Geochecker link broken?

knhdah

Today, when I tried to access a geochecker on a mystery puzzle page, I got this strange message:

Kan ikke forbinde til SQL-serveren, which translates as can not access SQL server.

I did a Google search to see if geochecker was up, and it says it is. However, another geocacher friend of mine says they're getting the same thing, so I don't think it's on my end. Also I tried to change browsers from Chrome to IE, and got the same thing.

Thanks!

Geocaching.com does not host any geochecker. You should contact the provider of the Geochecker.

Since this is not a website bug, I'm moving the thread to the Geocaching Topics forum.

I'm seeing the same thing when trying to access anything on geocheck.org, including their homepage which makes it a bit difficult to report the problem to them. I hope it's temporary.

Today, when I tried to access a geochecker on a mystery puzzle page...

Again - why to tell us on which cache page this happened. Let's keep it secret. That's the best way to ask for help in a forum. :lol:

Just go to geocheck.org like they said and you can see it for yourself. The server's broken: it cannot access its database.

Today, when I tried to access a geochecker on a mystery puzzle page...

Again - why to tell us on which cache page this happened. Let's keep it secret. That's the best way to ask for help in a forum. :lol:

It isn't relevant. As soon as someone shares a specific cache, the thread quickly becomes about some minor issue with the cache page, or criticism about the puzzle, instead of the issue at hand.

It isn't relevant.

It could be, that the link to the checker on the geochaching puzzle page was not correct formatted.

In this case, you get an error message even the site ist up.

It was already stated that the problem was with the main site. No need to drag an innocent cache into it.

Geocheck.org and geochecker.com are NOT the same thing. One is hosted in the US and the other in Europe. They employ completely different algorithms to implement their checks. I wish geochecker would have a single-entry coordinate input, and I wish that geocheck wouldn't require that ridiculous coordinate format that is incompatible with the coords shown on the cache pages.

[...] and I wish that geocheck wouldn't require that ridiculous coordinate format that is incompatible with the coords shown on the cache pages.

Huh? Geocheck.org uses degrees and decimal minutes (DD MM.mmm) as its format. What's "ridiculous" about that ;) ?

Maybe fizzymagic does not like the format which does not allow a blank between N and the degree part and between E and the degree part in the one field format.

[...] and I wish that geocheck wouldn't require that ridiculous coordinate format that is incompatible with the coords shown on the cache pages.

Huh? Geocheck.org uses degrees and decimal minutes (DD MM.mmm) as its format. What's "ridiculous" about that ;) ?

Maybe fizzymagic does not like the format which does not allow a blank between N and the degree part and between E and the degree part in the one field format.

That would be correct. Such picky formatting requirements are a pain.

I don't think that geocheck.org is overly picky. I just tried the "1 field" format with one of my own puzzles, and all of the following was accepted:

•  
  • N DD° MM.mmm E DDD° MM.mmm
  • N DD MM.mmm E DDD MM.mmm
  • NDD MM.mmm EDDD MM.mmm
  • NDD°MM.mmm EDDD°MM.mmm

In fact, the moment you press the "Check" button, all of the blanks and punctuation are removed from the input field, which ends up as NDDMMmmmEDDDMMmmm.

I don't think that geocheck.org is overly picky. I just tried the "1 field" format with one of my own puzzles, and all of the following was accepted:

•  
  • N DD° MM.mmm E DDD° MM.mmm
  • N DD MM.mmm E DDD MM.mmm
  • NDD MM.mmm EDDD MM.mmm
  • NDD°MM.mmm EDDD°MM.mmm

In fact, the moment you press the "Check" button, all of the blanks and punctuation are removed from the input field, which ends up as NDDMMmmmEDDDMMmmm.

Then they have fixed it recently. Last time I tried with a space between N and the degrees it barfed.