geo coins, Keep?

summerwinter

I am always stressed by people who do not move on TBs. Now I am wondering if I am doing something wrong when I keep geo coins that I find in caches. I want to do the right thing. Let me know the proper way to do things. Thanks Summerwinter.

Geocoins are the most expensive of the trackables, and are not to be kept. Log them and move them just like any other trackable.

You are not confusing geocoins with PathTags are you? :unsure:

Curious why one would think it's okay to keep someone's coins, yet understand that other trackables are to be moved on.

Unless a coin is listed as for another's collection (we've left unactivated coins in caches...) they're to move cache-to-cache.

As Manville Possum said, if those coins are little, have a hole in them, and don't say Geocaching.com anywhere (not trackable here), odds are they're meant to be either kept, or moved along. :)

Most of those little coin-like things we sometimes hold onto for micro swag.

I thought I posted a reply last night but it is not showing, so if this is a repeat forgive me.

I checked my coins, 4 of 5 say 'path tag' and have numbers on them. I have had them for a while but I think I registed them when I found them.

The fifth one says EXTAGZ.COM. It also has a number but fainter. Not sure I registered it when I got it last summer while in South Dakota. Any way is it like a geo coin, mine to keep? I plan on making a braclet or necklace with these coins.

Thanks for all the help.

Summerwinter

Any way is it like a geo coin, mine to keep?

The items not trackable at Geocaching.com (and which then have a completely different ".com" place to log in and log them) are, within the game, considered as trade items (Swag), and typically may be kept by the finder.

Cachers place those valuable items in the hope that it will be a fun surprise, and that maybe the finder will log the items. A fair trade would be nice. If you'd part with one when I offer you $1 for one of my choice, a trade of a dollar's worth of Swag is fair. Most finders treat such coins as much more valuable :ph34r:. But it's cool that you did do the extra step signing up on another site to log them. Some of those coins have maps and stats.

Some items are in fact Officially Trackable, yet it's tough to know for sure (if you can't even tell, go ahead and ask). And some items are designed with poor man's "tracking", where an email is requested or whatever. Many of these were placed with the idea that the finder will let the owner know it was found (you know, with a Thank You or something. Anything?). It's not always a great idea to immediately pocket a valuable item found in a cache, but it's a popular idea. <_<

Edited by kunarion

I thought I posted a reply last night but it is not showing, so if this is a repeat forgive me.

I checked my coins, 4 of 5 say 'path tag' and have numbers on them. I have had them for a while but I think I registered them when I found them.

The fifth one says EXTAGZ.COM. It also has a number but fainter. Not sure I registered it when I got it last summer while in South Dakota. Any way is it like a geo coin, mine to keep? I plan on making a bracelet or necklace with these coins.

Thanks for all the help.

Summerwinter

Pathtags and Extagz are yours to keep. You should trade sometime of equal or more value when you find them in geocaches.

Geocoins are usually never "mine to keep" They are like Travel Bugs.

Any way is it like a geo coin, mine to keep?

As the others have said geocoins are NOT yours to keep. Activated coins are meant to travel just like travel bugs. It is rare to find an unactivated coin or an old coin that isn't trackable (as the first ones were not) in a cache.