking opinions on politicians, election results, or political issues. Just what geocachers have observed about their follower geocacher, if anything.

The only time I've talked politics with another geocacher was last fall. Those geocachers were from Europe though.

Generally, I avoid discussing politics with other cachers. As Charles M. Schulz said "There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people... Religion, Politics, and The Great Pumpkin."

Nowadays, it can be difficult to have a conversation, even on points where the other person agrees with me, without it becoming too spirited. I have heard the opinions of some other cachers in my area. Mostly left, a few right.

I've met many geocachers over the years. We have never discussed politics. Geocaching. Who's a good CO. How to solve difficult puzzles. Which caches should I hunt for next? Never politics.

Sounds like the OP's coworker is annoyingly agressive. With an agendum of his own. Ignore him. Why would he want to shower you wwwwith this propagandum?

I have seen geocachers leave religious dissertations (diatribes) in cache logs. Always found that strange.

But with geocachers, we discuss geoccaching!

Politics never really came up while I was socializing with other geocachers. I could generally sense where they stood on the political scale, but we talked about geocaching, hiking, paddling, beer and other fun stuff. Never politics.

It wasn't until Facebook, and more specifically the recent national election, when I found where many of my geocaching friends and acquaintances stood politically. I've actually unfriended a few on FB because I was tired of their political rants. Some of them I always liked when meeting them in person and some I've known since the very early days of geocaching, so it pained me to do it, but I got tired of the broken record.

As far as the political distribution I think it largely mirrors the country with people on the left, right and in the middle. If anything there might be a slightly higher percentage of Libertarians than in the general population due to the nature of the game.

I live in a area that tends to the left (Mr. Trump won less than 16% of the vote). I am more left than some, but most local cachers that I know share the demography of my area. The cachers who have become friends share many of my values, although for some reason they do not seem to understand my interest in professional darts (that is another topic). My logs from a recent trip covered everything from labor history (the IWW and a more recent copper strike) to the Wall or UFOs, so I like to think I have a number of interests that reflect who I am and how I participate in this game.

I have cached with people that may be more conservative, but our conversation rarely goes to those topics.

At one mega event I saw a booth that had something to do with immigration. I assumed it reflected my views on the matter. It turned out I was wrong. My friend reminded me that "we were not in Kansas anymore." The game does indeed encompass a wide range of people, politics, and interests.

Edited by geodarts

I have seen politics come up with geocachers on a couple of forums and on Facebook, but most geocachers seem to be respectful enough to leave politics aside in order to enjoy friendships within the game. From what I do know of people's general leanings, there seems to be quite a range but I haven't taken a poll. There's room in the game for everyone. I would be pretty uncomfortable if a geocaching acquaintance got pushy about this topic with me.

Politics never really came up while I was socializing with other geocachers. I could generally sense where they stood on the political scale, but we talked about geocaching, hiking, paddling, beer and other fun stuff. Never politics.

It wasn't until Facebook, and more specifically the recent national election, when I found where many of my geocaching friends and acquaintances stood politically.

Same for me. Never discussed politics with any of my caching friends - with exception of some of my best friends who I knew before caching; I already knew their views. Never discussed politics at an event.

But some of my caching friends are now friends on Facebook. And some of them post political things there. (Here in the UK it was more about "Brexit"). But still, we don't discuss politics at events, and it doesn't change our relationship in any way. And I wouldn't like to try and generalize where Geocachers generally stand politically.

Here in FL I have met geocachers both left and right wing. I don't think I learned of any of their politics unless I saw them on Facebook. There are some geocachers I know that are quite pleasant to cache with so long as the subject of politics never comes up because they are diehards.

There's a time and place for politics; thus ain't it. Geocaching really ought to be non-political as much as possible.

I have seen politics come up with geocachers on a couple of forums and on Facebook, but most geocachers seem to be respectful enough to leave politics aside in order to enjoy friendships within the game.

I remember the days when one could discuss politics with friends and continue to respect them. Today, America is so politically divided that inter-party marriage is the new inter-racial marriage.

Here in FL I have met geocachers both left and right wing. I don't think I learned of any of their politics unless I saw them on Facebook. There are some geocachers I know that are quite pleasant to cache with so long as the subject of politics never comes up because they are diehards.

There's a time and place for politics; thus ain't it. Geocaching really ought to be non-political as much as possible.

Yeah, Facebook and bumper stickers are where I learn anything that I know about people's politics. It's usually not a big deal, but there was one geo-dude I quietly unfollowed because his FB posts were really abrasive. I wasn't bothered by the fact of what he believed; his anger level was just not what I need to see on Facebook when I'm there to see cute pictures of people's kids and fun updates about people's travels etc. Too bad, because he seemed nice enough in person but I just don't feel comfortable around him now.

At one mega event I saw a booth that had something to do with immigration.

Wait, what?

I have a limited pool of megas from which to pull, but this seems very odd to me. What happened to the "no agenda" rule? What was a booth like this even doing at a caching event?

I participate in a non-GS geocaching forum where it's users talk about a lot of things that have nothing to do with geocaching. Personally, I think that not limiting discussion to just geocaching related topics allows us to get to know each other better. There have been a few instances when politics did get started, but it quickly became obvious that the political divide (with a bunch of people that were willing to express their opinions) was causing some hurt feelings so now political posts are strongly discouraged.

It wasn't until Facebook, and more specifically the recent national election, when I found where many of my geocaching friends and acquaintances stood politically. I've actually unfriended a few on FB because I was tired of their political rants. Some of them I always liked when meeting them in person and some I've known since the very early days of geocaching, so it pained me to do it, but I got tired of the broken record.

I haven't had any issues with geocachers on FB (and a I follow a somewhat active geocaching FB group) and political rants. I don't think I've unfriended anyone either but there were a few times I wanted to, but refrained doing so because they were family members.

I rarely if ever discuss politics during geocaching or geocaching related events. On the social media I might chime in once in a while but then that's only as a reaction to someone else's stupid post. I don't think I intentionally start a political post on social media and am bright enough to know we all have our own opinions.. and respect that, until that one stupid post. :ph34r:

On the original topic, I have a few caching friends who are also facebook friends and whose political views differ greatly from mine. (As well as non-geocaching friends.) I am around the middle of the spectrum and have seen some varying opinions on both ends of the spectrum. I've not actually unfriended anyone yet. Some I have unfollowed. Others I quietly follow for entertainment purposes.

That all being said, it stays off the local geocaching forum, for which I am infinitely grateful.

Edited by hzoi

Since I live in a country where there are more than two major political parties (both at the federal and provincial level), people generally don't fall into either "left" or "right". Political categorization just isn't a thing up here (or at least out here on the west coast).

If politics ever comes up at all in the local caching circles, it's usually only to make witty comments on the state of other political systems, like the one that's currently in a state of major flux.