Crossing Ice to get caches on an island

Ma & Pa

If you have never cached in snow I thought you might find this interesting and different from what you do.

10 years ago we started a caching event where we invited cachers to come to our place and cross the ice in snowshoes to an island to grab a bunch of caches and then return for a pot luck. Over the years, the event got so big that we eventually moved the event to a local hall and we added caches on another local island. We were not available this year so someone took over the event. I thought you might enjoy the logs and photos of their caching day.

Some cachers walked over 10 miles in snowshoes picking up 23 caches. There are also stories and photos on some of the island caches.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6YRF8_eleventh-annual-icewalk-a-new-decade?guid=7aa933ad-f052-4751-a995-394ceb68bd4b

For the record, this event is Saturday February 18th 2017, at Notre Centre Grande Digue, New Brunswick, Canada.

Sorry. I thought it was clear. I simply wanted to give cachers a view of a different kind of event. The event page has interesting logs and photos of the activities in the snow on the islands during last saturday's event

PAul

For the record, this event is Saturday February 18th 2017, at Notre Centre Grande Digue, New Brunswick, Canada.

Sorry. I thought it was clear. I simply wanted to give cachers a view of a different kind of event. The event page has interesting logs and photos of the activities in the snow on the islands during last saturday's event

PAul

Not to worry - I thought it was clear, too. I live in the southeast US and we don't get weather that cold. I loved looking at the pictures - I particularly liked the heron nests! A friend of mine and I have been talking about going somewhere cold enough to try snow shoeing - maybe one day!

Thanks for sharing!

That looks like it was a whole lotta fun! cool.gif

We've done similar; a semi-recurring Hard Water event on a big frozen lake west of Edmonton. In our case, we mostly drive to the islands, maybe because of the distances involved.

ba641143-89f9-41d0-bdaf-863f25b2cc6c_l.jpg

And who knew you could get away with building a bonfire right on the ice? I just assumed it would quickly sink out of sight. Apparently not, if you build it right.

After nearly two straight weeks of 40 degree F weather here in Minnesota, I wouldn't be going anywhere near the ice unless we get back to a real winter.

Same here, except it's been in the 50's and 60's here in Wisconsin.

This is usually my favorite time of year in terms of getting out and walking on the ice because the weather is warming up a bit but there is usually still plenty of ice. I like getting hard water caches as well but mostly I just enjoy taking walks on frozen lakes/rivers, so this is kind of a bummer.

As for the event, while I don't go to events, if I did, this would be the kind I would attend. It looks like a lot of fun.