Release Notes (Website and Geocaching® app: My Lists updates) - February 10, 2017

Read previous website Release Notes

Release Notes - February 10, 2017

We've enhanced the My Lists feature so that it's easier to create and customize geocache lists! Premium members can now use the Geocaching® app and website to

•  

• Add caches to new and existing lists from the cache page.
  • Add caches to new and existing lists from the search map.

In addition to the new functionality above, Premium members can also

•  

• Sort lists by list name, list status, number of caches, and date modified.
  • Toggle list notifications on and off.
  • Set lists as public, private, or shareable.

In every release, we also fix bugs and make other small improvements.

Nate from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

I am enjoying the quicker "add to list" functionality, but I would like to see the ability to modify the name of the cache before saving it to the list. I have a large list of solved puzzles that I keep sorted by adding the county name in front. It's very inconvenient to have to browse to the list, find the cache, and hit "edit" in order to do this.

This functionality could be useful, but it suffers from one issue that was raised when the new list page was rolled out, so I'd like to bring it up again.

The default sorting of lists on both the new list page and the map's new Add to list function is by the most-recently modified. While this may be useful for some use-cases, it's very annoying for others. Personally, I'd much prefer that the lists were sorted in alphabetical order because it makes it easier for me to locate the list I want. With the current sorting method, the list I want could be anywhere in the sort order, so I have to hunt for it. Even when I do find it, the next time I want to add a cache to a list, the lists will likely be in a different order. I think most would agree that moving targets are annoying!

What I would like would be a preference for setting the list sorting method.

---------------------------

Now, as I've been typing this, the behaviour seems to have changed. When I tried this about 15 minutes ago, I'd click the "Add to list" link for a cache on the search result map, and a small pane would pop out beside the cache popup with the options to create a new list or select an existing list. Now, when I click that same link, I'm taken to the traditional bookmarking page (ie. https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/mark.aspx?guid=*). Did the new functionality just get rolled back?

I was surprised to see this change today. So far, I like it. I like having the most recent list used at the top, but I also agree that the current sort order is less useful if looking for different list. A good compromise would be to sort the list as it is currently done with the old method. Place the most recently used list at the top and alphabetize the rest.

I am enjoying the quicker "add to list" functionality, but I would like to see the ability to modify the name of the cache before saving it to the list. I have a large list of solved puzzles that I keep sorted by adding the county name in front. It's very inconvenient to have to browse to the list, find the cache, and hit "edit" in order to do this.

I nodded my head in agreement about changing the title since I do do that, but not very often. But now that I've used it for a day, I realize that I always add a description, and that, too, now requires tracking down the new entry in the list and modifying it. I can't imagine anyone using the description feature anymore. Although at first I thought this feature was pretty slick, now that I realize I can't add a description, I don't care for it at all. I can see how this would work for some people, but I wish I could still use the full addition page even while those that want can still use the quick add.

Yes I'm not to fond of the ADD TO LIST, its good on the map, but on the cache page I'd like the old bookmark.

I do not like having to "EDIT" it after bookmarking it.

I like working on the DeLorme and County caches. I change the name to add the Page Number and the county before the Name.

I try to select caches that are there to be found on our trips. So I check the map, then the cache page, If there are 3 REAL DNF's in a row, I'll select another cache along our route. So most of my bookmarks come from the cache page itself.

Website Add to list: Where is the Ignore list with user specified comments? Actually, where is Add to list comments!

OK. If you open the link in another browser tab, everything works *including comments*. E.G. https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/mark.aspx?guid=1975c690-f2cf-4b76-813a-d8f5c96026ba&WptTypeID=8. *Note: it will not work here!*

Maybe a grease monkey script to make it go back to the original way?

Edited by rickrich

The "list" function is two steps in reverse for me. Here are a couple of examples.

1) When new caches get published, I used to click on the link and go into the cache page and select the "bookmark" link to place them in geographical bookmarks. I have 80 and now have to wade through an unsorted list. I also use the comments box to make notes. The work around has me search through the list which is time consuming, then ....... I need to go into the cache page, refresh the screen, click on the bookmark just established, click on the bookmark, which is at the top, find the cache and "edit". Another nit .... the bookmark name is now grayed out rather than a drop down selection. I have to go back out to the cache page and change the name if I need to place the same cache in another bookmark.

2) When building the detail for a challenge cache, as an example, I must find the cache (using GSAK for instance), and use the new drop down list function. It's nice here when building such a bookmark, the most current list is at the top. I have to refresh the cache page screen and click on the bookmark link to be able to search. Then the normal modification to the "cache name" in order to insert a sequence number for sorting purposes and adding appropriate detail in the "comments" field such as when I found the cache and other related stuff.

I was doing the old process for 12 years and it worked every time with flexibility. It's short and sweet. To me, the new list function on the cache page is the more cumbersome process and rigid. I noticed that a new bookmark format page is in the works. It's not in alphabetical sequence but by some other logic and not by most recent access. I have bookmarks that I have not touched in years and they sort ahead of others more recently used.

I hope this feedback will help reduce the steps and add to the flexibility.

Edited by frisbee'r

OK. If you open the link in another browser tab, everything works *including comments*.

Excellent. Just what I wanted. Normally it occurs to me to try throwing a link to another tab, but for some reason it never occurred to me here, and I doubt it ever would have occurred to me if you hadn't pointed it out. Thanks a lot.

Website Add to list: Where is the Ignore list with user specified comments? Actually, where is Add to list comments!

OK. If you open the link in another browser tab, everything works *including comments*. E.G. https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/mark.aspx?guid=1975c690-f2cf-4b76-813a-d8f5c96026ba&WptTypeID=8. *Note: it will not work here!*

Maybe a grease monkey script to make it go back to the original way?

Alright, that will work, did not think of that as the map opened anther tab before anyways.

thanks.

I nodded my head in agreement about changing the title since I do do that, but not very often. But now that I've used it for a day, I realize that I always add a description, and that, too, now requires tracking down the new entry in the list and modifying it. I can't imagine anyone using the description feature anymore. Although at first I thought this feature was pretty slick, now that I realize I can't add a description, I don't care for it at all. I can see how this would work for some people, but I wish I could still use the full addition page even while those that want can still use the quick add.

Yes, please. While building a list today I found it irritating that I had to go back to the list to find the entry and modify it.

As described above, the new "Add to list" function is frustrating when you wish to add description to the bookmark page. I have found the procedure of opening in a new tab, however when you are don't normally use the right click to open in new tabs, older cacher, it can be frustrating. Can the old Bookmark link be added below the Add to List link? This would be much more user friendly for less computer savvy cachers.

I found the same issue when trying to bookmark from the map. We use the bookmark feature to determine our travel routes - but edit with description information, which we do frequently. Having the Add to List feature only is frustrating, even though right clicking and choosing a new tab functions okay.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Add caches to new and existing lists from the search map.

I can no longer add a cache to the ignore list from the map. I always could and found it useful. It's a pity I can no longer do that directly. Yet another "improvement" that removes functionalities... Thanks

The new "Add to list" function is backwards, in my opinion. I like to add the date that I started attempting or solved a puzzle cache (Mystery, Multi, etc.) and this was very easy to do previously. Now I have to add the cache to a bookmark/list, go to another URL, go to the correct bookmark/list, find the cache among almost 1000 other caches, click edit and finally I'm able to add a date. 3 clicks became almost 10!

The new "Add to list" function is backwards, in my opinion. I like to add the date that I started attempting or solved a puzzle cache (Mystery, Multi, etc.) and this was very easy to do previously. Now I have to add the cache to a bookmark/list, go to another URL, go to the correct bookmark/list, find the cache among almost 1000 other caches, click edit and finally I'm able to add a date. 3 clicks became almost 10!

This has already been mentioned a few times, but it's such a surprising a delightful solution it bares repeating and I guess it's my turn:

Right click on the "add to list" link and that brings up the old add-to-list dialogue where you can enter the description and change the title of the list entry.

This is sufficiently close to the old way that I haven't really decided yet whether it's better or worse to have to open a new tab. And I've also found that in some cases, it really wasn't as important to me as I thought to add a description, so I'm finding the quick add feature useful in addition.

This modification to list sorting has messed up apps that don't make use (yet) of sorting. The default sort method - that is, the order by which apps received your bookmark list - is by last modified date, not as it was, by list Name. That has made app use very frustrating. Being able to sort by various properties is a good addition, but please change the API default back to sorting by List Name. Most apps do not yet have the option to alter the sorting method; or at least if they do, they still first receive the list in a different order.

This has already been mentioned a few times, but it's such a surprising a delightful solution it bares repeating and I guess it's my turn:

Right click on the "add to list" link and that brings up the old add-to-list dialogue where you can enter the description and change the title of the list entry.

This is sufficiently close to the old way that I haven't really decided yet whether it's better or worse to have to open a new tab. And I've also found that in some cases, it really wasn't as important to me as I thought to add a description, so I'm finding the quick add feature useful in addition.

I like having the option to customize the bookmark, but I really like how easy it is to add to a list without clicking through two pages in those cases where I don't need to edit the bookmark. Many thanks for this change!! :antenna:

I like the changes to "My list", but in addition to the already mentionned problem of not being able to edit the bookmark, I would like to be able to get to the My Lists page right off the starting page. So far (to my knowledge) it is only possible over the dropdown list "play" to get to the PQs but not to the bookmark lists.

When I click on "Add to list" on a cache that is on the left side of the map, the list appears even further left. Great, except there is no room (left) ! It should be possible to move something so that the list can be seen, no ?

1c625c52-0932-45a9-b71d-d5459440ad71.png

Edited by Gillala

Thanks for the lists feedback so far, everyone. We’re reviewing all of it and hoping to make some tweaks. For today I have a couple things to discuss.

First, as many of you have discovered there is a workaround to adding a comment and editing the title of a cache when you add it to a list - just right click “Add to List” and open in a new tab or window. That was left in place intentionally and we have no plans to close that particular loophole any time soon.

Second, the sort order of the saved lists in the popup has come in for some valid criticism, so I’d like to sit with one of our designers and test out some other options. It feels valuable to surface the most recent list that was modified, but there are diminishing returns once you get to the 2nd, 3rd, and so on. Maybe there is an option that can elegantly address some of the difficulty in quickly locating the list you want to add to.

We also have some UI bugs to swat for issues such as text alignment, and some introduced bugs like the coordinate edit popup on cache details being transparent. Some of the other things mentioned like ignore list functionality and broader List hub enhancements I think it better to wait, since later this year we are planning to carefully build out a new overall mapping solution, of which I imagine Lists will be a large part.

I’ll continue to keep a watch on discussions about this new feature. Thanks again for the feedback!

Second, the sort order of the saved lists in the popup has come in for some valid criticism, so I’d like to sit with one of our designers and test out some other options. It feels valuable to surface the most recent list that was modified, but there are diminishing returns once you get to the 2nd, 3rd, and so on. Maybe there is an option that can elegantly address some of the difficulty in quickly locating the list you want to add to.

I agree this is tricky, but I think the existing behavior in the edit box is probably the best answer: the default is the last one used, but then the others are listed in alphabetical order. I take advantage of that all the time.

I think someone else mentioned this, but I'll second the comment: I intentionally name my lists so the ones I use more often are alphabetically near the top, so I'd appreciate the interface not intentionally defeating that.

Thanks for the lists feedback so far, everyone. We're reviewing all of it and hoping to make some tweaks. For today I have a couple things to discuss.

You should consider a beta site like https://beta.geocaching.com with a new version of the app referencing the live database. This "beta" is Groundspeaks release that they currently push live but can get useful feedback since it seems whoever is doing the UX is not really using the site as one would as a regular cacher. The beta (GS launch candidate) side should work against the production database 95% of the time and might just need the developers to handle the other 5% where the backend change might not work for both the live and beta versions of the front-end app. This is pretty standard stuff for a professional web developer so it's not asking anything I dont ask of my own teams and my product teams ask of me.

The above doesn't mean you need to react to all the feedback but it certainly would catch much more of what someone seems not to have considered in what gets deployed to customers.

I have just one suggestion, which I don't think has come up yet: MAKE THE POP-UP BOX BIGGER. I have lists with longer titles than will fit in the currently-small box. There is no reason not to make it twice as big in both height and length, which would quadruple the area and make it a lot more functional. Thank you.

P.S. I also agree with this comment by dprovan: "I intentionally name my lists so the ones I use more often are alphabetically near the top [or clustered around a common theme - my addition], so I'd appreciate the interface not intentionally defeating that."

Edited by chaosmanor

I echo some of the earlier posts. Please make it possible to edit the bookmark first before saving it. I work on Delorme challenge caches and have to go back, find the cache and then edit. I have resorted to having two tabs open, one to the bookmark list page and one for the map.

Edited by Chaircity

Hi everyone,

Did anyone have also the problem the the edit coordinate window has no "background" anymore?

Since the last release (or at least I think so) if I open the edit coordinate windows I can barely read it.

AJoS

ef73abd2-7794-4b2e-9f7c-084ffa557b00.jpg

Edited by AJoS

Hi everyone,

Did anyone have also the problem the the edit coordinate window has no "background" anymore?

Since the last release (or at least I think so) if I open the edit coordinate windows I can barely read it.

AJoS

The problem you noted was the subject of another thread and Groundspeak is aware of the issue, as evidenced by their mention of this issue as a "bug" in post #23 of this thread. They've said that they are working on it, so hopefully it will be remedied soon.

I think someone else mentioned this, but I'll second the comment: I intentionally name my lists so the ones I use more often are alphabetically near the top, so I'd appreciate the interface not intentionally defeating that.

Ditto.

My main concern however was also that the API is now by default serving the bookmark lists in last-updated order when it used to be alphabetical. That means any app or website using the API for the bookmark list, assuming alphabetical order, without having any other sorting method, is now displaying the lists in a seemingly random order, since last-updated was never a data point considered. The default, IMO, should be alphabetical, and the 'add to list' option on the website can request it in last-updated order (or perhaps as suggested with the API flag to use alphabetical-with-most-recent-list-first).

Those 3rd party resources can then choose to build in a sorting option if they desire, while not messing up all their users because the default sort has changed with no power (yet) to customize.

Ditto.

My main concern however was also that the API is now by default serving the bookmark lists in last-updated order when it used to be alphabetical. That means any app or website using the API for the bookmark list, assuming alphabetical order, without having any other sorting method, is now displaying the lists in a seemingly random order, since last-updated was never a data point considered. The default, IMO, should be alphabetical, and the 'add to list' option on the website can request it in last-updated order (or perhaps as suggested with the API flag to use alphabetical-with-most-recent-list-first).

Those 3rd party resources can then choose to build in a sorting option if they desire, while not messing up all their users because the default sort has changed with no power (yet) to customize.

So THAT's what happened to my lists. It's driving me crazy that I can no longer easily find the bookmark list I'm looking for because they seem to be in a random order. I am used to scrolling alphabetically to the one I want. Yes, developers, please take these folks' suggestions!!

I almost never visit this subforum so I found this thread by accident. I love how the add to list functionality works right now. It's quick and allows you not to remember you have to add the cache to the list as the last action you want to perform (so e.g. you have to update coordinates or add notes prior adding to list or you'll have to navigate back).

Previously adding to list meant navigating from the listing page (but yes, it gave the benefit of being able to comment). TBH I rarely use the comments in bookmarks as those arent available in the apps. If I have anything to remember I add ot to the comment on the listing page.

I understand that some users have a specific way of composing lists which now has been made harder, but the fact that few of them are complaining here doesn't mean that that is the case with majority. The pleased ones just aren't looking for a place to complain.

Of course it would be the best to please as much people as possible and the people writing here have their important contribution of providing feeedback, but please do not compromise the nice feature you already gave us. I hope some solution can be found that adds the features for speciffic needs without assuming that everyone needs them.

The other issue noted by several others is the ordering of the lists. I liked the ordering used in the 'old' bookmark list page. Within a web session, it would show the last used, but then had a drop-down in alphabetical order.

I almost never visit this subforum so I found this thread by accident. I love how the add to list functionality works right now. It's quick and allows you not to remember you have to add the cache to the list as the last action you want to perform (so e.g. you have to update coordinates or add notes prior adding to list or you'll have to navigate back).

That's a good point. I do like that I can add a cache to a list without being taken to a separate page. For example, if I add a cache to my Solved Puzzle list, then enter the corrected coords. Now I can do that without having to go "Back" in my browser. Perhaps, if it was possible to add comments within the pop-up box, then that would be great. Not sure how feasible it is though.

Yes I don't think anyone is asking that the new functionality be removed or reverted. But there were some aspects that (seemingly) inadvertently made other tasks more tedious. Forcing one ordering of bookmark lists in all areas where previously it was a different order isn't a "feature" :) Data ordering is trivial.

I did find one location where bookmark lists are still ordered alphabetically (apart from the list page itself) - adding to a list, the dropdown selection is alphabetical. But any API retrieval of the bookmark list seems to be forced to last-modified with no option to change it.

Why not provide last-modified order and alphabetical in the new widget? Or the ordering suggested above having the most recent modified first, followed by the rest alphabetical?

I did find one location where bookmark lists are still ordered alphabetically (apart from the list page itself) - adding to a list, the dropdown selection is alphabetical. But any API retrieval of the bookmark list seems to be forced to last-modified with no option to change it.

Why not provide last-modified order and alphabetical in the new widget? Or the ordering suggested above having the most recent modified first, followed by the rest alphabetical?

The ordering I mentioned (also mentioned in posts 5 & 24) is what happens with the dropdown selection you mentioned. If you haven't seen this behavior before, you can recreate:

-- Add 1 cache to a bookmark list, using right-click and dropdown, but don't add it to the 1st list in the alpha list.

-- Go to a different cache and right-click to add it to a bookmark list.

-- Before clicking on the dropdown arrow, you'll see that the dropdown is 'centered' on the list that you assigned the 1st cache to.

Personally, if this type of "last used, then alphabetical" is not feasible - then my preference would be a straight sort by List Name vs a straight sort by Last Used.

The ordering I mentioned (also mentioned in posts 5 & 24) is what happens with the dropdown selection you mentioned. If you haven't seen this behavior before, you can recreate:

-- Add 1 cache to a bookmark list, using right-click and dropdown, but don't add it to the 1st list in the alpha list.

-- Go to a different cache and right-click to add it to a bookmark list.

-- Before clicking on the dropdown arrow, you'll see that the dropdown is 'centered' on the list that you assigned the 1st cache to.

Personally, if this type of "last used, then alphabetical" is not feasible - then my preference would be a straight sort by List Name vs a straight sort by Last Used.

That isn't a sorting of list items, the page just sets the default value in the html select option to the most recent list you saved to. That's basic html.

Sorting the bookmark list so that the topmost item in the list is the most recently used, followed by the rest alphabetically, that's a different thing. Currently that particular list is just sorted alphabetically.

That isn't a sorting of list items, the page just sets the default value in the html select option to the most recent list you saved to. That's basic html.

Sorting the bookmark list so that the topmost item in the list is the most recently used, followed by the rest alphabetically, that's a different thing. Currently that particular list is just sorted alphabetically.

True - the old page doesn't actually "sort" the lists as most recent, then alpha. I suppose the better term would be "presents" the lists that way. I'm not sure if the pop-up box on the cache page can "present" the lists in that type of order way. Or in another way that achieves the same thing, most recent - then alpha. If not, then my personal choice would be to just sort alphabetically.