Can't edit geocaches on Garmin eTrex 20

emb021

Ok. Maybe this is something that can't be done. I had looked in the manual.

I have a Garmin eTrex 20. At a geocaching event a year ago, I had all the local caches uploaded into the unit, and they appear under the Geocaching icon, not in the waymark icon.

However, back at the same location this year going after caches I couldn't, I found that a handful of the caches have bad coords. Now, I have my smartphone, but try to avoid using it (GPS on it sucks the battery quickly).

BUT, it seems there is no way to go into the geocaches and edit the coords. If they were waymarks, no prob. Not sure if I just need to re-upload all the caches to the eTrex just to fix a handful.

Any ideas, or is that my only option?

thanks

Once you are actively navigating to a cache, you can then access the geocaching options (description, recent logs, hints, mark it as found/DNF/etc., and change coordinates, which might be called "next stage." You can use this to temporarily create a new cache waypoint associated with the original cache at the new coordinates.

For Multi-caches and Mystery/Puzzle/Unknown caches, you can update coordinates on the website and the updated coordinates will transfer to the GPX file whether you're using individual files or pocket queries. This method doesn't work with regular caches.

.... I found that a handful of the caches have bad coords. Now, I have my smartphone, but try to avoid using it (GPS on it sucks the battery quickly).

BUT, it seems there is no way to go into the geocaches and edit the coords. If they were waymarks, no prob. Not sure if I just need to re-upload all the caches to the eTrex just to fix a handful.

Any ideas, or is that my only option?

thanks

You can't edit geocaches, only waypoints. The only way to get updated coordinates and/or descriptions is to delete them and download them again.

For Multi-caches and Mystery/Puzzle/Unknown caches, you can update coordinates on the website and the updated coordinates will transfer to the GPX file whether you're using individual files or pocket queries. This method doesn't work with regular caches.

Are you suggesting that when I enter corrected coordinates on the website for a traditional cache that new coordinates will not be sent in the GPX file? I hope that is not the case!!

In general, it would be a good idea to refresh (re-download from geocaching.com and reload to GPSr) caches if it's been a year.

• If a cache was archived or disabled since the last time you loaded it to your GPSr, then you will still see it on your screen even though it isn't there any longer.
  • If a cache's coordinates, description, or hint was changed since the last time you loaded it to your GPSr, then you will still see the old info in your GPSr.
  • If new caches have been published in the area since the last time you downloaded caches in that area, then you will not have those caches on your GPSr.

Of course, the last bullet only applies if you are downloading caches based on a geographic area, not if you are downloading based on a specific list of caches.

Are you suggesting that when I enter corrected coordinates on the website for a traditional cache that new coordinates will not be sent in the GPX file? I hope that is not the case!!

I don't think you can edit the coordinates of traditional geocaches on the website. That feature is only available for cache types in which the posted coordinates are not the final coordinates.

I don't think you can edit the coordinates of traditional geocaches on the website. That feature is only available for cache types in which the posted coordinates are not the final coordinates.

Ok... I just noticed that coordinates for traditional geocaches can be updated. Weird, but great. I don't think that used to be the case. Yes, user corrected coordinates should be what is used during the creation of the gpx file. They also appear on the map on the website when viewing PQ results, but not when just browsing all caches on the map.