Caches on US Forest Service Land in Oregon?

GeoNap

I'm sure this one has been discussed before (and I have read some of the previous threads and they didn't answer my question), I have a specific question I'm hoping someone can answer. Or at least point me in the right direction.

Is it 'Ok' to place a cache on US Forest Service Land? Specifically how about in Oregon? I'm talking about an area that requires the Forest Service Pass to park at a trailhead... and has miles and miles of trails.

I'd rather not say specifically which area, as I would like to place a cache there. I just don't want to waste my time planning and placing it... just to see it pulled (or not approved). Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In general the Forests are Ok except for Wilderness areas and other special locations that have sensitive habitat or cultural resources. Also, logging, mining and controlled burn activities can make an area unsuitable for caches. You can always ask the Recreation Manager of the Forest in question about your proposed cache location.

In the Three Sisters Wilderness there is a $100 fine for leaving a cache longer than 48 hours. This rule was originally aimed at hunters but applies to geocachers, too. There are several caches in this wilderness that could result in fines if they were discovered.

I have one that requires the NW Forest Pass, if this is the pass you refer to GeoNap. And I know of at least 2 others that also require this pass for parking at the trailheads. Many around Timothy Lake and in the Mt. Hood National Forest fall in this category as well I am sure.

And I have my yearly pass, so I say hide away, I will hunt it icon_biggrin.gif

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

The Detroit Ranger district of Willamette NF has a specific geocaching policy that they plan to post soon at trailheads. They allow caching on NF land as long as it isn't disturbing some special area, flora or archaeological site. One of the rangers is a geocacher. Last year they removed 2 caches in the Mt Jeff WA (mystic mist and marion lake cache)

When I placed Chintimini, I went to the Alsea ranger district of Siuslaw NF to get permission. the ranger in charge of recreation said they were well aware of geocaching, had no set policy, and gave permission- no questions asked.

Forget bananas, gimme some cheese!

Thanks for all of the great responses, I appreciate it. I was pretty sure the area I had selected was acceptable and after reading these responses I am even more confident that it is.

So, the next chance I get I'll be placing a cache that will be a great hike in a pretty cool area.