Message Center Issues

I was trying to message someone who logged one of my caches recently using the Message Center in the app. I went to search for their username and it didn't come up, even though I spelled it exactly as it is online. So I was just not able to send them a new message from the app. I had to start the message thread on the website and then it displayed on the app.

Also, there is another user I was messaging with that has changed their username and picture. It has not changed in the message center in the app even though I've pulled down to refresh.

It would be a great feature to be able to click on someones user name in a cache log and have the option to message them, instead of having to type in their username in the search in the message center.

I was trying to message someone who logged one of my caches recently using the Message Center in the app. I went to search for their username and it didn't come up, even though I spelled it exactly as it is online. So I was just not able to send them a new message from the app. I had to start the message thread on the website and then it displayed on the app.

It would be great if in the App there was the ability to tap any username in a log and start the message center... just like you can within the Message Center in that App. I sure don't want to type those names.

One thing that's cool in Safari is you can browse to the member's Profile (click their username in one of their logs, or in a notification Email, to open their Profile), then tap the "Send Message" link, and then tap "Open In the Geocaching App" (at the top of the screen, when you pull down slightly on the web page). That opens the Message Center in the App, with the new message opened to the correctly spelled username. But in that case, you might as well just type the message while in Safari.

Edited by kunarion

It would be great if in the App there was the ability to tap any username in a log and start the message center... just like you can within the Message Center in that App. I sure don't want to type those names.

One thing that's cool in Safari is you can browse to the member's Profile (click their username in one of their logs, or in a notification Email, to open their Profile), then tap the "Send Message" link, and then tap "Open In the Geocaching App" (at the top of the screen, when you pull down slightly on the web page). That opens the Message Center in the App, with the new message opened to the correctly spelled username. But in that case, you might as well just type the message while in Safari.

I don't use Safari on my iPhone. I use Google Chrome and currently there is no option to open in the app when using Chrome. Also the message center flat out doesn't send messages when I use Chrome on my phone.

I don't use Safari on my iPhone. I use Google Chrome and currently there is no option to open in the app when using Chrome. Also the message center flat out doesn't send messages when I use Chrome on my phone.

I read MC messages in the App, but I reply when I'm home and at a PC so I can type and copy/paste a decent reply. I hate "typing" on a phone :anibad:. An MC reply tends to be kind of wordy (and then there are coordinates to post), and I get one shot to post the whole thing correctly.

On a phone, I also use Chrome all the time. Well, unless Safari opens from a web link, or when I'm trying out Geocaching App ideas. But that's the thing. The App gets along well with Safari. If I ever get a phone plan, I'll probably use Safari much more often for Geocaching. I'm one of the few who seem to be capable of using both "the App" and the Geocaching.com web site which has all the features. I absolutely do not need an App to be the web site, since I have the web site already there on the phone. All I need a "Geocaching App" for (aside from an offline database) is the compass. Well, also to read MC messages, since they tend to work within the App even when the web version doesn't.

Edited by kunarion

I'm one of the few who seem to be capable of using both "the App" and the Geocaching.com web site which has all the features.

Maybe they will create a Souvenir for you?

Everyone is capable but you seem to be more tolerant of a sub-optimal experience. Because GS refuses to open the API to support messaging and some other features, anyone who uses a 3rd party app needs to use multiple apps and/or their browser to access those features.

There are also bugs in features on the web site and within the app that seem to pop up pretty frequently recently as GS struggles to quickly launch app features with the impending legacy app shutdown.

I'm one of the few who seem to be capable of using both "the App" and the Geocaching.com web site which has all the features.

Maybe they will create a Souvenir for you?

Everyone is capable but you seem to be more tolerant of a sub-optimal experience. Because GS refuses to open the API to support messaging and some other features, anyone who uses a 3rd party app needs to use multiple apps and/or their browser to access those features.

There are also bugs in features on the web site and within the app that seem to pop up pretty frequently recently as GS struggles to quickly launch app features with the impending legacy app shutdown.

I also am fully capable of using both the app and the website, and I often do use the website. As I am right now...

I was away from home and someone found one of my caches and I needed to contact them immediately. They are new cachers and they put in their log that they put candy in the cache. I wanted to tell them that that was not okay. This is where I ran into my problem. I tried to search for their username in the Message Center in the app but their name did not come up.

I also am fully capable of using both the app and the website, and I often do use the website. As I am right now...

I was away from home and someone found one of my caches and I needed to contact them immediately. They are new cachers and they put in their log that they put candy in the cache. I wanted to tell them that that was not okay. This is where I ran into my problem. I tried to search for their username in the Message Center in the app but their name did not come up.

As a test, I tried to "search" for a particular unverified member, and the web site failed, but the App found him. And that was an easy one to type. For many usernames, trying to type them is gonna be a real pain.

There is a "Contact" button for Cache Owners, the button's on the cache page. Having a simple button (or a tap on the name) for a CO to contact finders is a great idea! Since as I already mentioned, you can contact them in a couple of taps from Safari, and a couple of taps from the Notification email and several other ways if it's important, you have to try pretty hard to not contact them :ph34r:, but whatever. Since we can contact someone in the MC (within the APP) by tapping a username, why not enable the same functionality in all areas of the App!

Edited by kunarion

As a test, I tried to "search" for a particular unverified member, and the web site failed, but the App found him. And that was an easy one to type. For many usernames, trying to type them is gonna be a real pain.

There is a "Contact" button for Cache Owners, the button's on the cache page. Having a simple button (or a tap on the name) for a CO to contact finders is a great idea! Since as I already mentioned, you can contact them in a couple of taps from Safari, and a couple of taps from the Notification email and several other ways if it's important, you have to try pretty hard to not contact them :ph34r:, but whatever. Since we can contact someone in the MC (within the APP) by tapping a username, why not enable the same functionality in all areas of the App!

you are right @Sherminator18.