Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

Flags of the World

73 posts in this topic

I'm dealing again with an idea of a new category: Flags of the World

We have already a category for 'Municipal Flags'. I know that. But this idea fills another gap.

The existing category does not accept flags of countries. But the new category will.

For the prevelance discussion: the category will only accept locations with let's say 8 or more different flags of at least 8 different countries.

The countries on site have to be named in the description.

What do you think?

Examples:

Example 1

Example 2

Both your examples are outside, will you accept those that are inside?

I had never thought about the outside and the inside.

But why not inside? Maybe because most Waymarking activities are outside.

But this could be discussed here.

I like the idea, but only for permanent locations. Places you have a chance to visit at least on special occasions, and no one time sightings.

I don't have problem with indoor findings as long as they are accessible by the public.

What about flags of states, provinces and similar larger sub-divisions of countries? I think they should be included.

I like the idea, but only for permanent locations. Places you have a chance to visit at least on special occasions, and no one time sightings.

I don't have problem with indoor findings as long as they are accessible by the public.

What about flags of states, provinces and similar larger sub-divisions of countries? I think they should be included.

I agree only permanent locations. The reason for the indoor question, we have visited several arenas where country flags are displayed of visiting countries. Some were displayed mounted to the walls, or suspended above the rink usually on a cable or sometimes rope.

If you consider individual flags, only one per country/state/province or all?

So far, I like the idea.

...and of course we do not have any pictures. <_<

So then if I visit the permanently placed flag representing the country (or province or state) of Blahblahblah outside its embassy in my country, I get credit for the waymark (and some exotic location on my map)?

So then if I visit the permanently placed flag representing the country (or province or state) of Blahblahblah outside its embassy in my country, I get credit for the waymark (and some exotic location on my map)?

No, I don't read Tante.Hossi's idea this way. It is a normal waymark. What countries are represented by the flags has no influence on the stats, just the actual location. And he wrote about a number of different flags, so an embassy would usually not qualify. It is more for headquarters of international organizations having flags of all member countries, or parliament builings with flags of all the provinces, or airports showing flags of their regularly scheduled destinations. Just to mention three potential locations.

While I am thinking about all of this: Do the flags have to be full size or are smaller versions allowed? 8 or more correct or are you considering one flag as mentioned?

No, I don't read Tante.Hossi's idea this way. It is a normal waymark. What countries are represented by the flags has no influence on the stats, just the actual location. And he wrote about a number of different flags, so an embassy would usually not qualify. It is more for headquarters of international organizations having flags of all member countries, or parliament builings with flags of all the provinces, or airports showing flags of their regularly scheduled destinations. Just to mention three potential locations.

I hope that you are correct. I can visit a flag (anywhere in the world) that happens to be a waymark in the Flags of Organizations category. I will then get geographical credit for the originally posted waymark's location.

Rightly or wrongly, I have also photographed and visited Municipal Flags that may not be the particular Municipal Flag in the originally posted waymark.

Edited by elyob

I don't want a waymark for every single flag. Only one waymark per site. And there have to be 8 differnt flags.

Only countries will count. State and province flags are accepted at the Munnicipal Flags category.

The location should be permanent. As permanent as flags can be. But at sites like airports, train stations, hotels, fair grounds, etc. the flags are nearly permanent.

Indoor might be accepted if the location is open to the public.

I want real flages made of some kind of textile. No stickers, no plastics.

Municipal Flags category does NOT include states and provinces.

"...no US States, or Canadian Provinces..."

Eight national flags in one location might be too rare. I live in a national capital city but no such location comes to mind. You have now given me a good challenge: find eight national flags in one spot. Outside of Europe and UN facilities, this might be too difficult.

So far, the best I can do is six national flags outside of an office tower that hosts five embassies.

Edited by elyob

The breaking point for number of national flags might be 3 or 4. Across North America, one can find businesses (such as motels) where three national flags will be flying: one American flag, one Canadian or Mexican flag and one flag for the homeland of the business owner.

Edited by elyob

I said 8 flags to say a number higher than 1. We could also take 6 or 5. No problem for me.

Maybe we could add the flags of states and provinces if they are not accepted at the Municipal Flags category.

Thanks for your input.

If the category does include flags of states and provinces, national capital regions should probably be excluded. Hundreds of locations of groupings of state and provincial flags could be visited in national capital regions.

This could be an interesting category to develop.

I support accepting province and state flags. There are not that many countries with a federal structure where the province/state flags play any role in the public space, but I know some nice examples.

Maybe five is a good choice for the bottom level (that's selfish, I know a place with five flags of Scandinavian countries :ph34r: ).

And I noticed some places that have lots of national flags in my area (probably in yours as well), but you probably would not want to include them, because the flags do not really belong together: allotment gardens (Schrebergärten).

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

(not my pictures, just results of a short web search)

So far, the best I can do is six national flags outside of an office tower that hosts five

Your picture had some problem to be displayed. It was because the URL of the picture contains the word Waymarking in lower case and this forum software does capitalize any occurrence of the word, so it breaks the picture. You have to hack to URL to circumvent that behaviour.

Here's the correct picture:

87b7c9ec-c2fd-4130-9619-22d3ef321338.jpeg

fi67, thank you very much.

Eight national flags in one location might be too rare. I live in a national capital city but no such location comes to mind. You have now given me a good challenge: find eight national flags in one spot. Outside of Europe and UN facilities, this might be too difficult.

I was in Blackwater, Queensland late last year & there is a park there with the flags of 37 nations, one for each of the nationalities who laboured together to establish the state's largest coal mining area. Naturally I think 8 flags should be the minimum as I took a photo of about 20 plus a few close ups. Blackwater has a population of 5,000 so a capital city should have no problem equalling or exceeding that number of flags.

I support accepting province and state flags. There are not that many countries with a federal structure where the province/state flags play any role in the public space, but I know some nice examples.

Maybe five is a good choice for the bottom level (that's selfish, I know a place with five flags of Scandinavian countries :ph34r: ).

And I noticed some places that have lots of national flags in my area (probably in yours as well), but you probably would not want to include them, because the flags do not really belong together: allotment gardens (Schrebergärten).

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

(not my pictures, just results of a short web search)

Six flags of other nations have flown over Texas -- except in Nacogdoches, which as a hotbed of republicanism had 9 flags, from 3 failed self-declared 19th-century republics.

Also - in Texas, the flag of the Republic of Texas (independent country 1836-1845) and the flag of the US state of Texas (1845-1862; 1865-present) and the flag of the Confederate state of Texas (1862-1865) are ALL the SAME FLAG. So when it flies with the 6 flags, it represents the Republic, NOT the state.

All that having been said, I am not sure the category should accept groups of state and provincial flags also. I like either tightly-focused categories (flags of countries, municipal flags) or very broad categories where anything that meets guidelines is accepted (homemade tombstones, signs of history) so that I know exactly what I can waymark when I see it.

Flags of nations - I know those when I see them. Whether a flag in a group is a city flag or, provincial/state flag for a waymark will be a harder call if I'm off traveling and not up on the local flag designs :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I had never thought about the outside and the inside.

But why not inside? Maybe because most Waymarking activities are outside.

But this could be discussed here.

Many places have "flag halls" with international country flags on display. I think these would be good waymarks in this category as long as the public has the right to access to the hall.

fi67 strampelt schon vor Freude; er denkt insgeheim an seine Schweizer Kantonsflaggen. Ich finde die Kategorie unterstützenswert, bestimmt besser wie eine Flut von "Then&Now" blink.gif Habe den Text bewußt in Deutsch geschrieben um mit dem amerikanischen Präsidenten nicht ins Gehege zu geraten ... cool.gif

Greetings as well !

*SportBaer*

fi67 strampelt schon vor Freude; er denkt insgeheim an seine Schweizer Kantonsflaggen. Ich finde die Kategorie unterstützenswert, bestimmt besser wie eine Flut von "Then&Now" blink.gif Habe den Text bewußt in Deutsch geschrieben um mit dem amerikanischen Präsidenten nicht ins Gehege zu geraten ... cool.gif

Greetings as well !

*SportBaer*

Na ja, die Kantonsflaggen sind schon extrem häufig bei uns, aber in Rudeln treten sie normalerweise nicht auf. Ich kenne aber eine Grenzbrücke in meiner Nähe, die üblicherweise mit allen Flaggen der Schweizer Kantone und der Deutschen Bundesländer geschmückt ist. Zusammen 41 Stück, sieht schon nett aus.

Es gibt ja nur ganz wenige Länder, wo die Bundesstaaten auch Flaggen haben, aber ein paar davon sind eben auch in Waymarking Schwergewichte, wie die USA, Kanada, Deutschland und Australien; ich denke der Einbezug von Bundesstaaten könnte die Akzeptanz für die Kategorie steigern.

Na ja, die Kantonsflaggen sind schon extrem häufig bei uns, aber in Rudeln treten sie normalerweise nicht auf. Ich kenne aber eine Grenzbrücke in meiner Nähe, die üblicherweise mit allen Flaggen der Schweizer Kantone und der Deutschen Bundesländer geschmückt ist. Zusammen 41 Stück, sieht schon nett aus.

Es gibt ja nur ganz wenige Länder, wo die Bundesstaaten auch Flaggen haben, aber ein paar davon sind eben auch in Waymarking Schwergewichte, wie die USA, Kanada, Deutschland und Australien; ich denke der Einbezug von Bundesstaaten könnte die Akzeptanz für die Kategorie steigern.

Well said, both of you.

Have you started a group yet? If so, please provide link.

We would like to read the proposal.

Prima !! Es gibt seit gestern die neue Gruppe Flags of the world. Klar, das ich mich eingenistet habe coolsignal.gif Mal sehen wie es weitergeht

*SportBaer* dscn0185z9stnig103_thumb.jpg

Edited by *Team Krombaer*

Thanks. We look forward to this new category.

Question

Across the road from where I work is a small park appropriately named the Garden of the Provinces. While the park does fly flags for all ten provinces and three territories, I doubt that all flags could be captured in a single photograph. Would the park still qualify for the category? If so, where would I take co-ordinates?

Across the road from where I work is a small park appropriately named the Garden of the Provinces. While the park does fly flags for all ten provinces and three territories, I doubt that all flags could be captured in a single photograph. Would the park still qualify for the category? If so, where would I take co-ordinates?

If this new category will accept province flags (which has not been decided yet) I would say, yes this park would qualify. I think a picture of most flags would be possible.

The coordinates should be taken a a good point. The flags are well visible, so they have not to be too accurate.

Another Question

When we decide if provincial flags are included and when we decide on the minimum number of flags, would the total number of flags include a combination of national and provincial/state flags?

The officers are working on a first category description.

Two things from former discussion have been (nearly) decided:

- The minimum number of flags have been set to 5.

- Province/State flags will be accepted as well to fill the gap to Minicipal Flags. Of course they count to the flags number.

And further on:

All locations have to be public. Indoor and outdoor locations will be accetpted. The location of the flags should be permanent (as permanent as flags can be).

Only real flags (made of fibric/textile) will be accepted. No stickers, signs, plastic flags and so on.

Thanks for your support and good ideas!

Glad to see you lowered the requirement to 5. If I understand correctly a provincial/state flag can only be part of the group of 5.

Thanks for making this clear. As an example: British Columbia flag, Canadian Flag and 3 others. I like it. :rolleyes:

We already have a location in mind, as soon as all this snow disappears we will be on our way. Looking forward to this new fun category.

I miss a clear requirement for a long description, just a list of country names is not enough. Good waymarks contain also some good narrative and some people are extraordinarily lazy.

And there is not a single word about the permanence of a flag location. BTW: Being a tourist in a new area, I could guess wrong (or cheat). And it is not easy to verify for an officer. This is a problem yet to solve.

And there are no visit instructions yet.

The rest is fine. Five or more national or state flags in one location, that is easy and simple.

As in Municipal Flags and Flags of Organizations it is required that the flag show its logo (unfurled). This at times can be quite challenging. We often take up to 20 to 30 pictures to get that one acceptable picture.

What are your thoughts about this, are we going to require that the flags be at least in part unfurled?

I think the flags must be reasonably unfurled, so that the design is apparent and can be identified. I LOVE windy days for flagging :)

Unfurled flags would be great. But it will be very difficult to get 5 or more flags unfurled at the same time (if it is not a windy day). So this will not be a must have requirement.

Unfurled flags would be great. But it will be very difficult to get 5 or more flags unfurled at the same time (if it is not a windy day). So this will not be a must have requirement.

Works for me. :lol:

How will you distinguish the flags if they are not unfurled?

The more flags, the better. While it's reasonable to have an unfurled requirement for a single flag, it becomes increasingly difficult with the number of flags. You may get five in one picture, but not 20, 60 or more. This requirement would destroy the very best potential locations. I will never support it.

The more flags, the better. While it's reasonable to have an unfurled requirement for a single flag, it becomes increasingly difficult with the number of flags. You may get five in one picture, but not 20, 60 or more. This requirement would destroy the very best potential locations. I will never support it.

In my experience, flags in groups furl and unfurl seemingly randomly, as each flag affects the others' ability to catch the wind, if they are close to one another. So while it may be difficult to get a photo of ALL flags unfurled at once, it is EASY to get photos of a each flag unfurled.

All you have to do is wait a short time and watch: eventually all the flags will unfurl so their designs can be determined.

This is no different from the challenges posed by categories of municipal flags and flags of organizations. The flag design must be able to be determined in order to identify it, and if that takes a bunch of photos, why is that a problem?

This is how I envision the process going: Photo 1 shows flags 1and 4 reasonably unfurled, and flags 2, 3, and 5 are furled. Photo 2 catches flag 3 unfurled, and photo 4 captures flag 2 and maybe 5. Photo 5 catches flag 5 in all its glory. These photos take 2-3 minutes to capture.

No big deal, and all flags can be identified. :)

In my experience, flags in groups furl and unfurl seemingly randomly, as each flag affects the others' ability to catch the wind, if they are close to one another. So while it may be difficult to get a photo of ALL flags unfurled at once, it is EASY to get photos of a each flag unfurled.

All you have to do is wait a short time and watch: eventually all the flags will unfurl so their designs can be determined.

This is no different from the challenges posed by categories of municipal flags and flags of organizations. The flag design must be able to be determined in order to identify it, and if that takes a bunch of photos, why is that a problem?

This is how I envision the process going: Photo 1 shows flags 1and 4 reasonably unfurled, and flags 2, 3, and 5 are furled. Photo 2 catches flag 3 unfurled, and photo 4 captures flag 2 and maybe 5. Photo 5 catches flag 5 in all its glory. These photos take 2-3 minutes to capture.

The main problem is, that in my area flags tend to never unfurl. The wind usually is just not strong enough to unfurl them. It is not about waiting some minutes, but weeks.

I have posted many municipal flags, but almost all of them were hanging versions (over 90%, I checked). In my area it is almost impossible to find an unfurled flag at a vertical flag pole, even more when there are many.

This is a building not far from a place where I once worked, I passed there almost daily for over four years, I have never ever seen a single one of them unfurled.

0184f8c8-c7b7-4aab-bdd1-cdadfdcf4c57.jpg

Though unfurled flags would be ideal, from experience in areas where it is relatively calm; an hour could be spent waiting for that fleeting gust of wind.

Also, sometimes both Keith and I are taking pictures, hoping for that next gust of wind to unfurl the flag, which is often missed. We have on occasion left and returned at a later time. Sometimes this was not possible, especially when traveling. We often drove away unrewarded for our efforts and that was just for one flag, multiply that by 5 and the task is even more difficult. Perhaps it is more windy in Texas.

An alternative could be to list the flags in the long description.

For those waymarkers that are interested in the flag could do a goggle image search which would show the flag.

Municipal Flags requires photos clearly showing the details of the flag. So does flags of organizations. For the life of me, I can't understand why we would want to waymark groups of flags which, because they are furled, we cannot tell what they are representing - states, countries, counties, provinces - who knows what that mysterious cloth banner wrapped tight around a flagpole is :/

I go to lots of cities, but I have only a handful of municipal flag waymarks. Not for a lack of trying, but for lack of ability to get a photo of a discernible design. This frustrates icon hunters (like me) but it's crucial to any flag category that you see the flag in enough detail to identify it and share its design with others.

BUT -- Back to the concept of this category: Why are we Waymarking flags of countries (and maybe states and provinces too) if we can't see them well enough to distinguish them? If we don't have to actually be able to see the flags enough to tell what they are, aren't we really just Waymarking groups of FLAGPOLES?

What kind of category is this? Is it a:

STRUCTURES category (flagpoles),

HISTORY category (don't you need to see the flag?),

BUILDINGS category (again, Waymarking flagpoles at buildings),

BUSINESS category (mysterious unidentifiable flags at businesses?),

MONUMENTS category (flagpoles again, not flags since you can't tell what they are) or a

SIGNS category (where you don't have to see the details of the signs)

It's not an ART (culture) category because you don't have to see the flags.

I keep coming back to what I hint is a bedrock truth: for a category that waymarks FLAGS, you MUST be able to SEE THEM and IDENTIFY THEM, and DISTINGUISH BETWEEN THEM.

To B-K Hunters point, It sometimes stinks but not every waymarker will be able to nab a flag waymark easily. A group of waymarkable flags may be sitting inside folded up, not raised on a rainy day. Such is the bloody weather! This is what makes Waymarking flags a challenge. They are notoriously uncooperative things. Infuriating, even.

Some categories are harder to get than others. Some require luck AND skill AND planning AND research, AND travel. That makes the icon so much sweeter when you finally get it :) I think we have all had that "OMG - I can waymark that in X rare category!" moment. It's a fun moment :)

And I would point out that "universally obtainable" is not a criteria - global, interesting, not over or underprevalent, informative. Those are the criteria.

The main problem is, that in my area flags tend to never unfurl. The wind usually is just not strong enough to unfurl them. It is not about waiting some minutes, but weeks.

I have posted many municipal flags, but almost all of them were hanging versions (over 90%, I checked).In my area it is almost impossible to find an unfurled flag at a vertical flag pole, even more when there are many.

This is a building not far from a place where I once worked, I passed there almost daily for over four years, I have never ever seen a single one of them unfurled.

When you say "hanging versions", do you mean suspended from the ceiling, or wrapped around the flag pole? EDIT -- I looked at your flag WMs, which ar GORGEOUS by the way, and very well photographed. Those are good ways to display your city flag - I wish we had that much creativity about flags in Texas. Ours seem to usually be wrapped around flagpoles or half-heartedly rousing a bit in the scant breeze. It's why I have dozens of photos of city flags, and 2 approved waymarks. It's not for lack of trying, but lack of cooperation.

Over the years, I have had numerous submissions in flag categories declined because I did not get enough of the flag in one photo to be able to see the design. Such is standard Texas warm weather "light and variable winds". I HATE "light and variable" winds!!

And as for your stand of always-furled flags: that site may not be appropriate for this proposed category. It is a sad but true fact that sometimes places that could be waymarked are excluded by category descriptions. Such is Waymarking, sometimes. :(

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I have posted many municipal flags, but almost all of them were hanging versions (over 90%, I checked).In my area it is almost impossible to find an unfurled flag at a vertical flag pole, even more when there are many.

When you say "hanging versions", do you mean suspended from the ceiling, or wrapped around the flag pole? EDIT -- I looked at your flag WMs, which ar GORGEOUS by the way, and very well photographed. Those are good ways to display your city flag - I wish we had that much creativity about flags in Texas. Ours seem to usually be wrapped around flagpoles or half-heartedly rousing a bit in the scant breeze. It's why I have dozens of photos of city flags, and 2 approved waymarks. It's not for lack of trying, but lack of cooperation.

Over the years, I have had numerous submissions in flag categories declined because I did not get enough of the flag in one photo to be able to see the design. Such is standard Texas warm weather "light and variable winds". I HATE "light and variable" winds!!

And as for your stand of always-furled flags: that site may not be appropriate for this proposed category. It is a sad but true fact that sometimes places that could be waymarked are excluded by category descriptions. Such is Waymarking, sometimes. :(

It looks like you have found the answer for my meaning of "hanging", but just to make it clear for others: In my area flags are often mounted on horizontal or slightly diagonal poles, so that gravity, not wind, unfurls them. We also have a lot of vertical poles, of course, but they usually do not result in valid waymarks for the Municipal Flags category.

I think we just have a different approach to this potential category. For you, it is about the flags, pretty much the same as the existing flags category.

There are thousands of municipal flags and most of them are completely unknown outside of their areas. So the category is a nice way to present them and their history. But there are only something about 200 country flags (the UN has currently 193 members, the FIFA 211). And there is only a handful of countries where state flags are actually seen in public places. So the flags are nothing new, we all have seen lists with all country flags and they do not change that often.

So for me, it is more about the locations. Many flags in the same place are a great view, nice to look at, unfurled or not. But the interesting thing about this category are not the flags as such, it is the story behind the location. Why are there so many flags together? What is the special meaning or history of this place? And then, of course, we would like to know what flags there are. But I personally am not interested in actually seeing every single one of them in full size and shape, I already know them. I am more interested in the story that brought these flags together. The complete list of countries or states that are presented usually has a reason and is not random, so it can also be found by some research.

And as for your stand of always-furled flags: that site may not be appropriate for this proposed category.

I thought that photograph perfectly represented the category. The focus is not the flag but the location, a location so unique that (for some reason) many national flags are grouped together on site.

And as for your stand of always-furled flags: that site may not be appropriate for this proposed category.

I thought that photograph perfectly represented the category. The focus is not the flag but the location, a location so unique that (for some reason) many national flags are grouped together on site.

So we are Waymarking places with flagpoles and not flags?