Reconnaissance

jpbanksnj

Those spots you're taking pics of could just as easily been searched real time while there. :)

A bit involved for a light hobby, but as long as you aren't spoiling the hunt for others, sure you can.

Well its a unique situation. The video I took is not an "easily searched" place while you're actually there in person, the question now becomes how do I make it an easily spot to log! Trust me, if it was against the rules, I wouldn't even bother, I'm new to this Geocaching thing but integrity has been a lifelong journey and guide. Glad to know that I'm good to go. Thanks!

Of course some D5/T5 caches are also "a bit involved for a light hobby." ;)

I never heard of the filming being done, but it's an excellent idea for a new cacher, especially if the GZ area is filled with muggles. Go home, look at the images, and ask yourself, "Where are all the possible hiding places?"

Never assume anything is as it seems. Things can be hollow or fake. Or attached with magnets. Or parts can move or open that you wouldn't expect to move or open. Etc. GL!

The video I took is not an "easily searched" place while you're actually there in person, the question now becomes how do I make it an easily spot to log!

In a crowded placed where people are all walking past, I go with the flow, grab the container, sign the log and put it back. There are tons of threads around this Forum about what to do in a mass muggle situation, and that depends on the situation. But 99% of the time, nobody in the entire crowd will notice or even remember you if you hunt/find/sign/replace a cache.

I have taken a whole bunch of pictures at a cache spot. It was a stage of a 5/5 Multicache, supposedly there were hidden coords under a bridge. I took hundreds of pictures under that bridge, and zoomed in on my computer at home. That greatly helped me get the coordinates! Not because of the pictures... I didn't find any coords in any of the pictures. But when the Cache Owner found out, he felt so sorry for me, he sent the coords to the next stage. :laughing:

Is it allowed in the rules that if you go to a Geocache location and are not having any luck finding it, can you take photos/video of the area for later review at home? These photos/videos would not be shared online or with others.

there have been (very few!) people grumbling about geotagged photos being used to skip puzzle/multi cache steps lately. geotagged photos are very easy to produce with a smartphone, and you probably already have a few if you're taking photos / videos with your phone at parks/caches. it's VERY handy for recording hikes, as you can record a gpx track while hiking/caching, and then overlay your geotagged photos onto that gpx trail, if you're using a really good mapping application. just be aware if you're counting on uploading a "woohoo i found it!" photo to your log that is geotagged, someone might get all huffy about taking a photo at their cache site. ya, you found it, ya, it's YOUR photo, but still, people are weird. just so you don't end up wondering what you did wrong (nothing, actually) in the event your photos start disappearing from logs. its a really good idea to store your FOUND logs offline, in case a cache owner or the gc'ing website ever trips over a power plug and 'accidentally' deletes your stuff.

as far as just taking pictures to help with YOUR hunt, that's great, and a really good use of all the tools you have available. binoculars work really good too for some caches that aren't easy to get to, or easily reached without a lot of time spent rigging.

if you aren't finding something that you think should be there, make sure the recent logs are all 'found'. a lot of caches aren't maintained. ;-)

Is it allowed in the rules that if you go to a Geocache location and are not having any luck finding it, can you take photos/video of the area for later review at home? These photos/videos would not be shared online or with others.

Of course you can take photos for your own use ...anytime you want!

Who in the world would try to tell you you can't ... or even know that you did?

Unless the area is some kind of government restricted area, and there wouldn't be a geocache there anyway! :rolleyes:

Of course you can take photos for your own use ...anytime you want!

Who in the world would try to tell you you can't ... or even know that you did?

Unless the area is some kind of government restricted area, and there wouldn't be a geocache there anyway! :rolleyes:

Exactly. I have to say, it's an odd question.

You can certainly try, but chances are that if you didn't see it while you were there, then it is unlikely that you will see it in your picture either. Remember, whatever you are looking for may be cleverly concealed, or may be very small. Did you look -under- the bench, -inside- that hole, etc.