Best GPS NOT Garmin / Magellan?

hofy67

Our Delorme PN-30 needs replacing and since Garmin bought them out and discontinued the Earthmate series what is the best option out there?

We have had Garmin in the past and never liked the units or the poor customer service from the company.

Magellan is out as they are lacking in quality with poorly built units.

Our Delorme PN-30 needs replacing and since Garmin bought them out and discontinued the Earthmate series what is the best option out there?

We have had Garmin in the past and never liked the units or the poor customer service from the company.

Magellan is out as they are lacking in quality with poorly built units.

my friends are buying Nomu s10, BlackView 6000, and similarly rugged devices for offline mapping and caching for about $100-150, instead of the Garmin tax that pushes prices for simple GPS units into the $400-800 range. The phones listed are tougher than most people realize, and the application choices for caching, navigation, and all things gps are better than stand alone.

if you want something that doesn't have a gsm availability, you're pretty much stuck with Garmin junk.

Edited by ohgood

From what I have read in multiple forums, people who contact Garmin support by phone generally get good results, those who use email support ... not so much. Fortunately, I have never had to contact Garmin support for any serious issues on my 4 Garmin devices, so I can't say one way or the other from personal experience. I have emailed some support questions and have always received an accurate response, although not always the answer I wanted to hear.

One criticism I will make of Garmin is about their arrogance in their own software forums for refusing to allow questions or comments about their most popular products (automotive and handheld devices). Why have a forum if you don't allow customers to use it? But then, the good news is that Garmin's forum policies keep third party forums like this one popular and relevant.smile.gif

Edited by alandb

Garmin has best in industry customer service?? Never when I have had to deal with them. They either flat out refuse to communicate or do their best to pass the buck by saying it is not their or their devices fault.

Weird - I have only had the direct opposite experience with Garmin Customer Service.

I'm curious what y'all are calling customer service for? in the last decade I can think of one instance of calling customer service, for a defective dsl modem.

I always figured if the extended warrantee or customer service were big selling points, what's inside the box must be junk, and picked a different vender.