Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Manville Possum

Restaurants that serve Wild Game

18 posts in this topic

Today is Groundhog day here in the US, and I'm sure that Marmots are consumed in other Countries as well, and it made me wonder if there is an existing category for restaurants that serve wild game or bushmeat? :unsure:

If not, I would like to propose the idea and form a group to recruit some members/officers and take my idea to peer review. :)

There's a fine restaurant near me that holds wild game nights if someone needs the location.

They still have a cigar night too, if there's one of those waymark things on that.

Surprised, I've been told groundhog (which I've eaten) tastes nothing like prairie dog.

Anyone know if that's true?

:)

There's a fine restaurant near me that holds wild game nights if someone needs the location.

They still have a cigar night too, if there's one of those waymark things on that.

Surprised, I've been told groundhog (which I've eaten) tastes nothing like prairie dog.

Anyone know if that's true?

:)

The mega Church that I am a member of holds a wild game feast, and another large Church in the area does the same. However restaurants that serve wild game are few and far between, but worth the trip for me. I buy local raised buffalo, and prefer it over beef, but it is about twice the price. I know of one place that sells BBQ Goat, but you have to ask for it as it is not a menu item. It's the second best BBQ that I have ever ate in the US.

I have never had prairie dog, but armadillo is considered to be possum on the half-shell locally. :laughing:

In our area, game meats are widely served.

Buffalo and ostrich are served in steakhouses (posh and not-so-posh) and also are commonly in the menu in other gourmet or "foodie" restaurants. I had a nice rabbit stew in a local Irish pub. An Italian grocer nearby makes sausage from the meat of feral hogs. Yum

We can get hamburgers made with many kinds of exotic meats at chains like Twisted Root, Hopdoddy, etc: buffalo, venison, emu and ostrich meats are always on the menu; alligator and kangaroo are usually on the menu.

Even truck stops make buffalo burgers and venison chili, boar jerky and venison sausage.

Prevalence could be an issue?

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

In our area, game meats are widely served. You can get goat meat (cabrito) in any taqueria, birrieria, or Mexican restaurant.

Buffalo and ostrich are also always served in steakhouses and other gourmet or "foodie" restaurants.

Every Indian restaurant I have ever been in serves several kinds of goat curries -- Goat Korma YUM!!

We can get hamburgers made with many kinds of exotic meats at chains like Twisted Root, Hopdoddy, etc: buffalo, venison, emu and ostrich meats are always on the menu; alligator and kangaroo are usually on the menu.

Even truck stops make buffalo burgers and venison chili, boar jerky and venison sausage.

Prevalence could be an issue, I think.

Wow, that is interesting. I have never heard of a Twisted Root or Hopdoddy. Our Mexican restsurants, which are very few don't serve wild game, or goat on the menu. I would have to drive for over 100 miles to find a restaurant that serves wild game. I can buy frozen alligator from a grocery store, but I have never seen kangaroo offered for sale.

Goat and buffalo are not wild game, but farm raised, so maybe those would not fit such as possums, squirrels, groundhogs/marmots or skunks. :unsure:

So, how many restaurants that serve wild meats call themselves wild game restaurants? This could help with the prevalence issue maybe? :unsure:

I'm just not seeing that many at all from online research. :o

Also, do you know of any that have rattlesnake on the menu?

Interesting idea, however it is going to be a difficult challenge. As you are aware, if it is an independent restaurant (likely most would be) there is a category for those.

Overall restaurants are a hard sell. If a proposal if offered without supporting sources and links it becomes "road kill".

We have seen other proposals that are food related and they slowly migrated to the bottom of the proposal list.

There have been what "we" considered reasonable ideas for a new category that never got enough support to proceed to peer review and in some cases the OP lost interest in proceeding further.

If your proposal, is with the intent for cross posting with the independent restaurant category, this could make your challenge even more difficult.

Commercial or business categories overall are not viewed favorably in peer review. (of course that is my opinion)

I suppose the real question here: How interesting are Restaurants that serve Wild Game?

Edited by BK-Hunters

In my area, almost any restaurant will serve wild game, except for the specialized ones like vegetarian, ethnic food or the like.

But it will be either seasonal (due to hunting regulations), farm raised animals of wild game species (like deer or ostrich), or imported (like kangaroo).

So prevalence is clearly an issue, but not the most important one. Commercial categories almost always suffer from the same drawback. A category can only be successful if all potential entries will be an advantage. A category that is designed to accept every random crap will become crappy itself sooner or later, because some waymarkers are not selective, they are only in it for the numbers.

So, how many restaurants that serve wild meats call themselves wild game restaurants? This could help with the prevalence issue maybe? :unsure:

I'm just not seeing that many at all from online research. :o

Also, do you know of any that have rattlesnake on the menu?

Yes -- many vendors serve rattlesnake at the Nolan county fairgrounds at Sweetwater Texas during Rattlesnake Roundup.

The rattlesnake appetizer always on the menu at The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver was yum, but tough - their elk medallions are delicious, though.

The rattlesnake sausage is tender and delicious at Lonesome Dove Bistro in Dallas.

Again, there are many places to eat snake in Texas, and I haven't even looked in Houston, San Antonio, or Austin. There will be many places in those cities too. And any town with a cafe in the Hill Country of Texas and the Trans-Pecos has at least one place with venison or seasonal wild game on the menu.

The 12-Gage in the tiny Brewster County town of Marathon is famous for its wild game grill.

Restricting waymarks to restaurants with "Wild game" in their names reverses your problem - now they are underprevalent, and it seems like the words are what you are Waymarking, not the establishment. If you are interested in creating a category to catalog places that serve game meats, then any such place should do, no matter what the name.

Also - will festivals and "game nights" like the one at your church be included?

Restricting waymarks to restaurants with "Wild game" in their names reverses your problem - now they are underprevalent, and it seems like the words are what you are Waymarking, not the establishment. If you are interested in creating a category to catalog places that serve game meats, then any such place should do, no matter what the name.

Also - will festivals and "game nights" like the one at your church be included?

What I'm interested in is Waymarking Wild Game restaurants, not just places that sell or serve wild game or jerky.

I had really not thought about including festivals, but that is an idea that may work. I have attended a rattlesnake round up in Claxton, Georgia and that may very well be of interest for the category as a variable.

Hopefully others will weigh in and I can get a better idea of Wild Game restaurants in other Countries.

I know that restaurant categories are tough to pass peer review, and I don't know if this idea has ever been presented, but I think it is of interest and I would use it to locate places that I would be interested in visiting to dine at. I use Waymarking as a data base, not just things to WM.

Interesting idea, however it is going to be a difficult challenge. As you are aware, if it is an independent restaurant (likely most would be) there is a category for those.

I suppose the real question here: How interesting are Restaurants that serve Wild Game?

Oh, really? Just because there is a category already for independent restaurants does that mean we can't have another category for Wild Game restaurants?

How interesting are Restaurants that serve Wild Game? How interesting is having any restaurant listed as a WM? I'm interested in using Waymarking as a data base of places that I find of interest and would like to visit. I use Chilihead's phone app often when out on the road to locate little known places, and I enjoy eating.

I'm just offering up an idea of something that I would make use of.

What I'm interested in is Waymarking Wild Game restaurants, not just places that sell or serve wild game or jerky.

I had really not thought about including festivals, but that is an idea that may work. I have attended a rattlesnake round up in Claxton, Georgia and that may very well be of interest for the category as a variable.

Hopefully others will weigh in and I can get a better idea of Wild Game restaurants in other Countries.

I know that restaurant categories are tough to pass peer review, and I don't know if this idea has ever been presented, but I think it is of interest and I would use it to locate places that I would be interested in visiting to dine at. I use Waymarking as a data base, not just things to WM.

What is the point of this category? Is it to identify wild game restaurants, as in places one can visit to dine on wild game? If so, then why aren't you interested in ANY restaurant that serves wild game on the menu? Not arguing, just trying to understand.

The extremely niche-y Wild-Game-Only restaurants are going to be so few and far between that I don't think there would be enough for a good category. To survive in the high-overhead restaurant business, an owner needs to cater to a wide variety of customers to have any hope of success.

Yelp or Trip Advisor can help you find the restaurants you are looking for :)

Happy Belated Groundhog Day MPH ;)

What is the point of this category? Is it to identify wild game restaurants, as in places one can visit to dine on wild game? If so, then why aren't you interested in ANY restaurant that serves wild game on the menu? Not arguing, just trying to understand.

The extremely niche-y Wild-Game-Only restaurants are going to be so few and far between that I don't think there would be enough for a good category. To survive in the high-overhead restaurant business, an owner needs to cater to a wide variety of customers to have any hope of success.

Yelp or Trip Advisor can help you find the restaurants you are looking for :)

Happy Belated Groundhog Day MPH ;)

I'm looking for those few and far between restaurants, the little known places that may not advertise and can't be found on Yelp or Trip Advisor.

Not enough for a good category? I prefer smaller over more prevalent categories.

In my area, almost any restaurant will serve wild game, except for the specialized ones like vegetarian, ethnic food or the like.

Are there any restaurants in you area that are known as wild game restaurants, not just ones that serve wild game?

Those are the ones that I'm interested in Waymarking.

Baskin-Robbins has more than 7,300 shop locations; of which over 4,800 are located internationally in nearly 50 countries. It never made it to peer review that I am aware. If it did, it failed.

Zaxby's has over 800 locations in the US, has a category description; again if it went to peer review it failed.

There are other food related proposals that did not make it to peer review or else failed.

Baskin-Robbins has more than 7,300 shop locations; of which over 4,800 are located internationally in nearly 50 countries. It never made it to peer review that I am aware. If it did, it failed.

Zaxby's has over 800 locations in the US, has a category description; again if it went to peer review it failed.

There are other food related proposals that did not make it to peer review or else failed.

Again, it's not about the numbers that makes a WM interesting. And we now have space invader graffiti as a category. Wow. <_<

My questions have been answered, this topic can now be closed.