Timed Zones in Wherigo Kit?

burgo78

At the moment, Kit doesn't have timers. In short, I've been considering adding things to Kit. This will come about only after the current project at work is complete in a couple months. Any time I want to do programming, I need to sink it into that project instead of my own projects.

But you can help me by suggesting how you'd like to interact with Kit to use a timer. I'm thinking you add a timer, which will ask you for a duration and if you want to show the timer to the player (as an item), and if the time remaining should remain visible after the player reaches the destination. It'll ask you which zone to use as a destination (minus the zones that come before the zone with the timer). It'll ask for what you want to tell the player if he or she fails to reach the destination in time. Something like that?

------

So here's a funny thing with timers: displaying the remaining time. It would seem simple: add an item to the player's inventory to show the time remaining. Well, in Wherigo, you can't simply ask for the time remaining. So you do the next best thing: set a countdown timer for one second. Every second, you update the item's name and restart the timer. You could also use an interval timer. Unfortunately, due to the device, the actual time remaining will slowly get out of sync with the current time due to the event processing overhead. However, I think I finally found a way while I was helping bucknuts with one of his friend's cartridges. I can capture the current time and then, when my one second timer expires, restart the timer, then do some quick time math to update the item's name. (I like a countdown timer because I seem to remember some early Garmin Wherigo builds where stopping an interval timer was buggy. In addition, I don't have the issue of having two events fire almost together if the last event takes slightly longer than a second to process due to the device.) Anyway, that's my take on timers.

In a couple months, when the project at work is done, I can come back to working on these other fun projects. So, what do I do for a living? I'm the technical lead software engineer at a metabolomics biotech. Science!

Thanks for the reply.

What id like to do is set a time limit so that you must be at a zone within a certain time or the cartridge locks and you have to restart.

A race against the clock. You may need to run to zones. No questions.

Also is the site currently down i keep getting error messages:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.