Log a geocache on app

Nieken_en_Bas

Hi,

I have a questions about logging a geocache on iphone app. When we find one my son like to log it so he see the smile appear but when we do that we always have to leave a message so i said on the moment found it. I see that a lot of people leave a story so i wonder how the do that, can you log the cache without leaving a message and after doing the tour leave a long message about it?

Hope someone can tell me how to do this?

Thanks in advanced

It's great that you want to write longer stories in your logs. Many, probably most, of the cache owners appreciate receiving longer stories about their caches. Also, other cache searchers/finders sometimes read logs about caches and appreciate hearing about experiences related to a cache.

Some cachers do not log each cache right away, and instead submit logs later when they have time to write longer entries. However, that means that caches will not show the smiley face, which your son wants to see. To create the longer logs, you can edit your 'Found It' log later. It's not possible to edit logs via the app, so you'll need to use a web browser.

You can go to this page to see the full text of your last 15 logs and identify which logs you want to edit. Or, you can go to this page to see all of your logs, but this view won't show the text of your log entries.

On either page, click on "Visit Log" to see your log entry. If you want to edit that log, then click on the pencil icon at the right-side above the log text. This page also allows you to delete the log (red trash can icon) or attach a photo to the log (picture and up arrow icon).

Hope this helps!

The longer logs are better. They act as a reminder as to why you were in the area, and what you were doing!

Imagine, a few years ahead, and most of your logs are "Found It" is that a reminder of the fun - or frustration - you had at the time?

If your son likes to see the Smile, dont discourage him!

As suggested above, edit the log later.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Note that the geocache owner will get an email notice with your original (short) log, but will not get an email notice with your edited (longer story) log.

I prefer to use field notes (a feature that Groundspeak's free Geocaching apps don't support, but other apps and many handheld GPS receivers do support) to save shorthand memos to myself, and then later, when I have a real keyboard, I use those field notes to enter real logs.

For reference, here's the Help Center article on field notes, which covers handheld GPS receivers:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=548

Note that the geocache owner will get an email notice with your original (short) log, but will not get an email notice with your edited (longer story) log.

For this reason, when I log from my phone I use "More later" rather than "Found it." So if the CO or anyone else wants to, they can look for the longer story later. For me, "later" is usually later the same day, but might be the next day.