Loss of cell service

Will the new app work to find a cache if you lose cell service?

If you are navigating to a cache and have the compass in view, yes you will continue to be guided to the cache location even if the phone signal is lost. I have wifi-only devices, and sometimes find a single cache that way, no data. If you try to open other screens, it won't work because of no data, but it works while remaining on the compass.

If you load "lists" in advance, you'll be able to access cache info offline. There are features that require the App to be online, and once you lose the phone signal, or if it gets very weak, you have to avoid tapping them -- otherwise, the App will dutifully try to load something that is unavailable (many Apps are similar when offline).

For my "offline" phone, I've previously loaded it with Pocket Queries of my local area, and a couple of towns and parks I often visit, and some select caches along the way.

Edited by kunarion

We've built the app as best we can to keep functioning after unexpected connectivity loss, but as kunarion mentions, the best option is to create a list of your target caches and save it for offline use, which should guarantee you access to those caches and the necessary map tiles.

Logging a find while offline should also work fine; the app will just save the log and send it when it regains connection. (The upcoming log drafts feature should enhance this further)

We've built the app as best we can to keep functioning after unexpected connectivity loss, but as kunarion mentions, the best option is to create a list of your target caches and save it for offline use, which should guarantee you access to those caches and the necessary map tiles.

Logging a find while offline should also work fine; the app will just save the log and send it when it regains connection. (The upcoming log drafts feature should enhance this further)

Could this be "Field Notes", asked for by many?

If so, PLEASE call it "Field Notes" and not "Draft Logs"!! If so, work it into the "Field Notes" section of the website. Don't create yet another slightly different thing for cell phones.

there are apps that do a tremendously better job than the official application, both on and offline. you can use offline maps, have offline turn by turn navigation, offline trail routing, offline cache descriptions, offline tools to project waypoints, track recording, tons more.