Cache Logged but reverts to not logged

Sideways66

Hi I have logged a cache GC6G3KG and uploaded a photo on the 13 Feb 2017 on my Android phone. The "Smiley Face" disappeared some days later. I relogged it on the 19 Feb 2017. It shows on my mobile but not on the website. I do have a second mobile and it doesn't show as being logged on there. This also happened with cache GC23136, I relogged it after it disappeared and is now showing on the activity log twice. Any ideas what might be happening.

Hi I have logged a cache GC6G3KG and uploaded a photo on the 13 Feb 2017 on my Android phone. The "Smiley Face" disappeared some days later. I relogged it on the 19 Feb 2017. It shows on my mobile but not on the website. I do have a second mobile and it doesn't show as being logged on there. This also happened with cache GC23136, I relogged it after it disappeared and is now showing on the activity log twice. Any ideas what might be happening.

Which app are you using?

GC23136 has two Found logs by you on the same day. You should delete one of those.

One way a log may vanish is if the Cache Owner archives the log. On GC6G3KG, what was in the photo? At least one of your recent Found logs includes a picture of a cache container at the cache site. A photo of the cool place is great! But a photo of the container, and especially if shown in its place, may spoil the surprise of finding it. Not every CO knows exactly how to remove just a photo. If you didn't post a spoiler photo, what was in the text?

You could contact the CO and ask. It's tricky as a CO to remove duplicate logs just right. When I see that, I'd prefer that finder cleans it up, but they never do :ph34r:. Extra logs are not a big deal until someday in the future when you want to work on your Stats.

You can try to log it again and see what happens. Do that while you're using the web browser, such as what you're doing now. If the strange disappearances remain a mystery, contact Groundspeak. They can see and restore logs.

Edited by kunarion

As Kunarion mentioned, the CO of the cache you logged twice might've deleted your log. If that happened, then you should've received an email telling you that your log was deleted. Some CO's do not want photos of the cache containers posted.

Another thought is - do you use only 1 account name? It's happened before where a cacher had inadvertently created a 2nd account and logged some caches using the 1st account and other caches using the 2nd account.

Which app are you using?

The app I use is the official Geocaching app v4.10

GC23136 has two Found logs by you on the same day. You should delete one of those.

One way a log may vanish is if the Cache Owner archives the log. On GC6G3KG, what was in the photo? At least one of your recent Found logs includes a picture of a cache container at the cache site. A photo of the cool place is great! But a photo of the container, and especially if shown in its place, may spoil the surprise of finding it. Not every CO knows exactly how to remove just a photo. If you didn't post a spoiler photo, what was in the text?

You could contact the CO and ask. It's tricky as a CO to remove duplicate logs just right. When I see that, I'd prefer that finder cleans it up, but they never do :ph34r:. Extra logs are not a big deal until someday in the future when you want to work on your Stats.

You can try to log it again and see what happens. Do that while you're using the web browser, such as what you're doing now. If the strange disappearances remain a mystery, contact Groundspeak. They can see and restore logs.

Thank you for the response I will contact the owner.

Reference the photos - I'm new to Geocaching and thought that the idea was to prove you had been to a cache without giving its location away? Taking a picture of the container or the finder record seems to be the right thing to do. If I'm wrong then let me know.

As Kunarion mentioned, the CO of the cache you logged twice might've deleted your log. If that happened, then you should've received an email telling you that your log was deleted. Some CO's do not want photos of the cache containers posted.

Another thought is - do you use only 1 account name? It's happened before where a cacher had inadvertently created a 2nd account and logged some caches using the 1st account and other caches using the 2nd account.

Thank you for the response.

Re Account name - I only have one.

Re Photos - as I said in a previous reply I though the photo option was there to prove you had been to a location. If that is not the case could you let me know please?

GC6G3KG My admin account sees no logs by you among either the active or archived logs. You may have tried to log it, but apparently no connection was made.

GC23136 has two logs by you, created on two different days.

Hmm - re GC6G3KG - not sure whats going on. I logged it on 13 Feb 2017 and it showed a yellow smiley face on my phone. By the 18th it had disappeared. I logged it again last night and it appears as logged on my phone. It still doesn't appear on the Geocache web site in my "Your Geocaching Logs (All)". On both occasions I had a connection when I logged it.

Hmmmm - re GC23136 - logged on the 13 Feb 2017, and showed a yellow smiley. Later in the week it had gone so it logged again. Will contact owner to get second entry removed.

I though the photo option was there to prove you had been to a location. If that is not the case could you let me know please?

It's best to not show the container (and of course not where it's hidden) so as not to spoil the hunt for others. In special cases, I'll post the log sheet with my signature (you did some of that), and that's generally OK. The "proof" is the cacher's signature on the log, not necessarily a photo of the container. If the container is not as described on the cache page, or if it seems to be getting kind of broken, a picture might be good, even if only sent to the Cache Owner. I take a lot of pictures, many for my own reference. If it seems like a tricky hide, and if there are no previous pictures showing the container, a photo of the cache itself may ruin the surprise for future finders. It seems that your App is not sending the logs, rather than the logs being deleted by a CO. So the log deletions seem unrelated to photos.

A photo of the family having a great day of Geocaching, a photo of the cool landscape or a surprising object you spotted on the way, those are best. The container, not so much :anicute:.

Edited by kunarion
I though the photo option was there to prove you had been to a location. If that is not the case could you let me know please?

It's best to not show the container (and of course not where it's hidden) so as not to spoil the hunt for others. In special cases, I'll post the log sheet with my signature (you did some of that), and that's generally OK. The "proof" is the cacher's signature on the log, not necessarily a photo of the container. If the container is not as described on the cache page, or if it seems to be getting kind of broken, a picture might be good, even if only sent to the Cache Owner. I take a lot of pictures, many for my own reference. If it seems like a tricky hide, and if there are no previous pictures showing the container, a photo of the cache itself may ruin the surprise for future finders. It seems that your App is not sending the logs, rather than the logs being deleted by a CO. So the log deletions seem unrelated to photos.

A photo of the family having a great day of Geocaching, a photo of the cool landscape or a surprising object you spotted on the way, those are best. The container, not so much :anicute:.

Thank you - your tips are very helpful.

Thank you - your tips are very helpful.

I hope you continue to post cool photos! One of my TBs was in Washington state, then visited a castle in Scotland, then was carried back to Washington. Um. Yeah. A photo would be nice... :rolleyes:

When there's a discrepancy, try to fix the logs (re-post, whatever) using the web browser at a PC.

Try uninstalling/reinstalling the App. When logging via the App, check the web site using a web browser (the one on your phone should be fine for a quick check). That way you can correct an issue right away. Maybe uninstall/reinstall will clear up the problem.

Edited by kunarion

Hmm - re GC6G3KG - not sure whats going on. I logged it on 13 Feb 2017 and it showed a yellow smiley face on my phone. By the 18th it had disappeared. I logged it again last night and it appears as logged on my phone. It still doesn't appear on the Geocache web site in my "Your Geocaching Logs (All)". On both occasions I had a connection when I logged it.

Hmmmm - re GC23136 - logged on the 13 Feb 2017, and showed a yellow smiley. Later in the week it had gone so it logged again. Will contact owner to get second entry removed.

1 - I'm not sure of the app, but. Are you sure you are logging on the site, and not as 'save for later'?

2 - You can delete the logs yourself. On the web site you can list your finds and "Edit" them, or even delete duplicates.

1 - I'm not sure of the app, but. Are you sure you are logging on the site, and not as 'save for later'?

2 - You can delete the logs yourself. On the web site you can list your finds and "Edit" them, or even delete duplicates.

Thank you for the reply.

I am using the official Geocaching app V4.10. I believe I am saving them live but will double check next time I'm out.

I have deleted the duplicate log as you suggest.

Re Account name - I only have one.

Re Photos - as I said in a previous reply I though the photo option was there to prove you had been to a location. If that is not the case could you let me know please?

Welcome to the hobby. Hope you are enjoying it.

The only required, by the guidelines, "proof" of your visit is your signature in the logbook. You do not have to post a photo to prove you found the cache. Of course, cachers often post photos of their journey to the cache or the scenery around the cache site or even of random things that have nothing to do with the cache. Such photos are usually not a problem at all.

But posting photos of the actual hiding spot is often considered a "spoiler" photo and not appreciated by the CO.

Even photos of just the container can sometimes be considered a "spoiler", but usually only if the container is something unique that would 'give away' how/where the cache is hidden. For example, if someone posts a photo of a magnetic bolt cache container, then that would be a big hint to cachers that are searching for it.

Posting photos of the scenery around a cache site is usually not a problem, but be careful about posting photos for caches where the final location is not provided in the cache description. For example, multi caches, mystery caches, Wherigo caches.

-- These caches are designed so the finder doesn't know the final location until doing something extra. If you post a photo of the final location for these types of caches, then the CO may delete your photo because it gives a hint to other cachers about what the final location is without them doing the extra steps as designed.

-- Even if your photo doesn't show the final location, the photo may have GPS coords attached to it automatically and someone can easily find out where the photo was taken. This is 'geotagging' and is a setting you can control in your phone's Camera app. It's a good thing to learn about, if you aren't already aware, as it can also be relevant to posting photos on social media or other websites.

Hope this info was helpful and wasn't too much rambling. :)

Edited by noncentric

The android app is currently experiencing this problem. It usually happens when you log a find with a photo or log a find with no mobile reception. A smiley will show immediately but the foundit log doesn't. The smiley later dissapears.

My temporary solution is to log finds without the photo then edit the log via the website to add a pic.

Also keep a list of caches logged with date found to add any that dissapear later.

Painful but all going well it will be temporary as Groundspeak are aware of the issue.

Cheers,

Mike

The android app is currently experiencing this problem. It usually happens when you log a find with a photo or log a find with no mobile reception. A smiley will show immediately but the foundit log doesn't. The smiley later dissapears.

My temporary solution is to log finds without the photo then edit the log via the website to add a pic.

Also keep a list of caches logged with date found to add any that dissapear later.

Painful but all going well it will be temporary as Groundspeak are aware of the issue.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

I'm glad to see that Groundspeak are aware of the issue. I've had similar. Logging caches with a photo from the Android App. Shows on the app as logged, but not on the website. I've taken to doing as you do, logging via the app and then editing the log/uploading photos via the website.

I'd tell you which version of the app I'm using, but my phone decided to stop working on Monday...

Regards,

Duncan

Same problem for me re: posting from the app and including a photo. I hope GS fixes this soon. So frustrating and a waste of time to have to take a separate picture, then go back to the website and upload. This seemed to happen just out of the blue last year. Unfortunately, I learned the function had stopped after I had worked on geoart in Idaho in August where I snapped a photo for each log. I don't write simply "tftc" on my logs, either. I try to write something interesting, and the smiley showed up per usual. I was horrified when I found out later that none of my logs or my pics posted. Poof. Disappeared in cyber space. I took the pics while in the app so there was no way to recover them. Can't believe this hasn't been rectified by now, what, seven months later? :mad: