Edit log changes original log dat/time :(

Team DEMP

This is related to the poor date/time/timezone handling across the website and API but I just noticed another annoying effect of this...

If you log solely on a mobile app which uses the API, you have a consistent date/time stamp on all your logs. The order in which you logged is maintained and depending on the app and how well it allows overriding some poor default site date/time behavior, the info might even be somewhat accurate. So the recommendation has always been to log in only one place so you don't mix how each (including official app vs website) handle date/time processing.

Well yesterday I needed to go back to a log I posted from an app via the official API to add a picture I needed to generate on my home computer. When I edited the log via the website, all I did was change the body text to include the picture yet the website updated the entire log as if I was just posting it at that time :( Why would the developers update the underlying log date/time when that date was of course not changed when it was edited?

Please work on fixing this extremely poor handling of date/time which creates inconsistent/incorrect data related to our finds.

yup, that is how it is since I started 2014. That is also the reason why I always log directly on the website (on my phone or on pc) to always have 12:00 as the timestamp. Sorting is always ok since after logtimestamps (which are all equal), logs are sorted on creationdate/logid (not sure which one is used, but it is effectively the same)

I have the similar problem.

I'm currently using GSAK to log all my finds. Sometimes I need to edit logs (add missing text or just visit TBs) and the order of the logs change.

Why would the log change it's creation date when editing?

Shouldn't the log always have the same order comparing to the others in the same day?

Is there any way to avoid this behavior?