Jobs and geocaching

candlestick

Just wondering if anyone knows of a job that brings them to where the geocaches are or makes it easier to go geocaching? Truck drivers could probably pick up a few geocaches on the road at rest stations but probably not be able to get more than that. I've heard that a journalism job could potentially get you to places where you could geocache or being self employed, of course, you could geocache a lot more. I imagine being retired you could also have a lot more spare time too 😄

The retired cachers here are out there every day, and have thousands of finds. Also, there's a contractor that drives from job to job and grabs FTFs along the way.

Next time the repair person is late for an appointment, glance in their truck to see if there's a gpsr lying on the seat!

:rolleyes:

The Army moves me around every couple years and sends me on temporary duty from time to time. It definitely helps refresh my caching scene -- if I'm going to be somplace for 24 months or less, I don't have to worry so much about rationing myself and can go after whatever local caches I want.

Try seeing if theres a place within 1 hour drive time from where you are such as a restaurant that is in need of employees. Many times a job gives you a reason to go out there far and you are able to geocache there and head even farther to cache. I purposely cache farther from home near the campus I'm attending that day just so I can get a geocache. Sometimes It even makes me closer to an event which I do go to.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a job that brings them to where the geocaches are or makes it easier to go geocaching? Truck drivers could probably pick up a few geocaches on the road at rest stations but probably not be able to get more than that. I've heard that a journalism job could potentially get you to places where you could geocache or being self employed, of course, you could geocache a lot more. I imagine being retired you could also have a lot more spare time too 😄

I would imagine that an airline pilot would be able to get to lots of different places to geocache.

I'm a programmer/systems architect and work at a place that does a lot of collaboration with other universities, as well as federal and international agencies in the realm of Agriculture research. I occasionally get to travel to conferences or meetings related to my work, often by invitation (and support for travel expenses) to various places around the world. Since I started geocaching about 10 years ago, I've traveled to 27 countries (on four continents) for my work. One my say that I'm lucky to be able to travel so often but I've been doing this kinda of work for over 35 years and working in the domain for the last 20 years. I'm not that far away from retirement but imagine that, given that I mostly only geocache while traveling, that I'll probably do less geocaching when I retire.

I had a career change in 2013 and am now a tour guide/tour director. So geocaching helps me in being a tour guide because I am always looking for something offbeat to tell my guests about on tour. Cache descriptions can contain local trivia that comes in handy.

This is not quite the a response to the topic but its related.

An interesting topic that made me scroll through my prior finds on this chilly Saturday when I didn't feel like geocaching.

I work in the headquarters building of a large company with offices in more than twenty states. I travel several times per year on business, either for integrating new acquisitions, for training large groups of employees, or for ongoing support of the business units for which I'm responsible. I have a very understanding manager who knows that I "take the long way" when driving my car to a destination, or when renting a car if I flew to my destination. I will charge my expense account for the direct route from point A to point B, but that's not how geocachers travel! I especially like meetings on Mondays or Fridays, so that I can tack on a weekend of geocaching in a far-off area. Colleagues who know me well will ask "how was the geocaching?" when I arrive at a meeting or return from lunch.

Over the course of about twenty business trips where I had time for geocaching, I've logged more than 450 finds in more than a dozen states.

An interesting topic that made me scroll through my prior finds on this chilly Saturday when I didn't feel like geocaching.

I work in the headquarters building of a large company with offices in more than twenty states. I travel several times per year on business, either for integrating new acquisitions, for training large groups of employees, or for ongoing support of the business units for which I'm responsible. I have a very understanding manager who knows that I "take the long way" when driving my car to a destination, or when renting a car if I flew to my destination. I will charge my expense account for the direct route from point A to point B, but that's not how geocachers travel! I especially like meetings on Mondays or Fridays, so that I can tack on a weekend of geocaching in a far-off area. Colleagues who know me well will ask "how was the geocaching?" when I arrive at a meeting or return from lunch.

Over the course of about twenty business trips where I had time for geocaching, I've logged more than 450 finds in more than a dozen states.

There seems to be two kinds of jobs being talked about here. There are jobs that just get you outdoors almost every day, giving one the opportunity to find caches in your local area. Then there are jobs which allow one to travel to different areas where there will almost always be new caches to be found. Although jobs that involve travel don't necessarily involve work outdoors, it sounds like both Lep and I will make time to find a few caches while traveling to/from some place where one is sent to work. I don't have an expense account but I typically make my own travel arrangements, pay for airfare/accommodations/ground transportation and other expenses, then submit a request for reimbursement. That makes it easy to extend the trip on either end and not include an extra night in a hotel or other non-work related expense. Because most of my trips are international and will almost always involve a layover (unless I drive 5 hours to NYC) I can often choose a layover airport and schedule an overnight layover, and pay for the extra night in a hotel myself. Some airlines will allow one to book a mulit-city trip that includes one of their hubs as a layover for several days without an increase in the airfare. Iceland Air and TAP (Portugal) even have special sites for doing that.

NYPaddleCacher makes an important distinction. I'm very lucky to have a job that includes several business travel opportunities each year. But, back at the office, it's a demanding job that takes up an average of 12 hours time every weekday (probably it would be 11 hours if I didn't spend so much time on Geocaching.com and these forums). My caching opportunities close to home are fairly limited by my work schedule.

In contrast, one of my geocaching buddies is a self-employed handyman. He is able to grab a cache or two on his way to or from a job in a neighboring town. But, due to the nature of his work, he's rarely able to get out of town on vacation.

Okay, listen up, because I have solid career advice for you.

Surveying professionals must have strong mathematical skills in order to understand the complexities of calculating averages, measuring angles and computing land mass areas. Surveying requires specialized equipment, such as high-precision and electromechanical instruments and global positioning technologies, to acquire spatial data, perform data reduction, analyze measurements and make data adjustments.

[/Quote]

Surveying. You've got a head start on the competition because you know GPSRs. Surveyors are traveling daily. They work at property borders. Borders are where the fences are. Fences are where the caches are. Ta-da! And they work where roads are being built. Roads are where the guardrails are. Ta-da!

Want to see your numbers soar? Become a surveyor now!

Surveying. You've got a head start on the competition because you know GPSRs. Surveyors are traveling daily. They work at property borders. Borders are where the fences are. Fences are where the caches are. Ta-da! And they work where roads are being built. Roads are where the guardrails are. Ta-da!

I have a friend who is a surveyor. His "here's where I was working today" posts to FB rival any of the "here's where I was geocaching today" posts to the FB geocaching groups.

Being a pilot definitely offers a lot of travel.

But it may not offer a lot of opportunities for geocaching. A pilot that flies back and forth between New York and Washington DC all day might stay in the flight deck all day and end up in either NY or DC at the end of the day. An international pilot, on the other hand would be more likely to do one flight a day, have an overnight layover some place, then fly somewhere else the next day. A few years ago while departing a plane somewhere in Europe the pilot saw my GPS and asked if I was a geocacher. I couldn't really stop and chat but wondered if he also geocached and where he'd been.

Okay, listen up, because I have solid career advice for you.

Surveying professionals must have strong mathematical skills in order to understand the complexities of calculating averages, measuring angles and computing land mass areas. Surveying requires specialized equipment, such as high-precision and electromechanical instruments and global positioning technologies, to acquire spatial data, perform data reduction, analyze measurements and make data adjustments.

[/Quote]

That sounds awesome! My math skills are probably not up to par, though

I'm retired now, which is the ultimate job for having time to cache! But before I retired, I was a career firefighter. We work 24 hours on duty followed by 48 hours off. I started caching before everyone had smart phones with apps that let them know the instant a new cache in their area came out - you had to watch the cache maps and pages. I had over 100 FTFs before the modern technology changed that aspect of the game.

But firefighting is a great job for caching. I got off duty at 8 am and while the "nine to fivers" were slogging away, I was out finding caches.