How do I see a list of all archived caches which I have found?

pantadeusz

I guess the title captures it. Using a popular geocaching stats website I can see them on a map along with those that aren't archived, but is there a way to see a list of just the archived ones? Preferably sorted by date of find or date of having been archived. And from multiple countries as well?

I guess the title captures it. Using a popular geocaching stats website I can see them on a map along with those that aren't archived, but is there a way to see a list of just the archived ones? Preferably sorted by date of find or date of having been archived. And from multiple countries as well?

If you're talking about project-gc.com, if I recall correctly, you should be able to do a box check so that only the archived caches are shown.

I'm a paid member @ Project-GC so I can create a custom filter to only show Archived Caches which can be applied to your finds. There are 139 of them though I wouldn't paid a paycheck that is exact as "Archived" caches can take a while to show as archived on Project-GC.

Probably the easiest option is to request your My Finds PQ which contains all of your caches and then load that into a tool such as GSAK or similar where you can filter to show only those that are archived.

Is there some specific question I could try and answer about them ?

On 1/30/2017 at 10:27 AM, HHL said:

Use this as a starter (lists disabled caches as well):

Archived | Disabled Caches (click here)

Hans

Edit: typo

Hans, 

How did you do this?  I would love to see the same results but with another cacher. I know where the archived ones I have found were but I am trying to see if there were every any at the mall and/or why they were removed and I know some local cachers that would have gotten them in their 23000 finds.

11 hours ago, NanCycle said:
12 hours ago, HHL said:

Compare the urls.I added the parameter &e=0 (ie: show caches that are not enabled)

Thanks--that is way beyond my skill level.  It would be nice if they would include options like that in the filters, for those of us who are only semiliterate.

It seems you will get the same result using the "Disabled" filter option. Using that filter sets e=2, but that seems to give the same result as e=0.

gc-filter-disabled.png

19 hours ago, NanCycle said:

Thanks--that is way beyond my skill level.  It would be nice if they would include options like that in the filters, for those of us who are only semiliterate.

I agree that it would be useful to have a document of "power users" which listed all of the parameters which can be set and possible values.   One can figure these out through trial and error but it essentially involves modifying the request URL and trying different values for each parameter to see what happens.  GS *might* not want to do this because it would facilitate screen scraping but as often as examples of "custom URLs" are posted here, documenting it would be useful those inclined to get more out the search than the UI provides.

It looks like setting e= to any value other than 1 will return archived caches.  Leaving off the parameter entirely returns both enabled and disabled caches (as long as the "I have found" parameter is set).

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
11 hours ago, noncentric said:

It seems you will get the same result using the "Disabled" filter option. Using that filter sets e=2, but that seems to give the same result as e=0.

gc-filter-disabled.png

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I agree that it would be useful to have a document of "power users" which listed all of the parameters which can be set and possible values.   One can figure these out through trial and error but it essentially involves modifying the request URL and trying different values for each parameter to see what happens.  GS *might* not want to do this because it would facilitate screen scraping but as often as examples of "custom URLs" are posted here, documenting it would be useful those inclined to get more out the search than the UI provides.

It looks like setting e= to any value other than 1 will return archived caches.  Leaving off the parameter entirely returns both enabled and disabled caches (as long as the "I have found" parameter is set).

Thanks to both of you for the additional information.  Some of us need more help than GS provides.  :)

On 9/13/2017 at 11:47 AM, jdm438 said:

I would love to see the same results but with another cacher. I know where the archived ones I have found were but I am trying to see if there were every any at the mall and/or why they were removed and I know some local cachers that would have gotten them in their 23000 finds.

This is available using project-gc.com; under the "Tools" menu there's an option for "Map compare," which lets you compare your finds with another cacher's (or just your unfound caches, if you don't choose another cacher) for a given area.  You can filter it so it only shows the archived caches.  I believe it's a paid membership option, though.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:
On 9/13/2017 at 8:47 AM, jdm438 said:

I would love to see the same results but with another cacher. I know where the archived ones I have found were but I am trying to see if there were every any at the mall and/or why they were removed and I know some local cachers that would have gotten them in their 23000 finds.

This is available using project-gc.com; under the "Tools" menu there's an option for "Map compare," which lets you compare your finds with another cacher's (or just your unfound caches, if you don't choose another cacher) for a given area.  You can filter it so it only shows the archived caches.  I believe it's a paid membership option, though.

hzoi is right, there is a Project-GC (PGC) function that can be used:  MapCompare  It is a FREE resource and can be used without a PGC membership.

The MapCompare resource is useful if you want to see what caches used to exist in a certain area, regardless of whether you or someone else found it.  I think this is what jdm438 is looking for.  To check a particular area (mall, park, etc) to see what caches had been there, but are now archived.  It can be helpful to see why those caches were archived.  Maybe they were muggled often or an angry neighbor didn't like people coming by or maybe the CO's just didn't want to maintain them anymore.

To do this with MapCompare, you would leave the "compare with" field blank, have both "one found" and "none found" selected in the 1st Show line, and have "archived" selected in the 2nd Show line.  The search can take a while if a large geographic area is selected, so I tend to put close coords in the "center/radius" line and use a small radius of only a few miles.  The resulting map will show archived caches with a red "X" through the icon.

On 9/13/2017 at 0:05 PM, NanCycle said:

Yes, how did you do this?  How do you get the search to return only archived/disabled caches?  I can't find that parameter in the search filters.

On 9/13/2017 at 0:15 PM, HHL said:

Compare the urls.I added the parameter &e=0 (ie: show caches that are not enabled)

Hans, this is brilliant!!  Thanks for sharing this tip.

Now, can you figure out how to view archived caches I haven't found?  I currently use Project-GC for that but if you could do it right on the site that would be awesome.