Forgot to mark TB as dropped

Cazador66

I realize now that I dropped a TB in Hawaii and can't remember exactly which cache. Since then I have been logging that this TB has visited many other caches as it is still listed as being in my inventory. No one has logged that they have retrieved this TB as per the trackables page. If I just relog that I dropped it in a cache, can I somehow delete all the subsequent non "visits"?

I realize now that I dropped a TB in Hawaii and can't remember exactly which cache. Since then I have been logging that this TB has visited many other caches as it is still listed as being in my inventory. No one has logged that they have retrieved this TB as per the trackables page. If I just relog that I dropped it in a cache, can I somehow delete all the subsequent non "visits"?

Maybe you can figure out which cache you placed the TB into. A TB would tend to be in something larger than a "Micro", so you can start with bigger ones. See if you remember something about the Drop, such as the place, the date or time, or the size or description of the TB and of the container. Was there something about the place that prompted you to place it? (Biggest container, big item, whatever).

Look up some of those caches, and the logs may help jar your memory. For example, in this cache log, you mentioned placing a TB, do you remember which TB?

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4XYBM_touch-the-sky

If you delete logs, the "actions" (such as data points of the visits and mileage) remain. If you log a Drop into a place where you did not Drop it, that makes the situation even more confusing. It's best to keep online logs as close as possible to reality :anibad:. Someone may want to try to figure out why a TB is in a particular cache with no log, and it makes things worse if the logs are swiss cheese and the Drop was randomly logged just to get it out of an Inventory.

At least stop logging visits for the one you previously dropped. Leave the other logs as is. Make a Note that you placed it in Hawaii. Contact the TB Owner, and let him know, and he can decide which logs to delete, if any.

Edited by kunarion

I'd say simply quit "visiting" caches with a trackable no longer in your possession.

It'd be nice if you didn't make it more confusing for others than it is now, when/if they grab it to their account. :)

You didn't keep track of which cache you dropped it in, and that might happen more than we thought, but it shouldn't really be that tough to wait for someone to try to fix things.

Dropping a trackable into the wrong cache just to get it out of your inventory isn't helping...

If the TB owner is still active, you can ask them to Mark Missing.

This will take it OUT of your inventory, and put it into an Unknown location. Hopefully, someone will pick it up from wherever you left it, and start logging it correctly again.

No real harm done. I'll just start moving again from its last known location.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

If you delete logs, the "actions" (such as data points of the visits and mileage) remain. If you log a Drop into a place where you did not Drop it, that makes the situation even more confusing. It's best to keep online logs as close as possible to reality :anibad:.

I don't know that much about what's going on under the covers, so I might be wrong, but I'd say that deleting the logs would make the on-line logs as close as possible to reality even though deleting the logs doesn't remove all trace of the visits.

The original poster asked whether he could delete logs, so just to make sure to answer that: yes you can delete TB logs. On the website, go to the TB's page, scroll down to the log, and click on the "visit log" link to bring up the log all by itself, then just above the log on the right side you should see a red trashcan. Click on that to delete the log.

Someone may want to try to figure out why a TB is in a particular cache with no log, and it makes things worse if the logs are swiss cheese and the Drop was randomly logged just to get it out of an Inventory.

I agree with kunarion's sentiment here, but I'd also say that if you have a good guess at where you dropped the TB, then dropping is the better choice. I would find it more confusing to find a TB in a cache and then discover the TB was listed as being in someone's possession than if I found the TB on Kauai and saw that it was listed as dropped on Maui. And I wouldn't be confused at all if the log of the drop on Maui said, "I can't remember if this is where I dropped the TB or whether it was in some other cache on the islands." That's really the most important part: no matter what you do, explain the problem in the logs. This stuff happens, so don't be so embarrassed about it that you avoid trying to help the next person to find the TB do what they can to sort everything out and get the TB back on the straight and narrow.

OK, so much for the nice friendly advice to help you sort it all out. Now I apologize for being brusk, but the much more important lesson for you to learn here is not to log a visit unless you really and for sure know the TB was with you when you visited the cache. Never automatically or habitually log visits. I always make sure to physically check that the TB is where I think it is before I log a visit for it.