New vs Classic Geocaching App

I think that it is premature to retire the classic app. Like others, I strongly favor the classic app. My preference would be to abandon the new app and work with the classic app approach moving forward. I have forced myself to use the new app, and have given it quite a workout. In the end, I just do not like it, but I do like the classic app. This reminds me of when Coke introduced a new flavor in 1985. The old one was loved. The new one was not. Coke Classic survived and the “new” flavor was abandoned. Ponder this quote, “New Coke was on the market in the United States for only a short period, but it remains influential as a cautionary tale against tampering too extensively with a well-established and successful brand.” I wonder if Groundspeak might consider this.

There are three things that I like about the new app. Driving directions, accessing messages, and contacting a cache owner from the app. There are many more things that I do not like about the new app: many aspects of the general interface, lack of ease at getting to options, and lower map “real estate” on screen to name a few. My biggest concern is limiting non-premium users (I am premium and will continue to be) to 1.5/1.5 D/T or below. The old lite app was more newbie friendly. But, the serious premium membership issues are separate from the ineffectiveness of the app itself.

One feature that is important to me is field notes. I am assuming that “Draft Logs” will be the option for field notes. Adding a new feature that is used by many on the day that you retire the app that has this feature does not seem like a good idea.

In the end, I will not be a user of the Geocaching App. I have started using a third-party app. On my phone I have three geocaching apps next to each other: Classic, Geocaching, 3rd-party. I have all but abandoned the new app. I go back and forth between Classic and 3rd-party. The only reason that I am using a 3rd-party app is that I want to be prepared if Classic goes away. I do not want to be stuck with the current Geocaching App. I would love to use Groundspeak’s flagship app. Unfortunately, I will not do so if it is the current Geocaching App.

There are many more things that I do not like about the new app: many aspects of the general interface, lack of ease at getting to options, and lower map “real estate” on screen to name a few.

What is it with the stupid, useless, pointless tiny map?

Is there an expanded view somewhere that I'm missing?

I too am happy with the classic app and I can't see myself adopting the new app if it doesn't have a proper, usable map.