Finally.. I've picked a signature item!

fractal

I've been playing this geo-game thing for over a year now, and I've always wanted to have my own signature item...

I toyed with the idea of secret decoder rings for a while. I had a few cheap ones made and gave them to people who helped distribute the geo-decals I made. As cool as the rings would have been, the cost was just insane. I had a cool delivery method picked out as well.. Looks like I'll have to use it for something else icon_wink.gif

So the search continued... And last week it ended!

It's something simple, yet unique: RADIOACTIVE MARBLES! icon_cool.gif

Radioactive? Why are they radioactive? Isn't that dangerous???

The marbles are made from glass that contains uranium-dioxide (also known as Vaseline glass). It gives the glass a green-ish color (hence the Vaseline name). It also makes them slightly radioactive. It's not a dangerous level of radioactivity, but it is measurable with a geiger counter. Just don't eat the marble and you'll be fine icon_wink.gif

Another interesting property of this type of glass, is that it glows under UV light (or black light). Check the pictures below:

Normal:

icon_smile.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish

[This message was edited by fractal on October 02, 2002 at 10:13 PM.]

Way cool! Why does all the good stuff come from Oregon? I just got my Byron & Anne stump pin, way cool. Now I need to find a way to get me one of those too!

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

It's not a dangerous level of radioactivity, but it is measurable with a geiger counter. Just don't eat the marble and you'll be fine icon_wink.gif

but is it safe for KITTENS? joey loves your 'feed your head' boobles so much, i can't imagine the joy that a marble in a plastic ball would bring him. but i'm not brining one home unless the marble is 100% kitten friendly.

I chose LaurenCat because LaurenKittenPoniesFlowersPinkSunshineFairyMeowMeowRainbowHeartLoveBunnyKissKiss was just too F-ing long.

you can get irradiated marbles at the gift shop of the CHREST Museum in Richland Washington. (I am not affiliated, as a matter of fact I don't even go past the gift shop into the museum!!) So they'd be a fun Pacific North West cache treasure.

Time Flies like an arrow. Fruit Flies like a banana

In order to protect kittens, they must stay behind a radiation proof container... But don't worry, we've invented one that's clear so they can still view the wonders of fractal's marbles unobstructed...62637_500.jpg

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again..." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by John E Cache:

quote:

Hey.. You're right! It does kinda look like the green evil thing in 'Heavy Metal.'

-fractal

For days I have been trying to think of the movie your marbles reminded me of.

How about Starman? Didn't he carry a green marble?See the cover: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0088172

Nah... Starman had a silver marble. Heavy Metal is the closest movie I can think of...

Hey fractal, do these grow and shrink and contain evil influences?

[This message was edited by Boojum on October 05, 2002 at 08:38 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Boojum:

...Heavy Metal is the closest movie I can think of...

Hey fractal, do these grow and shrink and contain evil influences?

I can neither confirm nor deny icon_wink.gif

But.. I can say that I will try to get some of these things out there starting on Monday!

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by igor71:

I've got it....remember the "string of pearls" bioweapon from The Rock?

Those green marbles look a little familiar....

Honestly, they are of no bio-threat... as far as I know icon_wink.gif

Just kidding! I don't need any sort of 'agency' asking me a ton of questions about why I'm placing 'radioactive material' around the PDXGeo scene (wonder if I should really take these on the plane to Florida?!). I swear..they're harmless icon_wink.gif

-fractal

[This message was edited by fractal on October 07, 2002 at 04:11 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

Wait! I think he's trying to take over the Portland area caching franchise. icon_biggrin.gif

Already tried icon_wink.gif I was foiled by the fact that I hate to drive 26 into Portland, and the fact that we now have a LOT of really good placers out there icon_wink.gif

Ok.. I've spent too much time in the forums today.. Time to go hide some marbles on the West side icon_cool.gif

-fractal

[This message was edited by fractal on October 07, 2002 at 11:04 PM.]

Ok.. I figured for the first batch I would let folks know where to look for them... After tonight, yer on your own...

I placed a handful of marbles in Makaio's Bastion (revisited) cache, and also put 2 in Makaio's CacheAholics Anonymous cache..but you're not supposed to hunt that one so it doesn't really matter, does it icon_wink.gif

Hung out with Makaio and his daughters for a little bit, and actually took a picture of his youngest holding one of the marbles. Hopefully he can post it soon after it get's developed. And don't worry, it shouldn't give off enough radiation to cause your daughter to mature/grow at an unusually high rate, like your neighbor girl icon_wink.gif

Marbles away!

-fractal

quote:

Hung out with Makaio and his daughters for a little bit, and actually took a picture of his youngest holding one of the marbles. Hopefully he can post it soon after it get's developed. And don't worry, it shouldn't give off enough radiation to cause your daughter to mature/grow at an unusually high rate, like your neighbor girl icon_wink.gif

-fractal

I've learned my lesson. Next time there's a geocache posted in makaio's neighborhood, i'm stayin' away. 'specially if it's car-washin weather.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

So now in addition to the GPSr, fancy Camelbak, space pen, 4WD truck, and metal detector- I need a geiger counter too??!?!?! icon_eek.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by Team JOYSON:

I heard on the news last night that a truck was stollen that contained a "radioctive device". This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with your next shipment of marbles, would it Fractal?

Sounds like a Broken Arrow to me icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

xx.xxxxx-xxxxxx.xxx

W 122 58.ish

[This message was edited by fractal on October 17, 2002 at 05:01 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by slinger91:

, but why in the hell do you have your own geiger counter? just curious.

dadgum! and I thought my brother was the only one that had a geiger counter! Looks like the same model too!

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.