Weather?

lshoop

Welcome to geocaching, and good luck! Yes, geocachers stay active all year long. To ensure success on your hunts as a beginner, look for caches that are size "regular" or "small." Look at the cache listing on the Geocaching.com website (not the smartphone app) to study the details, especially the presence of the "winter friendly" cache attribute icon in the attributes box on the right side of the cache page. (It looks like a snowflake.) Cache hiders in snowy regions often take care to hide their caches so they can be found year-round -- for example, hanging from a tree branch, or hidden in a standing tree that has a hollowed-out spot. Caches hidden at ground level can be hard to find, and "micro" size caches can be harder for the beginning geocacher. Also, look to see if other geocachers have been finding the cache through the winter months, by reading the recent activity in the logs.

Edited by The Leprechauns

We are attempting our first Geocache tomorrow in New York (not the city). We have young children and there is snow on the ground. Is this going to complicate our experience or is it still fun to do in winter months?

I'm in the same predicament. I'm also in New York (Not the city...) And I'd love to find my first cache but the snow is holding me back. I have a couple caches close by that I really looked into/researched, so I know that it's possible to tackle them while there's still snow on the ground. Mostly these are caches that aren't on trails that are easily affected by inclement weather, or caches where the owner mentioned they were off the ground, therefore not buried. If you find any, let me know! Have fun!