Download disaster

peem

Well here's one I cant figure out. I downloaded 17 caches to my Oregon 700 yesterday. Today I get to my start point and switch on the device and.....no caches. Well I say no caches but there were 33 there which I didn't d/l yesterday. These 33 were old ones. Some of them 4 years old. All 'founds' and most of them before I even got this gps! All have long since been deleted.

It gets stranger. On returning home I plug in the Oregon, spark up Basecamp and there are the 17 I originally d/l. The other 33 are nowhere to be seen.

So, How am I supposed to delete these old ones when they're not showing in Basecamp but remain on the Oregon?

Also Why are the new 17 caches showing in Basecamp but not on the Oregon?

So, How am I supposed to delete these old ones when they're not showing in Basecamp but remain on the Oregon?

GPX files are in the Garmin/GPX folder of the Oregon. If you have an SD card, GPX files also may be in its Garmin/GPX folder if it exists. You may delete files in Windows using the file explorer, going to the appropriate folder, and deleting the files. Before you delete them, make a note of the file names, to compare with the effects you see. Or back up everything first, in case you decide you need some of the files later.

Starting with an empty Garmin/GPX folder, place a couple of GPX files in it using the file explorer (not Basecamp), and see what difference it makes. Then you can try it again with Basecamp.

Also, you can unzip a Pocket Query and place those files directly into Garmin/GPX.

I can't explain why you see different files in Basecamp. They are displayed in various folders in Basecamp. Does Basecamp show any errors when you run it?

It almost sounds like you have the "My Finds" Pocket Query on your Oregon, if they are a bunch of old caches that you once found.

Edited by kunarion

The cleanest way to reset the caches in your GPS is to delete all GPX files in the /Garmin/GPX folders (internal and on the micro SD card, if present) then restart the GPS with no files loaded. This step insures the internal index is cleaned out. After the clean reboot, load caches as you normally do.

I've found I need to do this with my Oregon 650 to keep it (reasonably) stable....

To address the issue of not seeing them. It is a well known issue that occasionally you boot up a Garmin and the caches have disappeared. Doesn't seem to happen as often but to avoid being in the middle of a 25 mile bike ride and have that failure (personal experience) you should always put the caches on the SD Card. Then when you get that you turn it off, remove the SD Card, reboot, turn off, replace SD Card, turn on and it will read the file. It sees it as a new file and reads it.

There have been several explanations about why this happen and as many denials from Garmin that it happens at all.

Ok, first off thanks for your replies. I have removed all GPX Files and also GGZ.ones too.

Partial success I suppose. All those old caches have gone. The bad news is I can't d/l any new ones. I do everything as before and it seems that a cache has been sent to the gps but when I have look it says 'No results found' followed by 'Try adjusting the search parameters' whatever that means.

After all this and in frustration I reset the gps to factory settings and then set it up as I want it, ie as it was. No difference, it still wont accept cache d/l's.

After all that I also rooted out an old Etrex 10 and hooked that up and tried again. No problem at all. There was the cache I've been trying for.

Edited by peem

How would I check if I have set a filter? I have the funnel icon.

Yes I do do them one at a time. It's the method I prefer, you know, pick an area, choose the caches and d/l them. I've never had a problem with the communicator. What is the problem and how would I overcome it?

Maybe you accidentally set a filter. I have an Oregon 650, and I have done this several times, unknowingly. Small screen, large fingers.

Look for the icon that looks like a funnel.

This happens on my wife's Oregon almost every time we go out. I'll bring up a cache on my Montana, and she'll say "wait, I don't have that one!" Sure enough, I'll dig through it and find that a filter has somehow been set.

Sorry to come back to this but it's happening again but it will boil down to one question.

First though let me take you through it. I d/l a few caches successfully(communicator says so)but on opening the gps the same message appears, ie 'No results found. Try adjusting your parameters'*. I rechecked my filters and they are ok. I look in file explorer and under 'Garmin > gpx' there are the ones I have just d/l. Why they do not show when looking on the handheld is beyond me.

So I decided to start again. I cleaned out the GPS and the GPX folders. I even reset the gps once more. I then d/l the caches. There they are in the Garmin/gpx folder. So far so good. I safely unplug the gps and open it up and.... the same message *.

So, they show in the gpx folder but not on the gps!

There is no sd card other than a map card in the garmin. I even removed that to see if it would make any difference, it doesnt. I tried once again on the etrex 10. All went fine.

Now I come to my question. Would it matter that the caches in question are in another country? I know that sounds silly as I can see them in the gpx folder and they have d/l to the etrex 10 with no problem. I ask because I d/l another one from just a few miles away and that one has shown up on the Oregon with no problem whatsoever.

[...] Would it matter that the caches in question are in another country? I know that sounds silly [...]

That's not a silly question. It's not the country that matters - it's the distance from your current location. The newer Garmins do not show caches more than appr. 100 mi away (due to processor power issues with ten thousands possible caches).

Solution: Drag the map to where the cache should be and then zoom in.

Hans

Edited by HHL

Oh thank you HHL. Thats one problem solved, it was really getting on my nerves too. Unfortunately it presents me with another.

You say, Solution: Drag the map to where the cache should be and then zoom in.

Which map and what do I do when I've zoomed in.

Sorry for being dense here but as I've never done it before.......

if the caches are in a different country and you don't have a map loaded for that country then you won't see the caches...

No, that's not correct. You won't see a map for the other country, but the caches would still be displayed just fine. It just may be harder to pinpoint the correct location without a map in the background.

Now, even if you haven't loaded up a map for the other country, you should still have the basic Garmin basemap that comes preinstalled on all of their devices capable of mapping. It's very basic and shows few features, but it should be adequate to narrow in on the approximate location of where you'd expect the caches to be. That is, unless you deleted it at some point. The base map is stored in the file called gmapbmap.img and should be located in the [Garmin drive]\Garmin folder on the device. If you have that file, then you have the base map available.

Here's an example of what the basemap looks like:

basemap.png

Edit: Whoops, image didn't work. I'll try another.

Edited by The A-Team

That's fine. I do have that basemap and so with the fact I'd already put the coords into g/earth I can make a pretty good estimate as to where I'm going.

I want to thank everyone who answered because with the discussions you had amongst yourselves you've solved my original problem and steered me well.

thanks for the pedantry, you knew what I meant...

In all honesty, I did not. That's why I felt I needed to clarify things. You very unambiguously stated that "you won't see the caches", which isn't the case.

Anyway, I'm glad we've collectively been able to help out the OP, and anyone else with a similar issue who may stumble on this discussion in the future.