Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Goannas

How young is too young?

Firstly, my apologies if this question has been asked before. I've looked but can't find it.

Next weekend we're taking a short break with our daughter, son-in-law and grandsons. We're hoping to introduce the 2yo to Geocaching with a few quick and easy finds near our accommodation.

Is there any (lower) age limit on membership? Is it unreasonable to sign him up to log the finds he participates in? Has anyone else done this and, if so, at what age?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Jenny.

I believe there is a "technical" lower age limit of 13. I say technical because I think it has something to do with U.S.law and it probably has no task practical effect (have heard around the forums that there are plenty of accounts for dogs....)

Edited by Tassie_Boy

I've seen parents create accounts for their kids. I've seen parents buy trackables for their kids, and then have the trackables "visit" caches when the kids accompanied them to those caches. I've seen parents use a single family account. I've seen kids create their own account (and re-log all the family finds) when they got older.

As Tassie_Boy indicated, the terms of use specify that those under the age of 13 are not permitted to use the site. But that doesn't prevent their parents from using the site on their behalf.

And those under the age of 18 but at least 13 may use the site when "under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian". But the details of that supervision are left to the discretion of the parent or legal guardian.

(have heard around the forums that there are plenty of accounts for dogs....)

I created one for my Dachshund and he went as far as Platinum EarthCache Master before losing interest in geocaching. :)

My daughter was allowed to create her own account when she was 9, but she too soon lost interest in geocaching. :(

Thanks all. It turned out that the weather was too hot to be out and about and the muggle factor on the couple of "easy" ones near our accommodation was so high that we had to bide our time and wait til after the kids had left. So the idea is on hold for now but will keep all your comments in mind for the future.

Cheers.

Jenny.

Muggles everywhere!

20170221_0738311.jpg

I just have one account that my son (8 years old) and I share.  I did not see a reason to create an account for him, and most of the good finds near me are in the premium list, and I did not want to pay for 2 memberships.  As for going out and hunting, we all go as a family and this past weekend my 3 year old found the cache that just my oldest and I could not find in the fall.  

I did however go find a used Garmin on Craigslist for my boys to use.  I was not too thrilled about handing them my phone when we would venture into the woods.  If you are patient you can find some good deals.  Currently using an Oregon 550 that I am into for $80

27 minutes ago, StumblinMonk said:

I just have one account that my son (8 years old) and I share.  I did not see a reason to create an account for him, and most of the good finds near me are in the premium list, and I did not want to pay for 2 memberships.  As for going out and hunting, we all go as a family and this past weekend my 3 year old found the cache that just my oldest and I could not find in the fall.  

Cool.  :)     One thing a lot of friends of ours do is pick up a trackable (which now belongs to that child).  Every cache that kid's along on gets "Visited" to the cache with that trackable.  Later, when older and might want to have an account of their own, they can easily go by the finds the parents were thoughtful enough to keep track of for them with that trackable, and backdate their finds. 

Basic members can log a premium cache (but can't view it afterwards) through one of a couple back-door methods.  We show folks geocachingadmin.com, because it's simply enter the GC#, click "log", and start typing.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

On 3/31/2018 at 5:01 AM, cerberus1 said:

One thing a lot of friends of ours do is pick up a trackable (which now belongs to that child).  Every cache that kid's along on gets "Visited" to the cache with that trackable.  Later, when older and might want to have an account of their own, they can easily go by the finds the parents were thoughtful enough to keep track of for them with that trackable, and backdate their finds.

Great idea. Thanks.

On 3/31/2018 at 5:01 AM, cerberus1 said:

Basic members can log a premium cache (but can't view it afterwards) through one of a couple back-door methods.  We show folks geocachingadmin.com, because it's simply enter the GC#, click "log", and start typing.  :)

That's good to know. Will remember that if we have someone else caching with us.

Cheers :)

On 3/30/2018 at 9:01 PM, cerberus1 said:

Cool.  :)     One thing a lot of friends of ours do is pick up a trackable (which now belongs to that child).  Every cache that kid's along on gets "Visited" to the cache with that trackable.  Later, when older and might want to have an account of their own, they can easily go by the finds the parents were thoughtful enough to keep track of for them with that trackable, and backdate their finds. 

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I set up an account for my 6-year-old (because she really wanted a username of her own :rolleyes:) but I routinely forget to log "her" finds. :lostsignal: 

To me geocaching is more than just finding the cache/writing a name on a piece of paper in a box.

I would suggest that a child who is able and willing to do geocaching (selecting cache, downloading a cache, reading a cache page, finding a cache and writing a log), should be allowed by parents to create an account. When a child only has interest in joining the fun in the hunt, nothing else, I see no reason to create an account. Unless of course when parents think geocaching statistics will be the most important thing for this child when it's able to go out geocaching on their own.

Of course a child can have his/her own geocaching nickname (sometimes kids just like to have a name so they can write on the log as well, not just watch you do it), but it doesn't have to be a seperate account. Just mention the nickname in the log as well, just like you would mention a muggle friend that once came along etc.

Would you rather have your first real find/log written by yourself or by your parents a couple of years ago? (aside of the fun/excitement of creating your own account/user name etc)