Has Jeremy stepped down and Bryan is now president?

This has been posted by different people on a couple FaceBook groups. It seems like fake news as it's such an unusual / unprofessional way for information to be 'released'. Can someone from Groundspeak confirm or refute this?

FYI from the Big Cheese at Geocaching HQ:

Hey folks!

Long time lurker, first time (recent) poster here. *waves*

I wanted to give you some shocking news. I've stepped down as president of Geocaching HQ (formerly known as Groundspeak, formerly known as Grounded, Inc.). I'm now Senior Vice President and Bryan Roth has taken the helm as president.

Yes, shocking... maybe. It's been 16 years as president, and I've realized that running a company isn't my passion. I'm an idea guy and the game itself has grown incredibly large over the last 16 years. I'd rather think about ways to make geocaching better and have some time (and resources) to work on smaller projects to help the core team improve the game.

I have been honored to work with Bryan over the years and believe he is the right person to take the helm at Geocaching HQ. He has a deep knowledge of the game and I have always envied his personal skills, both as a leader and as a communicator. He is also someone who doesn't step away from difficult challenges.

And he's a good friend.

I appreciate the opportunity to have some time to think about the game more and come up with ideas that will improve upon it. I believe this hits my talent sweet spot and feel like the company will benefit from the change.

So I'm still here, just changing roles to where I believe I should be.

Jeremy

Ps. Can you share this with others? Sure! We aren't publishing an official press release. But if you want to tweet it, blog it, or whatever, you are welcome to do so. I don't plan on doing any interviews, though. Sorry. :bad:

This has been posted by different people on a couple FaceBook groups. It seems like fake news as it's such an unusual / unprofessional unconventional way for information to be 'released'. Can someone from Groundspeak confirm or refute this?

<SNIP>

Fixed it for you.

geocaching.com isn't a fortune 500 company, so don't expect it to act like one. There's always been a very casual style at HQ because of the leadership. In fact Jeremy even used to post in these forums with some regularity in the very early days.

I'm going to take a wait and see on this. I've not been very happy with the direction of many changes to the website and the game, as managed by GC and a closed mind attitude on finding ways to make things happen as opposed to just taking things away from the game.

Hopeful the game gets better.

The players are the innovators.

I'd rather think about ways to make geocaching better and have some time (and resources) to work on smaller projects to help the core team improve the game.

This might be a very good thing. I've always liked Jeremy's perspective and wisdom on quality of the game.

He posted his perspective several times here in the forums and like you, i agreed with his ideas about how/what he thought geocaching should be. One of the things i've wondered about for awhile now is why his ideas changed? It's almost as if he stepped away from Groundspeak and let someone else, with an almost opposite way of thinking, run the company.

I'd rather think about ways to make geocaching better and have some time (and resources) to work on smaller projects to help the core team improve the game.

This might be a very good thing. I've always liked Jeremy's perspective and wisdom on quality of the game.

He posted his perspective several times here in the forums and like you, i agreed with his ideas about how/what he thought geocaching should be. One of the things i've wondered about for awhile now is why his ideas changed? It's almost as if he stepped away from Groundspeak and let someone else, with an almost opposite way of thinking, run the company.

I agree.

He's probably been busy running the company, and letting other people make decisions about minor aspects of the game itself. Decisions about how far apart caches should be or what souvenirs to create are not really integral to "running the company."

Makes no difference to me whatsoever. Nothing personal. I would admit he has probably done more to get the game where it is than anyone else, but I don't like the part about "Making Geocaching better". That's the main problem with Groundspeak (or whatever it is called at this point), they never know when to leave things alone. But that's another topic I believe.....laughing.gif

Now that Bryan is taking over, does that affect the company's commitment that the traditional game will remain purely free, as Jeremy pledged back in 2001?

Fine.

I, Jeremy Irish, CEO of Grounded, Inc. will never make this a pay to play web site for Geocaching. It is in the best interest of all players that the game remain free and the non-commercial sharing of these coordinates through the web site.

Not that I'm planning for anything, but in the case that there was some sort of gambling cache (who knows, weirder stuff has happened), I suppose that would be in essence a "pay to play" cache. But the traditional game will remain purely free.

How's that?

Jeremy

Now that Bryan is taking over, does that affect the company's commitment that the traditional game will remain purely free, as Jeremy pledged back in 2001?

I wonder how it will effect the Waymarking site. I think Bryan may still enjoy Waymarking. Maybe it will get some attention now?

As for traditional geocaching here, it will always be free. If it wasn't people would likely use one that is... and these Ground$peak people worried about Pokemon GO. Just my opnion, but I see this as a business of selling geocaching. Chances are members will spend money one day.

Think of it as a clean rest room at a gas station, one day the customer may actually buy gas and snacks. :anibad:

I have disagreed with many of his decisions, and that of Groundspeak, but he was able to run with the game and make it his own. Perhaps the change will help him look at the overall game, get some of the smaller projects on track (Wherigo?), and consider new ideas. Given the other thread about whether there is a decline in caching, it undoubtedly will be an important role.

My only recollection of Bryan in these forums is when he promised to improve communication, provide as much information about the subject as he could, and was not heard from again. I hope that Jeremy's description of him is more accurate than the impression I got at the time. I wish the best to them both.

Makes no difference to me whatsoever. Nothing personal. I would admit he has probably done more to get the game where it is than anyone else, but I don't like the part about "Making Geocaching better". That's the main problem with Groundspeak (or whatever it is called at this point), they never know when to leave things alone. But that's another topic I believe.....laughing.gif

That's the main problem I find with a lot of things. Once something achieves "pretty darn good" or "nearly perfect" there's always someone who thinks they can make it better as they drive a wedge between those who liked it as it was and those who don't care.

I've felt much has been taken out of the game, much has been promised to put things right and in the end the game is in a patch of mediocrity.

Those caches I really seek out now, the target or anchor caches, which will pin down my path or exploration are from a different era.

... In fact Jeremy even used to post in these forums with some regularity in the very early days.

Maybe he'll resume doing so, now he's changed focus.

I have always enjoyed reading his old posts on the Waymarking site as well. :)

I really used to like reading his posts back in the day. He was also very helpful when I had a problem, don't remember what it was just that he helped me out.

Once something achieves "pretty darn good" or "nearly perfect" there's always someone who thinks they can make it better

Given that as long as I have been caching (7 years) there as been no shortage of opinions on how to improve geocaching (see the appropriate forum on this site for examples) I don't think geocaching has ever been "nearly perfect."

Once something achieves "pretty darn good" or "nearly perfect" there's always someone who thinks they can make it better

Given that as long as I have been caching (7 years) there as been no shortage of opinions on how to improve geocaching (see the appropriate forum on this site for examples) I don't think geocaching has ever been "nearly perfect."

No, but at one time I can remember it being much more interesting and inclusive, with a feeling of community. That's pretty much gone now.

It depends on how a person want's geocaching to be. For me, geocaching was near perfect back around 05 and 06. There were cachers, at least in our area, that saw our hobby as being more of an adventure. Many of them put forth a lot of effort to help make geocaching more interesting. They made things more fun for others with their placement of caches. While we didn't have tons to find, most of the ones placed tended to have some thought put into them. Creative puzzles, cool containers (most not micro in size), and nice locations were more of the norm than the stuff we see thrown out today. Yep, i miss the good ole days! :(

No, but at one time I can remember it being much more interesting and inclusive, with a feeling of community. That's pretty much gone now.

Where do you people come up with this stuff, seriously.. <_<

I assume it's what happened in his community. In my area, everything's quite interesting and inclusive with a feeling of community, so I saw Crow-T-Robot's comment as referring to a local problem.

I assume it's what happened in his community. In my area, everything's quite interesting and inclusive with a feeling of community, so I saw Crow-T-Robot's comment as referring to a local problem.

I would not be surprised if most oldtimers felt that the feeling of community got lost in their area.

It is definitely also true for my own area and all areas I'm familiar with.

Edited by cezanne

Where do you people come up with this stuff, seriously.. dry.gif

Considering how often you try to describe your area as a geocaching utopia it's entirely that it's your area that is an exception, not where Crow-T-Robot lives.

I would not be surprised if most oldtimers felt that the feeling of community got lost in their area.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but the people in the community the longest are the ones most responsible for keeping the community from getting lost. Not that I mean to cast stones: I'm blessed that my community is not lost because of all the old timers that have kept it healthy, but I had nothing to do with it myself.

Considering how often you try to describe your area as a geocaching utopia it's entirely that it's your area that is an exception, not where Crow-T-Robot lives.

When you say "try", I take it I've been failing to actually describe my area as a geocaching utopia, which is my bad because it definitely is. I keep bringing it up to let everyone know utopia is possible with geocaching as it is today, so changing things is not required. It makes little difference how common such utopias are as long as my comments help make them more common.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but the people in the community the longest are the ones most responsible for keeping the community from getting lost. Not that I mean to cast stones: I'm blessed that my community is not lost because of all the old timers that have kept it healthy, but I had nothing to do with it myself.

When you say "try", I take it I've been failing to actually describe my area as a geocaching utopia, which is my bad because it definitely is. I keep bringing it up to let everyone know utopia is possible with geocaching as it is today, so changing things is not required. It makes little difference how common such utopias are as long as my comments help make them more common.

I should point out that the community feel of caching in dprovan's area is no accident. Many long-time (and not-so-long-time) geocachers have expended a lot of effort into building and maintaining the community.

I could post a long and involved essay on the topic of what makes for a good geocaching community, but it boils down to this: if cachers perceive the activity as a competition where everyone is in it for themselves, community is unlikely to grow. If, on the other hand, activities are designed to be inclusive and cooperation is rewarded, then a healthy community is generally the result.

Many attitudes I see in the forums are not helpful in building a good community. Public rants bemoaning the quality of geocaches and proposing punishments for COs who don't maintain their caches do not contribute to a sense of community. Neither do posts complaining about "power cachers."

I hold some strong opinions about other cachers in my area, but I also recognize that my priorities are not universal and that accommodation to others is part of what keeps us working well together, so I try (not always successfully) to keep those opinions to myself.

Edited by fizzymagic
  • Upvote 1

if cachers perceive the activity as a competition where everyone is in it for themselves, community is unlikely to grow. If, on the other hand, activities are designed to be inclusive and cooperation is rewarded, then a healthy community is generally the result.

I like this, but I would change cooperation to responsibility....'activities are designed to be inclusive and responsibility is rewarded'

I think most would consider throw downs as being a form of cooperation.

There are COs who would rather not be responsible for maintenance and would prefer finders to cooperate in that responsibility.

There are many irresponsible COs who flout the guidelines and are rewarded with favorite points.

How's that working out for you. Based on what I've read from posters from many places, the area where you live *does* seem to be the exception, and it seems to me that its easy to claim that nothing needs to be changed if you're not experiencing those problems yourself. As Fizzy states, creating such a community takes work and changes to guidelines or the the software running the site probably isn't going to work. The change has to come from the community itself.

I could post a long and involved essay on the topic of what makes for a good geocaching community, but it boils down to this: if cachers perceive the activity as a competition where everyone is in it for themselves, community is unlikely to grow. If, on the other hand, activities are designed to be inclusive and cooperation is rewarded, then a healthy community is generally the result.<br style="color: rgb(66, 66, 66); font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(237, 239, 239);">

This pretty much nails it for me. The issue, as I see it, is that there are a lot of areas where there is a perception that the activity *is* a competition where everyone is in it for themselves, and once that starts to take hold it's very hard to reverse it. Perhaps complaining about power cachers or rants about quantity over quality aren't helping, but those are the results what happens when numbers caching becomes the rule rather than the exception. Complaints about the symptoms are understandable if a tangible solution for how to change the mentality of a local community isn't offered.

I could post a long and involved essay on the topic of what makes for a good geocaching community, but it boils down to this: if cachers perceive the activity as a competition where everyone is in it for themselves, community is unlikely to grow.

When I wrote that I feel that the community feeling in my area got lost, I did not have competition in mind and I also did not have cache quality in mind.

It might well be that we have different things in mind when we use "community feeling" - the stress for me is on feeling. That's something emotional, not something for which I can provide a concise definition.

Having "good community feeling" doesn't necessarily equate to having good geocaching. If everyone in the community liked power trails for instance, then it's pretty obvious that most of them would enjoy the camaraderie with each other. Our area has lost much of this camaraderie because of the difference in how each thinks geocaching should be. The number chasers are the bigger portion of cachers in the area and now even they are slowing down.

This is sad but i'll throw this out. We've had a monthly geocaching event going since around 2004. Up until this last year, it was normal to have 30 attendees, sometimes less, sometimes more. The last two events had 4 attendees each. Geocaching just isn't sustaining itself around ours, and i believe many other areas these days. While it's not all on Groundspeak, the company has had a big say on how geocaching has evolved. No matter who is president, i just hope they readjust their focus to making geocaching more of an enjoyable hobby rather than the competitive game it's become.

Edited by Mudfrog

I think it's unlikely that a chair switch between the two top managers at Geocaching HQ would have a near term impact on the utopian or dystopian natures of local geocaching communities. That's a hint to get back on topic.

That said, if Jeremy's time at the office is freed up from decisions like "what HR software should we purchase?" to decisions like "how can we better integrate the mobile and website experiences?", I think there may be a net improvement.

I've known Jeremy and Bryan personally since 2003. They're both great people and great leaders. I wish them both well in their new roles.

I should point out that the community feel of caching in dprovan's area is no accident. Many long-time (and not-so-long-time) geocachers have expended a lot of effort into building and maintaining the community.

I could post a long and involved essay on the topic of what makes for a good geocaching community...

I, for one, would welcome more details about dprovan's area and what they have done to successfully built a good geo-community. I would also welcome a fizzymagic essay on the subject of a good geocaching community.

I decided to start a whole topic on this subject: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=343026

I just read this today, which means, without knowing it I got to hug the new president of Groundspeak last weekend!

CONGRATULATIONS BRYAN!!!!

It couldn't happen to a greater guy!

Thank you Jeremy for all of your hard work through the years. I'm glad you're staying on in another role. I've always appreciated your enthusiasm every time I see you. No matter what job you choose I'm sure you'll do great. I figure It's good to change things up now and then, for myself on a personal level.

I'm so glad it's Bryan who is taking over. I know the company is in great hands.

I hope this works toward the greatest happiness to you both!!

Like others have said, maybe we can get needed new cache types started or the return of web cam caches.

Game has gotten stale. Maybe new leadership will change this.

Web cams were fun, and were only moved to the Waymarking site, so they are still around for Geocaching HQ's customers.

I do agree that this game has got stale, but I see the game as a whole in a state of decline.

Hopefully new leadership can be for the better, but I don't see bringing back Virtuals or Web Cams as long as we have the Waymarking site.

Like others have said, maybe we can get needed new cache types started or the return of web cam caches.

Web cams were fun, and were only moved to the Waymarking site, so they are still around for Geocaching HQ's customers.

I do agree that this game has got stale, but I see the game as a whole in a state of decline.

Hopefully new leadership can be for the better, but I don't see bringing back Virtuals or Web Cams as long as we have the Waymarking site.

If geocachers were given the choice between reinstating virtuals and web cams as geocaches and having the Waymarking site I think I know how most would go.

If geocachers were given the choice between reinstating virtuals and web cams as geocaches and having the Waymarking site I think I know how most would go.

There would be about 50 Waymarkers world wide upset. :laughing: Really, those web cams on the Waymarking site are better maintained. I'm seeing the old ones falling apart.

I got my eye on two Virtuals in GSMNP that looks as if the owner is giving up on them. I know that historic wild fire closed off some of the trails, but they have reopened. :(

Like Wherigo the Waymarking site is just allowed to exist but is not supported any longer. Right now most of the work seems to go into mobile developments.

Like Wherigo the Waymarking site is just allowed to exist but is not supported any longer. Right now most of the work seems to go into mobile developments.

I agree, mobile development is the name of the game for Groundspeak. Hopefully though, the company will put a little bit into the website itself to keep it up to date as well. I know that for me, if it went south, i would too.

I agree, mobile development is the name of the game for Groundspeak. Hopefully though, the company will put a little bit into the website itself to keep it up to date as well. I know that for me, if it went south, i would too.

I would have gave up a few years ago, it was either buy an expensive paperless GPS unit or go mobile. I went mobile, and I believe most geocachers use mobile apps over a GPS unit now.

I believe the Jeremy will come up with some new ideas, he knows that geocaching is stagnating. :)

and I believe most geocachers use mobile apps over a GPS unit now.

This does not match my experience and even less when it comes to the Groundspeak apps (which is of relevance when it comes into which Groundspeak invests time and money).

I know many cachers who use their mobile phones for caching instead of dedicated GPS-devices but many use PQs and/or browers to access the web page. The majority of those I know who mainly rely on apps use third party apps.

I cannot think of any really experienced cacher in my area who mainly relies on the Groundspeak app and does everything from there including logging.