Etrex 20 Need Help With US Maps

SO, I finally had enough of poor reception using my smartphone app for caching. Yeah, sure, it was good to introduce me to caching but we all hate leaving a location with a DNF because of our phone. That's not to mention poor weather conditions and hiding under my coat to look at the stupid thing that is nowhere near weather-proof. I broke down and bought a refurbished Etrex 20. But...that's the long and short of it. I have NO experience whatsoever. The thing was factory reset. So I've read the manual, played around with it a bit and have decided I absolutely cannot make heads nor tails of the map. It's VERY (and that's the understatement of the year) basic. Keep in mind that even with spotty coverage I was easily finding most caches with my phone...and even multi-caches.

So I guess what I'm asking here is...where and how should I get better maps onto this darn thing? After reading and talking to a friend that owns this model, I was able to put the caches into it. That was easy enough. But I'm looking for something more...satellite I guess for the maps? Something that would show things like tree cover or roads? Free is better, but paid is not out of the question. At this point I do not have an SD in it but DO intend to get one so that's a non-issue. Anyone able to advise?

http://imgur.com/a/n3g51

SO here's what I mean by VERY basic (right)...is this what the map on an Etrex 20 is SUPPOSED to look like? If not, what have I done wrong. If so, how can I get it closer to the app type may (left)? I'm looking for something that shows (BASIC) roads & terrain such as tree cover/fields/water but doesn't need to be as in-depth as the one on the left...just, CLOSER. Any suggestions? If I have to pay, so be it...I just want to get the right thing here. If there's a free way, even better. Thanks for all the help!