ETrex H and EasyGPS

BigOpe

Long time user of Etrex H and EasyGPS (I like it cheap and simple, not too many bells'n'whistles), but latest version of EasyGPS no longer lists the Etrex H as an option. EasyGPS says they no longer support GPS's with serial connection, so it looks like I may have been run over by the technology bus. If indeed my Etrex H is just plain too old, wondering what to do. Plainest Etrex listed in EasyGPS now is the Etrex 10, could buy one of those but how likely is it that six months from now it'll be too old too? How much must I upgrade to be reasonably sure the technology won't overtake me again, while still keeping it relatively cheap and simple? And if I switch to another brand altogether, where in their product line do I fit? Not familiar at all with anything but Garmin. Any advice anyone can offer before I plunk down my money will be welcome. Oh, yeah, and would switching to something other than EasyGPS solve my problem, or are GSAK etc. also snubbing anything as old as my Etrex H?

Most Garmins allow you to 'drag n drop' the gpx files straight in to the correct folder on the GPS. No other 'software' or such is needed.

Yes, but the eTrex H is not among these Garmins. The eTrex H is an older model.

Alternatively, you can try MapSource or BaseCamp.

Or try to find a previous version of EasyGPS.

At some point, it no longer makes sense or becomes useful to support older technology on the grounds that

1. not many people are still using it - that is not enough people use it to justify the cost of supporting it.

2. Older technology may be insecure or unstable.

3. Older technology doesn't support new standards (eg. those old eTrex don't read the GPX file format)

The serial connection is now well over a decade outdated as are the capabilities of the eTrex H. I know lots of people are still attached to these relics, reluctant to replace them with modern devices, but it's the equivalent of still using one of those old digital cameras that records to floppy disk.

You have two options - keep an old computer with an old OS and old version of EasyGPS so you can keep using your old eTrex (not recommended)

Or invest in a new(er) GPS so you can use it with your current computer set-up.

USB aside, for geocaching, it really is worth having a GPS that supports paperless caching.

GPSBabel still supports the serial Garmins. It's easy to imagine a the day I remove it. Honestly, the USB protocol devices might go at the same time as the two are deeply entwined and the last time we saw a NEW Garmin Protocol device (not a paint job or a receiver chip swap) is about fourteen years ago.

Honestly, if you tried it and it didn't work, it's not like I'd spend two hours tracking down one of the devices and the cables and adapters and replicating your OS environment unless it were a contract effort. (Maybe you're a park with 400 of them and it's worth you writing me a check...) I'd probably spend the 30 minutes removing it totally. You probably don't ever want to be the first person using some exact combination of USB/serial adapter, driver, OS, device firmware, and host software unless you're prepared to debug it. You're outside herd immunity with serial devices at this point. I can't really say I miss the days of week-long conversations like this: https://sourceforge.net/p/gpsbabel/mailman/message/4907336/

GPSBabel should even read your old EasyGPS files. https://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_easygps.html is another thing that I doubt anyone has actually used in ten years, but it's at least low-maintenance cost for me.