Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

Flags of the World

73 posts in this topic

There are thousands of municipal flags and most of them are completely unknown outside of their areas. So the category is a nice way to present them and their history. But there are only something about 200 country flags (the UN has currently 193 members, the FIFA 211). And there is only a handful of countries where state flags are actually seen in public places. So the flags are nothing new, we all have seen lists with all country flags and they do not change that often.

So for me, it is more about the locations. Many flags in the same place are a great view, nice to look at, unfurled or not. But the interesting thing about this category are not the flags as such, it is the story behind the location. Why are there so many flags together? What is the special meaning or history of this place? And then, of course, we would like to know what flags there are. But I personally am not interested in actually seeing every single one of them in full size and shape, I already know them. I am more interested in the story that brought these flags together. The complete list of countries or states that are presented usually has a reason and is not random, so it can also be found by some research.

Yes that's the point! This was exactly the main intention of my idea.

We know the country flags's design so well that we can identify them even if they are flured.

But what is the reason for those flags at that location? They are not there by accident.

We will not accept empty flags poles. But groups of flag poles with flured country flags.

And the correct Waymarking department is CULTURE. Because the flags are a part of the culture of every country.

If the group of flags is outside or near an institution of NATO (or European Community or OAS etc), there will be only so many possible countries to determine from what can be seen of any unfurled flags. For groups of flags outside of complexes containing multiple embassies, our Waymarking research skills can determine a list of countries to match any unfurled flags. For groups of state or provincial flags, we already know all the states within the federation. The states represented by unfurled flags can then be deduced. Even an unfurled flag presents colours and shapes.

There are thousands of municipal flags and most of them are completely unknown outside of their areas. So the category is a nice way to present them and their history. But there are only something about 200 country flags (the UN has currently 193 members, the FIFA 211). And there is only a handful of countries where state flags are actually seen in public places. So the flags are nothing new, we all have seen lists with all country flags and they do not change that often.

So for me, it is more about the locations. Many flags in the same place are a great view, nice to look at, unfurled or not. But the interesting thing about this category are not the flags as such, it is the story behind the location. Why are there so many flags together? What is the special meaning or history of this place? And then, of course, we would like to know what flags there are. But I personally am not interested in actually seeing every single one of them in full size and shape, I already know them. I am more interested in the story that brought these flags together. The complete list of countries or states that are presented usually has a reason and is not random, so it can also be found by some research.

Yes that's the point! This was exactly the main intention of my idea.

We know the country flags's design so well that we can identify them even if they are flured.

But what is the reason for those flags at that location? They are not there by accident.

We will not accept empty flags poles. But groups of flag poles with flured country flags.

And the correct Waymarking department is CULTURE. Because the flags are a part of the culture of every country.

We're looking forward to this Category, we like the idea. I have a possible waymark in mind where the flagpoles actually have the countries names on them, but even if all the flags are tightly furled it is still very obvious that they are country flags from different nations. Please, let's not get too nit-picky about whether flags are fully open or not. They are still nations flags whether the wind is blowing or not! Perhaps bringing the number of different country flags down to a lower number, maybe upwards of 5 or 6, will enable more people to create a waymark. Good Luck with this Category, its a good one!

If I understand correctly the main thing is that there should be a large number of flags. They probably will be on flagpoles, but most of the time they will be drooping or unfurled because there is not enough wind.

I know from previous experience trying to photograph a flag is really hard, because either the wind is too light or if the wind is greater it flaps around so much it is still hard to get a clear picture of it.

So the object of the category is to find a place that displays a lot of flags. They may be unfurled or drooping depending on the wind conditions. However the important thing is that are a large number of flags on display.

I understand from the description that Whether you can see what the flag looks like is irrelevant for this category.

Just so we are all on the same wavelength, the term Furled means tightly coiled or rolled up (as a flag with no breeze hanging limply). Unfurled means flying happily in the breeze showing its true colours. However, flags that are quite tightly furled can still be identified as different countries flags from nations around the world.

If I understand correctly the main thing is that there should be a large number of flags. They probably will be on flagpoles, but most of the time they will be drooping or unfurled because there is not enough wind.

I know from previous experience trying to photograph a flag is really hard, because either the wind is too light or if the wind is greater it flaps around so much it is still hard to get a clear picture of it.

So the object of the category is to find a place that displays a lot of flags. They may be unfurled or drooping depending on the wind conditions. However the important thing is that are a large number of flags on display.

I understand from the description that Whether you can see what the flag looks like is irrelevant for this category.

This is my understanding too -- :(

This is my understanding too -- :(

Sounds like encouraging drive-by photos of poor quality. :(

We have worked hard on the category description to make things clear.

I hope the flured/unflured issue is acceptable now.

The minimum number of flags have been set to 5.

Country flags and flags of provinces/states will count.

Thanks for your input and for the discussion!

Category is global, interesting and not redundant.

Now it's time to vote in Peer Review!

Go vote, please!!!

I voted already, but have a few questions:

How do I know whether the flags that I find are really permanent or not? In front of a Hotel for example they might be permanent or just for a limited time, because guests from different countries have come together for a congress or something.

What exactly is "full size"? Flags come in so many sizes. See for example these flags. Is that full size? I guess the answer is no. Well, how about this one.

Last question: Would flag stores be accepted, if they have enough flags in their shop windows?

I voted already, but have a few questions:

How do I know whether the flags that I find are really permanent or not? In front of a Hotel for example they might be permanent or just for a limited time, because guests from different countries have come together for a congress or something.

So sorry I haven't been active enough to cache this category before sent to peer. I really like the work done, but the "permanent" issue is a real hurdle for me. Due to the nature of flag poles, most flags could be easily replaced the moment you walk out the door. Where I live thats what happen again and again. For a week we will have the most wonderful flag collection on display, and the next week all back to normal with just 5-10 poles all with our national flag. Who can tell if a waymark is just a temporary installation or a permanent display.

Hope this category makes is, and I hope the permanent issue can be adressed after the review.

Thanks for your work

So sorry I haven't been active enough to cache this category before sent to peer. I really like the work done, but the "permanent" issue is a real hurdle for me. Due to the nature of flag poles, most flags could be easily replaced the moment you walk out the door. Where I live thats what happen again and again. For a week we will have the most wonderful flag collection on display, and the next week all back to normal with just 5-10 poles all with our national flag. Who can tell if a waymark is just a temporary installation or a permanent display.

Thank you for raising that specific issue. I can think of similar local examples. However, in my local examples, there is usually a core number of flagpoles hosting flags that do not change. Hopefully, that core number of flags will meet the minimum number of five national (or provincial or mixture of national and provincial) flags for this category.

Thank you for your positive comments.

Please vote.

The category is now active, and we are off to a great start.

We are looking forward to your submissions.

Thanks for your support of Flags of the World

28 flags, interested :unsure:

Just as a reminder:

You are required to list all countries and/or states/provinces represented at the location in your long description.

NAMING CONVENTION:

The name of the waymark MUST follow this format:

Name of Site - City, State, Country

Just as a reminder:

You are required to list all countries and/or states/provinces represented at the location in your long description.

NAMING CONVENTION:

The name of the waymark MUST follow this format:

Name of Site - City, State, Country

OK Done

Reviewer enforcement will be a challenge...just sayin'.

Reviewer enforcement will be a challenge...just sayin'.

I don't think that a copy and paste of "You are required to list all countries and/or states/provinces represented at the location in your long description", followed by a click of the DECLINE button is all that much of a challenge. To my knowledge that's the only issue that has surfaced so far.

If the requirement exists it is the duty of all officers to enforce it.

That being said, I don't really have an issue with, for example, bluesnote's "United Nations - New York, NY" submission as it's obvious that the flags flown there will be the flags of all the members of the UN. There must be over 200, no? No - 195. On second thought I would have made him at least go to the trouble of finding out how many there are - it took me about 20 seconds.

Keith

I repeat my unanswered questions.

What exactly is "full size"? Flags come in so many sizes. See for example these flags. Is that full size? I guess the answer is no. Well, how about this one?

Last question: Would flag stores be accepted, if they have enough flags in their shop windows?

I repeat my unanswered questions.

What exactly is "full size"? Flags come in so many sizes. See for example these flags. Is that full size? I guess the answer is no. Well, how about this one?

We are aware that flags come in variety of official standard sizes. The reason for "full size" so not to be confused with small plastic flags that can be purchased at stores, like Wal-Mart, gift shops, etc. We do not allow Stickers, signs, paintings or small plastic flags.

Please do not confuse "full size" to mean other than the standard size of a country and/or province.

As far as your last question: This will have to be discussed with the leader/officers.

Posted (edited)

<_< Edited by elyob