Oregon's archived Geocaches

Exocet

...To compliment the thread on Washington's archived Geocaches.

Caches by Team Exocet that we've had to archive:

Vernonia Tracks

(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4489)

Water Board Park (it will eventually come back!)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2875

The 1914 Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1476

World's Smallest Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1044

"Strictly hand-held is the style I go." --Beastie Boys

Hey Exocet, Sorry you have had so many archived! How about your Henry, Virgil, Nelson, Gabriel, Tryon cache? We still think that cache should be resurrected but cut short by one park. If you want to set it up, we'll hide the cache in Gabriel park for you! It was a great cache but it would be fine without the Tryon part.

And Makaio, you had the I Hate I-5 X archived but I noticed tonight it is back in action. Way to go!

I know Fractal and Oregone have had some bad luck with some of their caches as well. icon_confused.gif

Hey Exocet, Sorry you have had so many archived! How about your Henry, Virgil, Nelson, Gabriel, Tryon cache? We still think that cache should be resurrected but cut short by one park. If you want to set it up, we'll hide the cache in Gabriel park for you! It was a great cache but it would be fine without the Tryon part.

And Makaio, you had the I Hate I-5 X archived but I noticed tonight it is back in action. Way to go!

I know Fractal and Oregone have had some bad luck with some of their caches as well. icon_confused.gif

Maps-R-Us,

I'm replying via email, but, yeah, we need to hook up and do a cache together.

As far as having a lot of archived caches go... Chad and I have been talking about archiving caches for a variety of reasons - not just because it's been plundered.

World's Smallest Cache was destined to be archived, no doubt there - it was in the middle of Front Street in downtown Portland. Henry, Virgil... was somehow discovered by park authorities (dadgum them visiting geocaching.com!) and 1914 was discovered by rail authorities. Vernonia was archived because I guess we somehow screwed the coords up and haven't been out there in 6 months to try to figure out what the hell's going on.

I'll start another thread, talking about the archival of caches for other reasons than "plundered."

Joe, brushbuster and myself didn't have any problems with Vernonia, but maybe some of the data has changed? I'd thought about going out there to check on the cache just because it's such a cool place, but haven't been able to. If I get the chance, I'll be sure and let you know if it's OK or not.

5505_600.gif

Rose City was messed up from the beginning because I screwed up on the math, sending people miles away from the final point.

Plaid Pleated Cache was my first attempt at hiding one. It was totally messed up. I'm lucky to have had veteran cachers to help out!

I don't plan on replacing Plaid Pleated, but I was thinking of doing a Rose City Redux cache.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

And here's my contribution;

removed This was actually placed in the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument. I archived it when Jeremy tipped me off about NPS policy. I was so embarrassed I mucked up the page so nobody could see what I'd done.

'No Thanks, I'm Just Browsing'

Got plundered.

Elk Rock Island Cache disappeared. Maybe plundered.

Whistle Punk I placed this before I thought to check Buxley's. It turned out FooshFoosh already had another cache placed nearby with almost the same name. The container is now Oneonta.

Big View Recently archived this one because the cache placement contributes to erosion. I might reset it with new coordinates when the road opens and I can retrieve it.

I'd like to add my vote for the resurrection of Vernonia Tracks. It's a great cache and having a GPSR in hand was only part of the story in figuring out how to get to it. Since I'm planning another cache up that direction when the snow melts a little more. I'd also be glad to check on it if you guys or Makaio haven't already.

Rock Creek Overlook - My first cache! If it wasn't for the encouraging emails from Makaio after this one got plundered, I probably wouldn't have continued caching. I also plan on using this park again for a new cache very soon...

Oregon History Lesson #02 - Replaced by Oregon History Lesson #2.1

Oregon History Lesson #03 - Replaced by Oregon History Lesson #3.1

Dude, Where's My Cache? - I strongly believe that this cache was cursed or something. Within one week, I got a note from the FAA about the 'fake' coordinates, some guy in Utah stole the puzzle and called it his own, and I tried to help someone find the cache but accidenly gave them wrong info which sent them to places they didn't need to go.

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

I liked vernonia tracks, too, especially since we made people walk to the end of some pretty scary-looking tracks that just ended in mid-air, about 100+ feet above the ground. icon_smile.gif

We'll see if Chad and I can't bring it back at some point, but that particular section of the cache will NEVER come back - local authorities gave us the smack down on that one.

If we do bring it back, we'll try to make it as exciting as it was before.

Also, we're probably going to bring back waterboard park (someday). We liked making people walk through the tunnel. icon_smile.gif

I liked vernonia tracks, too, especially since we made people walk to the end of some pretty scary-looking tracks that just ended in mid-air, about 100+ feet above the ground. icon_smile.gif

We'll see if Chad and I can't bring it back at some point, but that particular section of the cache will NEVER come back - local authorities gave us the smack down on that one.

If we do bring it back, we'll try to make it as exciting as it was before.

Also, we're probably going to bring back waterboard park (someday). We liked making people walk through the tunnel. icon_smile.gif

Sure Logscaler, go ahead. I've had time to get over my embarrassment and I'm curious to see it again. And there you go, bailing me out one more time. icon_smile.gif

Maps-R-Us, Yea that was a fun one. I literally giggled like a school kid when I finally figured out how to hide the cache in that parking garage. I wonder if that slip of paper is still in Powells? If the snow doesn't stop falling in the mountains soon maybe urban caches will be all thats left to hide.

Sure Logscaler, go ahead. I've had time to get over my embarrassment and I'm curious to see it again. And there you go, bailing me out one more time. icon_smile.gif

Maps-R-Us, Yea that was a fun one. I literally giggled like a school kid when I finally figured out how to hide the cache in that parking garage. I wonder if that slip of paper is still in Powells? If the snow doesn't stop falling in the mountains soon maybe urban caches will be all thats left to hide.

Thanks for the kind words, fractal. Finding that one and seeing the great container you used (now the Hi/Med/Low cache I think?), I knew we needed you hiding more. Little did I know your subsequent caches were gonna test us the way they do!

btw, the aircraft landing gear locking pin from that cache is one of the few cache items I've traded for and kept icon_smile.gif

5505_600.gif

Thanks for the kind words, fractal. Finding that one and seeing the great container you used (now the Hi/Med/Low cache I think?), I knew we needed you hiding more. Little did I know your subsequent caches were gonna test us the way they do!

btw, the aircraft landing gear locking pin from that cache is one of the few cache items I've traded for and kept icon_smile.gif

5505_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Exocet:

Vernonia was archived because I guess we somehow screwed the coords up and haven't been out there in 6 months to try to figure out what the hell's going on.

Vernonia was a particularly perplexing cache. The concept was great, as was the hunting ... even though we never found it. We started looking after you had to cancel the one clue on the trestle. A friend and his wife searched for it, without success. We went back weeks later, in heavy snow (excellent!) and searched for miles, with no luck. Four people pooling resources on that one. We didn't have a fear of heights or anything -- we crossed a huge trestle we thought must be it, but our GPSes said we were .6 miles away. I'm sure we tried approaches that probably were never intentioned, but we were having a grand old time! I tried to contact Exocet with no reply, so I also contacted the very helpful people who had already found it. They gave hints that pointed us to a trestle, but there was no trestle like that one near the coordinates. The coordinates actually pointed to just about 50ft off the road in someone's garden! We knew it had a trestle involved, we had a gazeteer, but there was something funky with the coordinates. Please repost it so we can close that chapter!

Had to archive Garden Shmarden in Silverton. That's okay, because it was lame.

I may have to archive Oregone History Lesson #1 because i group of activists/reed students/city of portland employees are reforesting the area. Good for them!

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

We had to make the Carto Cache - Oregon History Lesson #5 temporarily unavailable since it was stolen last month but are resisting archiving it. We really want to redo it some day. The location and cache idea were well received but the options for hiding a cache at the spot we chose are limited. Any ideas? Should we archive and start over? Redo it like before but just hide the cache better? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Maybe you could do a multi as Makaio suggested and have the final cache coords at a location neaby that has a connection to the Willamette Baseline.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

-Douglas Adams

quote:
Originally posted by navdog:

Maybe you could do a multi as Makaio suggested and have the final cache coords at a location neaby that has a connection to the Willamette Baseline.

We have been thinking of either rehiding the cache, but in a new spot at the WS park, or doing just what you guys have both suggested - a multi-point to a different spot for the actual cache. But the actual spot of the cache should still be tied in with the carto/surveying theme. And on top of that, we really hate to send folks all over the place for half a day of driving.

We thought of doing the final spot near a benchmark but then benchmarks have become very common lately icon_smile.gif so that is out. We actually like the tie in with the baseline. Either Baseline Road in Beaverton/Hillsboro or Stark St. in east Portland would work. Now we just need a spot along the baseline that doesn't have a cache yet!

[This message was edited by Maps-R-Us on April 27, 2002 at 09:58 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by navdog:

We have been thinking of either rehiding the cache, but in a new spot at the WS park, or doing just what you guys have both suggested - a multi-point to a different spot for the actual cache. But the actual spot of the cache should still be tied in with the carto/surveying theme. And on top of that, we really hate to send folks all over the place for half a day of driving.

We thought of doing the final spot near a benchmark but then benchmarks have become very common lately icon_smile.gif so that is out. We actually like the tie in with the baseline. Either Baseline Road in Beaverton/Hillsboro or Stark St. in east Portland would work. Now we just need a spot along the baseline that doesn't have a cache yet!

[This message was edited by Maps-R-Us on April 27, 2002 at 09:58 PM.]

I saw some locationless caches including one called Yellow Jeeps or something along those lines. The guy wanted cooridinates of yellow jeeps. Well since I drive a school bus I thought I'd have a cache called School Bus Cache but the staff turned it down. Felt that it would cause a series of too easy caches.

I guess they are right, but it seems you can drive to any jeep dealer and take a pic of a yellow jeep for crying out loud.

Oh well, it's archieved even before it's found icon_wink.gif

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I saw some locationless caches including one called Yellow Jeeps or something along those lines. The guy wanted cooridinates of yellow jeeps. Well since I drive a school bus I thought I'd have a cache called School Bus Cache but the staff turned it down. Felt that it would cause a series of too easy caches.

I guess they are right, but it seems you can drive to any jeep dealer and take a pic of a yellow jeep for crying out loud.

Oh well, it's archieved even before it's found icon_wink.gif

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by joedohn:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4448 Cache disappeared. Maybe plundered.

This was my favorite site for a cache thus far. Any hope it will be resurrected?

I know for a fact that it was found by non-cachers, as we happened upon them yesterday at another cache site. They said they had found the elk rock island cache by accident a few months ago and looked in it. Then replaced it and visited the geocache site to find out about geocaching.

Anyways, loved this area and would love to see another cache placed there.