Montana 650 not showing geocaching icons on map

rovers3

I have a Montana 650 with software v7.10.

I have been using this unit for a number of years now and have always placed my pocket queries on the card in the unit by moving them from my mac to the GPX folder on the card.

When I open the map the icons for all of the nearby caches have always appeared on the map.

All of a sudden none of the geocache icons are visible until I chose a cache to see from the "find a geocache" dropdown list and then only this cache's icon is visible on the map and none of the other nearby caches.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what caused this and how to fix it?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

All of a sudden none of the geocache icons are visible until I chose a cache to see from the "find a geocache" dropdown list and then only this cache's icon is visible on the map and none of the other nearby caches.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what caused this and how to fix it?

It's likely just a filter that was set. Here's one place to look (that info is specifically for other models, but your device should be similar). If the caches are beyond 100 miles from the device's perceived location, they won't automatically be displayed, so if the caches are local, be sure the Montana is showing its actual location.

It's also possible that a map zoom setting was changed (zoom further in and caches appear). If you think it may be a setting, change to another Profile as a test, to see the difference. But remember that Garmin's factory settings for the Geocaching Profile aren't always well-suited to Geocaching. :anicute:

When you get it working as you like, back up everything on the Montana. Then in the future, you can restore all the settings at once by just replacing one faulty Profile.

Edited by kunarion
The icons show up when I change profiles.

So that tells you it's just a setting. I don't have a "Montana", so I may not be able to walk you through the exact steps. But there's more than one "filter" menu.

Look at the Geocaching Filters here: http://www.gpsrchive.com/Montana/index.htm

(Click through "Setup - Geocaching - Custom Filters")

There are several screens. Maybe you'll notice an odd setting in one of those.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks Hans, that solved the problem.

Don't know how it got messed up but OK for now I hope!!

Glad you got it sorted.

The Montanas sometimes loose map settings after an inadvertently crash or after having new maps installed. So if it happen again that you'll not seeing caches: check this zoom levels first. ;-)

Hans